Wich book is the best

Dear all,

I'm thinking of buying a book about lurchers, because in Holland there isn't much info about lurchers.

At www.bol.com i can buy 4 books:

1. The Lurcher - Training and Hunting by Frank Sheardown.

2. The New Complete Lurcher by D. Brian Plummer

3. The House Lurcher by Jackie Drakeford

4. Understanding the Working Lurcher by Jackie Drakeford

My question is wich book is the best when it comes to info about training, hunting, different types, and some nice pictures of dogs.

Does anyone read one of these books, and can help me out with this. :good:

Thanks Patje. :D

To be honest Patje, I'd forget about the books. I've bought nearly every dog book going and not one of them was as good as asking people off here and smoochers what the craic is. I've spoken to a lot of good lads in regards to training and the advice I got off Chalkwarren, BD Roughcoat, Panhandle, Cupid Stunt, Socks etc etc was worth way more than any book you could mention. I owe those lads and many others a great deal when it comes to lurcher training :good:

To be honest Patje, I'd forget about the books. I've bought nearly every dog book going and not one of them was as good as asking people off here and smoochers what the craic is. I've spoken to a lot of good lads in regards to training and the advice I got off Chalkwarren, BD Roughcoat, Panhandle, Cupid Stunt, Socks etc etc was worth way more than any book you could mention. I owe those lads and many others a great deal when it comes to lurcher training :good:

Thans for the advice mate.

It's not that i want to buy a book to chance the way i hunt or train my dogs.

I would just like to read something about lurchers and everything.

:good:

Guest JOEB

If you want a good read about lurcher work, then buy Darcys books or for more general Stormy Night.

For every thing else.....just as stabs Said, ask the lads on here :good:

JOEB

Guest JOEB

NO OFFENCE TO JD BUT IF I WANTED TO READ HUNTING STORIES I WUD COME ON HERE FOR FREE INSTEAD OF PAYIN £20+ FOR A BOOK. AT THE START OF DIG DEEP AND THROW WELL BACK HE EVEN ADMITS HE IS NO EXPERT,, BUT YET HE WROTE A BOOK ON THE SUBJECT!! HE HAS GREAT PICS BUT IM AFRAID IT ENDS THERE!!! :ph34r:

No offence taken old chap :D .............but you should never read ANY book thinking that the author is an expert.

Most of em certainly aint that, what I ment to say is that JDs books are real life experience, so you will read em and take from them what you will...........IMHO thats the best way, not following a step by step guide by a self proclaimed expert.

As I say JMHO :good:

JOEB

If you want a good read about lurcher work, then buy Darcys books or for more general Stormy Night.

For every thing else.....just as stabs Said, ask the lads on here :good:

JOEB

NO OFFENCE TO JD BUT IF I WANTED TO READ HUNTING STORIES I WUD COME ON HERE FOR FREE INSTEAD OF PAYIN £20+ FOR A BOOK. AT THE START OF DIG DEEP AND THROW WELL BACK HE EVEN ADMITS HE IS NO EXPERT,, BUT YET HE WROTE A BOOK ON THE SUBJECT!! HE HAS GREAT PICS BUT IM AFRAID IT ENDS THERE!!! :ph34r:

I'm sure he doesn't blow his own trumpet as there are far too many self proclaimed experts in all walks of life. JD's books clearly show he has lots of experience with both terriers and lurchers and his books are top of the tree as far as i'm concerned. The books tell real stories, not fairytales and are welcomed in a limited market It was reading one of his books that reignited my passion for hunting after a break. :good:

Fair enough Steve, as you say each to his own :good: I enjoyed them and still learnt things. I think that in the past we have had a lot of books telling you how to enter your dog to rat, rabbit .........and after a while you fancy something different :good: