• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Jack

Some of false peds dogs

Some of our stock

Posted Images

Interesting thread, there is mention that Seamus Erwin bought a bitch called Tar from a bloke in Wales? Nope, he got that bitch from K.Smith in Glengormley,who got the bitch direct from Bill Brightmore. I may be wrong but wasn't K.Smith one of the first lads to keep Patterdales in Norn Iron? I know a few lads from Rathcoole and Monkstown had terriers that he bred.

when hunting in Northern Ireland in 2011 met a fella who'd had is first black terriers from KS, in the 1980s, the lad was still at it and seemed to have a good reputation with the people i met

• Like 1

there not kerry blues in fell or patterdales joe hefferren was one of first men to bring patterdales to south of ireland plus he brought kerry blues to england which were bred in waterford and are still been bred today joe died too years ago he had a kerry blue in his kennells which was bred by same family he had off all does years ago nobody knew what patterdale were thenthey had not be seen before

I know this is a post of a very long time ago, but did you know joe Heffernan well? Lutra Lutra.

There is no Kerry Blue, wheaten ,Glen in any Fell/Patterdale dogs.A lot of bollocks.

And I wouldnt say there were any Gould dogs in Ireland 30 years ago another lot of bollocks.

When did Gould become well known for patterdales in England, late 70's?.Get real f**k sake.Mid 80's maybe believable.

Some people get lost in the mists of time.

In 79 I would doubt there were any Gould dogs in Ireland.Nuttal dogs yes but mainly in the North

Know that a few boys from the North were at Goulds kennels but they came home empty handed.Late 70's.FactFor what it't

For what it's worth Gouldy didn't really get going with the black dogs until early to mid 80s like skinthegoat correctly said. And he stated the best dog he ever had was a jackRussell which was lost underground.Everyone knew he was a dealer. Not pulling him down but a friend once said to me Gouldy would sell his wifes underware if ever he got the chance.

th first gould and nuttall type patterdale were brought over here 30 years ago

FIRST BLACK NUTTAL / GOULD HIT ( IRELAND )WATERFORD DIRECTION 30 YEARS AGO, ANYONE THAT THINKS THERE KERRY BLUE IN THEM ARE TALKING OUT THERE HOLE !!!!!!!! AND THATS A FACT.......

Was at Stacey many yrs back as a lad with my mate who had a blue dog out of Satan. Stacey clamed the dog was bred down from a Kerryblue dog imported from ireland, he had no need to lie.. I bought a 3/4 Brightmore 1/4 Stacey bred bitch from a mate of FSin 1983, and he also gave me the breeding of the bitch. I asked Ken about Satan, and he told me that he used bitchs bred down from this dog mated to Smithy to create his black lines as he was at the time in his words, a russel man, as he did not rate the Nuttal bitchs he had seen. In the breeding of my bitch there is a son of Goulds Simon [Middletons Rex] and Nancy, that had been mated to a Stacey bred bitch called Blue Lass, grand daughter of Satan, a good digging line that a couple of good lads of here work, who also sent dogs over the water 30 yrs back. When looking for a stud in 1991 I asked Ken if there was any of this old blood left as i was looking to use a dog from the same bloodlines. He told me he only knew of 2 dogs still living , 1 was owned by PD from waterford, and the other was DM from the north.

fek there goes my hole again.

incidentally DHs Gould line [Jack x Vicky] also carry blood back to Satan through Demon x Cracker.

YOU CARRY ON , INTERESTING STUFF ,

EXCUSE ME WHO IS PD FROM WATERFORD AS I KNOW MANY OF THE IRISH DOG LADS. JUST INTERESTED THATS ALL?

Seen some of them types of hard, rough, and biggish dog's, years back and saw one come out looking like a kb, . If that was the cross in, iam amazed as a breed of that have ever worked burrows as it wouldn't be in them? But there dog's worked any burrows. Nutl, once said that, an old man in cork, had em of him 40 year or so, a huntsmen and so

1st i seen of the black dogs was 80-81,but long before that i knew a man who kept a strain of red terrier identical to what some might call a red fell or lakeland,biggish type with rough wirey coat[great coat on them actually].Around the same time another man from a different area got himself a red terrier which he stated was a red fell and it came across the water and got a name for itself over here as a diging dog and served a good few bitchs.I seen the dog work as a very young dog and it could do the buisness,took no prisoners but could mind himself,some on here may remember the dog,JY had it and i believe he got it through a man PK,could be wrong.PK was the man i acquired my 1st black dog from,me and a friend went down and purchased 2 dog pups from him.He took us into a hay barn where the bitch was with 6 pups and told us to take our pick of the dogs which there was 4,bitch looked well worked and when i asked about the sire he pointed to a black dog that was running about the yard along with at least another 10 black dogs,lol but we were young and took our chances and both dogs turned out good,mine lost to ground at an young age and my mates also lost to ground around 7 year old.We bought more dogs of this man on a few occasions and they all were usefull diging dogs even though he would have been better known for breeding lurchers.

The same well known lurcher breeder you're talking about Fatman was charging £300 ,and getting it, for his smart black fells in the 80s.

There's a few lads who claim to have been the first to have brought black terriers to Ireland and IMO they all did bring black ones over not knowing that there was other lads doing it around the same time.

Blood from all these first imports are still going strong today.

We got the raw materials off the Brits but we made it better, LOL, I'll pay for that one.

• Like 3

Well Neil we were not charged anything like that price,if memory serves me right i think we gave him £40 a piece for the pups which in the early 80s was a considerable amount for a terrier pup in this country anyway.I remember another friend bought a working bred wheaten pup of him at the same money,the sire to this pup was also the sire to many wheatenxgh,dog called RAMBO,i think you may remember the dog neil.Another thing about PK was that you never left his yard hungry,always fill you with grub before you headed for home and the yarns he could tell was worth the journey alone.Another thing i remember was that everything in his yard ran free range apart from a couple of lurchers and the wheaten for obvious reasons.PK must be a good age now and i believe is still coursing with his lurchers,fair play to the man.

Remember being in p.k . Yard once and we had been killing rats with terriers which he had lifted with his bare hands , then went into the house and he started to make ham sandwiches without ever washing his hands . We all declined his offer lol . A real character , and some decent dogs came outta his yard

Remember being in p.k . Yard once and we had been killing rats with terriers which he had lifted with his bare hands , then went into the house and he started to make ham sandwiches without ever washing his hands . We all declined his offer lol . A real character , and some decent dogs came outta his yard

There was an open drain up along one side of the lane into his yard where he used to hunt the rats with the terriers,he would just start shouting rats rats and every terrier in the place would be in or along the bank of the drain,lol im now thinking of all the sandwiches we ate in his house,lol but his wife had made them or the daughter,mind you i once seen her the daughter emerge from the belly of a cow where she had been cutting out lumps of meat for pups and PK shouted to her to go in and put kettle on and make up sandwiches,never looked to see if the hands were clean,anyway done us no harm,lol.

• Like 1

That's exactly how I remember it , guy that we wer with was there to buy a saluki pup and when he asked where the pups wer at , he was pointed to a small group of trees and all we could see looking out of it was eyes lol . Turned out a decent animal , although we bought an Irish terrier cross the same day for foxing and it was clean useless , chance you take