Ferret vs Mink

I think we are all jumping on the bandwagon a bit here. The lad said he had his ferret in his hand so there was no chance of shooting his ferret and by the sound of it (whatever we eventually decide it was), it wasnt acting very 'domesticated'. Alot of folks would have shot it in the same situation as i probably would if i was doing ferreting for pest control as it would only be a potential danger to your ferret in the future if left (judging by the size of it i would imagine it could easily kill a jill). Of course there is the line of thought that it is doing the land owner a favour by predating on the rabbit population and of course if it is a true wild polecat then it would be illegal to kill it i believe. Just my opinion :victory:

I agree & as no one else was there to say one way or another what the animal was off this board lets just put it down to experience , before it gets totally silly & yet another pet worker debate

Thanks kay, i thought i was putting myself into the firing line then. I was expecting 3 pages of people telling me what a twat i am.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Umm i dunno like it looks like a mink if you look at the feet and compare them to the one in the photo. Was your ferret injured in any way? Could you of not walked away from the mink instead of shooting it?

Did you get many rabbits that day?

Ferretmaniac

In fairness, I think I'd have shot him (had I carried a shotgun or similar). Mink have a fearsome reputation for dessimating fish stocks, chickens, pheasant anything really. They're not good for the enviroment in any numbers.

I remember when some animal rights activists broke into a mink farm and released loads into the wild. Nigh on destroyed the natural balance of nature.

They'll kill anything and if they can't it wont stop it trying!

Swampy

its not a f*****g mink you sily billy :laugh: its a criminal offence too shoot a polecat.....

Judging by the posts....and there are a fair few. No one person knows exactly what it was. (Difficult when its faceless!)

You could argue that if you "don't know, don't shoot" I was just saying (clumsily, I admit,) that if it definately had been a mink then I would probably would have shot it. Polecat, No, X possibly yes, but when its down a hole how the hell is anyone going to know? So no, you're right it probably shouldn't have been shot until it had been identified correctly.

Swampy

Ning

wbrc.org.uk/WorcRecd/Issue7/polecat.htm

Interesting!

Swampy

www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/index.php?act=findpost&pid=397174

And the above also..

Checked out a load of stuff on the interweb......There is a load of rubbish talked about polecats on this forum

Not saying who tho'.....You know who you are!

Edited by Swampy
its not a f*****g mink you sily billy :laugh: its a criminal offence too shoot a polecat.....

Had a shufty about.....I agree it isn't a mink................Could be a X tho'!

Who the F knows really!

Swampy

waqsnt mucch left of its face! if i was in that sittuaition i wouldent hhave fired down the hole. i would have had good look to see if what i was shooting at was what i thought it was. a man once shot a working ferret claming he thought it was a mink. in the open. in broad daylight. he should have.

1. make sure ne can identify his quarry well

2. gone to specsavers

Shocking, it wasnt a pissing tiger coming out of a wee rabbit hole, i am quite sure it was no threat to a big bad worker!!!

if you dont know what you are doing then put the gun away

i have never seen a wild polecat with silver markings on its arse end! but have seen plenty ferrets like that

Edited by chasethebunny

Talk about political correctness gone mad, it's about time of some you lot quit the hunting game incase you upset yourselves by killing something, the ferret didn't know anything about was as dead as dead gets.

There is no way a wild polecat would hang about while the lad picked up his ferret before shooting.

It just a feral I've been able to capture a couple in my life time and have shot countless more, Ferrets have no place living in the wild. It's bad enough keepers and poultry keeping folk having to deal with foxes etc without Feral Ferrets to contend with, if they can be caught live then by all means try if not shoot them.

Edited by Meerihunter