Should DSC1 be manditory  

412 members have voted

1. 1. Should DSC1 be manditory for professional deer stalkers

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Should DSC1 be mandatory for the stalkers who shoot recreationally for thier own consumption and not for financial gain

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Do you think that having these qualifications will make you a better stalker

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No, he has to work under the parameters of the law surely.......IF DSC is not a legal stipulation then it's not a legal stipulation.

I'm not convinced a DSC is of any great relevance!!   I suggest a shooting test (accuracy) and safety knowledge should be explored!!   Many people have a .243 or bigger and quite legitimately take

The problem i have with DSC1 and the whole FAC thing is that there are a lot of us that have many years of experience with firearms and shotguns have been forced to take this qualification . When i d

i think its all a money making scheme and it does not make you a better stalker in any way what so ever most of what they ask is common sense and as for the accuracy they require on the targets which i think i a few shots in to 6 inchs you should be able to do that with your eyes closed

• Like 1
i think it is more important for recreatinal stalkers to do this cause, especial if they dont do it all that often, i think it would help them to learn a bit about stalking before they go.

i was taught by a person who has years of expierience in stalking all types of deer he is still called upon to help profesional stalkers achieve thier cull although i am a recreational stalker and i only take enough deer for my own consumption i spend loads of time punching paper to make sure that when i fire at a live target be it a roe deer or a fox the shot is placed acurately and the animal is cleanly dispached ,i also spend allot of time just watching the deer that live on and around my permitions sometimes my wife likes to go out early morning with me just to watch the deer go about thier buisiness,if these qualifications become manditory i will be forced to take more deer than i would normally to fund the outrageous fee

• Like 2

Think DSC1 should be mandatory for beginners. Might save a few wounded deer, and if it saves just one firearms accident then it's a bargain for the whole shooting community.

Cost, yes it's cripplingly expensive for most people! If BDS or BASC weren't in it for the money, then they would publish a list of experienced stalkers by region who would be happy to pass on their knowledge for a working man's fee.

Maybe they do and I couldnt find it :o

Finding a stalker willing to take out a novice is nigh on impossible in my experience.

Edited by Fidgety
  • Like 1
Think DSC1 should be mandatory for beginners. Might save a few wounded deer, and if it saves just one firearms accident then it's a bargain for the whole shooting community

Finding a stalker willing to take out a novice is nigh on impossible in my experience.

On your first point I couldn't disagree more. Although these courses do have an element of safety instruction included in them just doing the course does not make safer shots. Apparently there are more people taking up stalking now than ever before, we are not spending all our time in the country side dodging stray bullets.

France and Germany both have mandatory hunting tests and licenses, even with our obviously dangerous approach to shooting sports they have many more hunting accidents than we do here. I can't remember where I read or saw it, but apparently last year 60 people were killed in France as a result of hunting accidents. How many were killed in UK.

Also bear in mind that the two most high profile accidental shootings in UK in recent years happened whilst out lamping for foxes. I don't hear any one on these boards calling for compulsory foxing tests or lamp awareness courses. We are in grave danget of instituting so many voluntary courses that eventually the powers that be will say, "seeing as you're all doing them anyway, we'd may as well make the courses compulsory. We will then be in a situation like Germany where even if you are the land OWNER (yes, OWNER) you are forbidden to shoot anything, even vermin on your own land because you dont have the license.

On your second point I'm in full agreement, but there is usually very good reason why it's difficult to find a stalker willing to take a novice out and the main one is that most stalkers don't own their own patch, and permission to go out is usually very specifically aimed at just the stalker. Asking too many favours or being seen (or perceived) to be traipsing strangers round the land may lose a stalker his permission.

Edited by harry mac
  • Like 1

I'm not convinced a DSC is of any great relevance!!

I suggest a shooting test (accuracy) and safety knowledge should be explored!!

Many people have a .243 or bigger and quite legitimately take foxes etc, so I struggle to understand why a DSC test is required for deer!!

Shoot straight and safely seems to say it all to me!!

• Like 3

I'm not convinced a DSC is of any great relevance!!

if you where to receive say £20 for every person that sat it you would.

got told the other day a certain police for wont let a mentor sign of a new stalker unless he can gralloch a deer, (what has that to do with firearms departments)

plans are under foot to stop farmers using shotguns to shoot deer.

night shooting classes are being set up nation wide.

special night shooting permits are being made available to some stalkers.

talk of dsc2 minimum before you are allowed to shoot deer in Scotland.

dsc qualifications are here to stay, and a lot more is coming, do it now while you can afford it,

because as sure as eggs are eggs, shooting is going to be for the loaded.