• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Found a couple over the past couple of walks, let's see what you find please. I love nests and eggs.

OTC

Here's a nuthatch nest hole, all plastered up in an ash trunk

IMG_2869.jpg

And here's a mute swan sitting tight

tn_IMG_2971.jpg

Good man OTC love a bit of nesting :) Found a few some chaffys a grate and blue tit in various boxes.

What i did find intresting was some House sparrows nesting in the tops of some blackthorns near the house.Nest is similar to that of a pinkie but not quite the same craftmanship as the pinkie. ;) Never seen that before mind is it relativly comman ?anyone know :)

Edited by stig
Found a couple over the past couple of walks, let's see what you find please. I love nests and eggs.

OTC

IMG_2869.jpg

tn_IMG_2971.jpg

Dont think it will be a house sparrow, they only nest in holes, boxes under eaves etc.......whats a pinkie ? you got me there :hmm:

Good man OTC love a bit of nesting :) Found a few some chaffys a grate and blue tit in various boxes.

What i did find intresting was some House sparrows nesting in the tops of some blackthorns near the house.Nest is similar to that of a pinkie but not quite the same craftmanship as the pinkie. ;) Never seen that before mind is it relativly comman ?anyone know :)

OTC

IMG_2869.jpg

tn_IMG_2971.jpg

Dont think it will be a house sparrow, they only nest in holes, boxes under eaves etc.......whats a pinkie ? you got me there :hmm:

forty plus years ago :icon_redface: house sparrows locally used to nest in hawthorn [overspill maybe ]now including the starling is a red listed bird..sad but true. how times change eh.....

Honestly bryon it really is if seen them clearly going in and out.However i assume that they built it ,they could have taken over an old nest :hmm: But i know that its them nesting there.

Pinkies .....Long tailed tits :thumbs: I agree about starlings. :cry: One of britians most underrated birds i feel.

:)

I was a little raskal for the old bird nesting when i was a we lad these days i look but dont touch obviously i found a wrens nest the other day in a conifer there hard to find they look so delicate yet stand up to the weather well :thumbs:

Used to love looking for egg's years ago,before the wildlife and countryside act came in,would take photo's and leave them alone.Will post some when i look them out,

the magic of it was you could look at an egg and it would take you right back to the day.

When out fishing and find any now i take photo and they are great to look back on,atb Ned.

PS.Sorry about quality of photo's had to scan them,all old photo's,atb NID.

Copyofimg044Medium.jpg

Lapwing on top of molehill

Copyofimg045Medium.jpg

img046Medium.jpg

Ringed plover

Honestly bryon it really is if seen them clearly going in and out.However i assume that they built it ,they could have taken over an old nest :hmm: But i know that its them nesting there.

Pinkies .....Long tailed tits :thumbs: I agree about starlings. :cry: One of britians most underrated birds i feel.

:)

had a small colony of house sparrows in my nieces garden..in a good tallish thick privet..

I have seen house sparrows nesting in trees, but these were conifers. The nest is a huge untidy clump of straw. Its a bit early for them to start yet i would have thought.

tree sparrows building.. checked a few boxes near me other day.. found two robins as well.

No not tree sparrows.Only breed in selected places around the country.Your very lucky bryon would love to see them.No eggs as of yet but defently house sparrows nesting .....Honest fellas :DGreat idea OTC the great big nest thread.

Edited by stig