Hungarian Vizslas

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am considering a Vizsla as my first gundogs, mainly for rough shooting.

Wondering whether anyone could give me some advice or guidance

Cheers,

i work vizslas over gun and hawk... best advice i can give is find one from a decent working breeder not just someone who says they work them...

kirasb-day018.jpg

IMG_5654.jpg

IMG_5617.jpg

Picture155MediumGarylilandtroy.jpg

Those are incredible animals mate, you should be proud.

I'll try and find a good working line.

Did you have them from pups?

or what about a wire viz?? bit tougher and more character (in my opinion :) )

Agree with Orvis Priest

Garypco those are some handsome dogs, kept in very good condition :clapper:

What part of wales you from ?

im west wales not far from aberystwyth...ive had the bitch from a pup and my friend bred the dog i went onto own the mother and father of both vizslas i now have 10 vizslas so breed trhe odd litter here and there....

thanks for the comments orvis appreciated [bANNED TEXT]....

Agree with Orvis Priest

im west wales not far from aberystwyth...ive had the bitch from a pup and my friend bred the dog i went onto own the mother and father of both vizslas i now have 10 vizslas so breed trhe odd litter here and there....

i have looked at wirehaired, do they deal with the cold better?

Agree with Orvis Priest

i have looked at wirehaired, do they deal with the cold better?

definately they have a nice coat and tend to be heavyer boned....

I tried and failed with our Viz bitch, and am now looking at finding her a nice pet home, or maybe a beating dog... I am going to stick with labs and spaniels :)

Gary you should be very proud you have some cracking dogs there !!

Nic

Edited by druimmuir
I tried and failed with our Viz bitch, and am now looking at finding her a nice pet home, or maybe a beating dog... I am going to stick with labs and spaniels :)

Nic

Nic, what do you mean by tried and failed? Was that just working her?

Nic

sorry to hear that mate....how was thre viz bred was it predominantly work or show lines? theres a fine line on what can be classed as dual bred or working bred im lucky the line of vizsla i keep and breed have exellent drive and ability... remember there are even labs and spaniels that fail... you cant condem a breed because of one failure.. im sorry things didnt work out mate...

i like the vislas espesialythe wire haired ones,but have you thought of a GWP they seem that bit tougher and i think that they take to water work better[my opinion only] i use mine mainly wildfowling and shes not bad,good luck with whatever you get,jim

Nic

sorry to hear that mate....how was thre viz bred was it predominantly work or show lines? theres a fine line on what can be classed as dual bred or working bred im lucky the line of vizsla i keep and breed have exellent drive and ability... remember there are even labs and spaniels that fail... you cant condem a breed because of one failure.. im sorry things didnt work out mate...

Thanks gary

Yup I know what you mean, unfortunately there is too much show blood on her pedigree, the natural drive and instinct just isn't there, she's great as a beating dog, flushes etc, not bothered with the gun, but no hunt and point, she retrieves ok, nice soft mouth, lives in the house, would be a nice pet/beating dog for someone

Nic

Nic

Thanks gary

Yup I know what you mean, unfortunately there is too much show blood on her pedigree, the natural drive and instinct just isn't there, she's great as a beating dog, flushes etc, not bothered with the gun, but no hunt and point, she retrieves ok, nice soft mouth, lives in the house, would be a nice pet/beating dog for someone

Nic

shame [bANNED TEXT] gutted for you...its horible when you put alot of hard work into something and it doesnt work out...dont give up on the breed tho [bANNED TEXT] there is stuff out there capable of doing the job....