Alsation/ German shepherd cross.

In last weeks CMW there were some 3/8 alsation 5/8 grey pups. I think it said line bred. Just wondering, is there a greater risk of inherited problems such as hip dysplasia with these than with first crosses?

Skycat on here has one of these ,and is very pleased with its intelligence and drive.

Skycats pup is First Cross Gsd x Greyhound Dam GSD Sire Greyhound

In my opinion inherrent problems are a result of mainly irresponsible greedy midless showbreeders who think it benifits the breed be it Gsd Lab pekineese to look uniformed in their apperance regaurdless of what the dog works or performs like.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not weighed him for few years, when he lamping regular, was about 88lb,  but even at that and his height 28in he  still picked rabbits easy, best bag was 38 one night, that good going for big lump lik

Yes and my opinion remains unchanged there are so many problems with the gsd now that `I really cant understand you flirting with the idea of inporting those faults into such thoughtfully bred dogs. I

Tough as iron,thick as shit in a bottle,my 1st and last shepherd.... My god I hated that dog i

Posted Images

In last weeks CMW there were some 3/8 alsation 5/8 grey pups. I think it said line bred. Just wondering, is there a greater risk of inherited problems such as hip dysplasia with these than with first crosses?

Skycat on here has one of these ,and is very pleased with its intelligence and drive.

Skycats pup is First Cross Gsd x Greyhound Dam GSD Sire Greyhound

In my opinion inherrent problems are a result of mainly irresponsible greedy midless showbreeders who think it benifits the breed be it Gsd Lab pekineese to look uniformed in their apperance regaurdless of what the dog works or performs like.

had a gs x greyhound lab greyhond one of the best,dogs i owned love another any 1 breeding any id buy 1 straight away.prey drive second to none more brains than steven hawkins,to be honest couldnt fault the dog.wish i had a litter out of her,she lived until 14 years of age no body faults.

• 12 years later...
28 minutes ago, Mch1989 said:

I know this thread is 12 years old now but has anyone had much success with a GSD cross?

I've got the chance to put a GSD/Lab to my Saluki/Whippet/Grey bitch.

Pros/cons?

Speak to bird on here he runs a half x ??

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Mch1989 said:

I know this thread is 12 years old now but has anyone had much success with a GSD cross?

Pros/cons?

Completely different as it’s only 50 percent gsd so going to be watered down a lot if you go ahead .

hopefully the lab and gsd parents and the future sure had/have good hips ? 

On 16/03/2009 at 20:24, fielder said:

I have had German Shepherds for 50 years. I have watched the Breed fall apart in that time. Truth be told they were starting to get into trouble back then. The arrogance of the KC and the breed clubs is staggering as they have altered the backline and ruined the hips. Out of the many that I have owned I have only had two fantastic temperaments. By that I mean happy go lucky confident hooligans. Having said that one died at Six years and the other at Seven a very old dog basically full of arthritis. I really think breeding Shepherd into lurchers is not a good idea.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, tomfromwest said:

I have had German Shepherds for 50 years. I have watched the Breed fall apart in that time. Truth be told they were starting to get into trouble back then. The arrogance of the KC and the breed clubs is staggering as they have altered the backline and ruined the hips. Out of the many that I have owned I have only had two fantastic temperaments. By that I mean happy go lucky confident hooligans. Having said that one died at Six years and the other at Seven a very old dog basically full of arthritis. I really think breeding Shepherd into lurchers is not a good idea.

It is if you find the right ones , you either gel with them or you don’t .

17 hours ago, Mch1989 said:

Pros/cons?

I like unusual crosses and personally after owning a lab cross and have worked a couple of Alsatian greyhound first x I would without try that cross if I was in the need for another dog. I’ve also owned a Alsatian/collie x whippet grey he caught bags of stuff but threw very much to the collie nature very hit and miss on teeth, stalked rabbits at times. Took a lot bigger quarry as well, was happy with does and prickets, would refuse a full set of head gear but always chased it. That may well have been the dog itself or the fact I slipped onto one that turned when he was 6 months old.

the lab x was a top draw all round bitch died at 16. Both the Alsatian/ greys have been good dogs and accomplished plenty.

11 hours ago, gnipper said:

Did you ever keep any imported working line shepherds though?

I had mostly pups from german imports. I never had an imported dog. The Germans are unlikely to let their best dogs go. Anyway it seems that the idea is popular so i will not press my point.

5 minutes ago, tomfromwest said:

I had mostly pups from german imports. I never had an imported dog. The Germans are unlikely to let their best dogs go. Anyway it seems that the idea is popular so i will not press my point.

Your talking from personal experience... everyone is entitled to their opinion on here?

17 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

Your talking from personal experience... everyone is entitled to their opinion on here?

Yes and my opinion remains unchanged there are so many problems with the gsd now that `I really cant understand you flirting with the idea of inporting those faults into such thoughtfully bred dogs. It seems to me that more thought and care is taken over Lurcher breeding than any pedigree dog. Your breeding is based on the dogs performance and physical soundness. The german shepherd now is bred by show people for winning silverware and good looking pups for Joe public who knows no better. Once these faults are in they are there to be passed on. The fact that the individual does not suffer from them is not important. its in that dogs breeding.

• Like 6
18 minutes ago, tomfromwest said:

Yes and my opinion remains unchanged there are so many problems with the gsd now that `I really cant understand you flirting with the idea of inporting those faults into such thoughtfully bred dogs. It seems to me that more thought and care is taken over Lurcher breeding than any pedigree dog. Your breeding is based on the dogs performance and physical soundness. The german shepherd now is bred by show people for winning silverware and good looking pups for Joe public who knows no better. Once these faults are in they are there to be passed on. The fact that the individual does not suffer from them is not important. its in that dogs breeding.

Interesting view, that. With a couple of good points. ?