Where is the sport

Guest reload

• 2 weeks later...

Guest LEARNER

I, THINK IF YOU HAVE THE HUNTING INSTINCT, NOTHINGS SHITE, HUNTING, SHOOTING, FISHING, ITS ALL ENJOYABLE, I KNOW WE CAN ALL HAVE A FAVOURITE SPORT, I USE TO MATCH FISH YEARS FOR THE LOCAL TOWN, IN MY YOUTH ,YOU HAD TO DO WELL IN LOCAL COMPS TO GET IN THE TOWN TEAM ,TO FISH THE ALL ENGLAND, I,VE HAD A LOT OFF PLEASURE JUST TO CONJOUR 1 OR 2 FISH ,OUT OFF A RIVER IN SPATE , JUST TO WIN A MATCH, MIND YOU I,VE BEEN FRUSTRATED TO CATCH NOUGHT , AND WORKED HARD FOR 5 HOURS TRYING TO CATCH, BUT ITS LIKE CATCHING THAT ELUSIVE RABBIT ,THAT KEEPS GETTING THE BETTER OF THE DOG, ONE DAY YOU SUCCEED, IF ITS IN YOU , THEN THE UPS AND DOWNS OFF ANYTHING YOU DO, EVENS ITS SELF OUT IN THE END, THE SPICE OF LIFE.

I don’t fish like I used to, I just don’t seem to find the time lately. But I’ve done all sorts of fishing, coarse, game and a bit of sea.

For sheer sport, I reckon flyfishing in warm saltwater takes some beating, but that’s just a holiday thing, (if I’m lucky).

Back home then, it’s a toss up between river flyfishing, or trotting a float down a river. I’ve done more flyfishing in the last few years, but obsession wise, I was at my worst when I was a Match Angler on the Trent in it’s heyday.

One year I took nearly all my holiday entitlement off each Wednesday between June and March, to fish a series of midweek opens. When not actually on the bank, I’d practice by re fishing certain swims over and over in my minds eye, always with the stick or waggler, always seeing that tiny black spec smoothly progressing down a glassy surface, always striking perfectly as it disappeared, feeling the satisfying flex of the carbon, never forgetting to keep feeding.......

I still sometimes drift away from boring meetings and tedious traffic jams, to “mind fish” a certain sharp bend on a sandbar at Girton Gravels on the Trent, methodically harvesting chunky Chub a handspan broad, the minuscule miracle of a barbless #24 and gossamer 008mm all that connects us........line singing............stick float jagging...........strung necklace of no 10 shot dividing the surface glare...........as an unseen bucket mouthed monster hangs stubbornly in the flow..........

My one regret is that I never got to fish a Trent National.................we were never in the right division in the right year.

It’s the first day of the coarse season today! But that must mean it’s the 17 June tomorrow?? Aww shite, I’ve forgotten the anniversary again........ :cry: .......I’d best go and ring the emergency florist with my credit card details!.......... :whistle: