How was everyones last outing?

Just pondering on how everyone got on in the last week of the season, there have been a few posts but not by everyone. And how was the season in general.

You know about my last outing, it was bright and enjoyable, some cracking photos. I have had a good season, no blanks, but only just. I again found no shortage of duck, just not always the right conditions to get a bigger bag. And the geese seemed to be in good numbers and spread well across the country.

All we have heard about is the usuals, but what about other areas and species. The diver numbers, i.e. goldeneyes, have been up on the East Coast of Scotland. What about pintails, shovelers, pochard etc etc.

And what about Russian Whitefronts, anyone see any of those?

Let us know what you saw and any memorable shots and resultant meals?

T

Just filled in my assorted bag returns, in summary the season very poor for duck locally but quite good for geese, in fact I think for the first time ever I shot more geese than ducks. Season highlights:

two days wildfowling in Norfolk seperated by a days CWD stalking,

a weeks 'fowling holiday north of the border that produced the goods as normal,

good numbers of Pinks on the Humber and stopping after I had shot my self imposed limits on two consecutive flights,

a late season flight of pinks when I thought they had all moved off the estuary months previous, bagged three in a blizzard,

taking a certain young man and his mate out to sample the joys of sunk island, and calling in a teal for him to shoot.

Lowlights:

The missus booking a holiday for mid October, just when the Pinks were flighting nicely,

experiencing the best teal flight I have seen then not been able to shoot straight, 23 shots, 2 duck :(

getting an invite to a private wash and told to expect a big day, only to find the place frozen solid when we arrived , still shot a few but what could have been??

the continuing decline in duck numbers on my favourite marshes

Had a grate season in Sussex and a couple of flights in kent.

40 duck shot below the sea wall. Made a hell of a difference changing to HD in December from steel. I will not be going back regardless of price.

I have also had 3 firsts this year. First cock pintail, gadwall and my first pink, shot under the moon when I had the hole marsh to my self. Total kills to cartridge was just over 2.5/1 so very please at that but I would have shot a hell of a lot more duck if I had started shooting with HD in September.

Teal numbers where well up in sussex from last year but hardly any geese seen. In fact I only saw 5 and a mate of mine shot 2 of those.

Wow! All you lucky southerners with yoru gadwall and pintails. I never see them.

So you are talking about Wingmaster HD from Remington at £5 a cartridge?

I can see why, it is a great long range cartridge, better than lead. But so is Heavyshot which is cheaper, and then in my book with the right load Steel can be a lead equivelent?

HD surely is the canines jewels but its is just too pricey for me!

£5 a cartridge! Thats a bit steep, okay I suppose if you are only expecting occasional shots at geese and you need the 'best of the best' and are prepared to pay for it. But one decent duck flight back could set you back over a ton. Suppose its all to do with what you have confidence in.

I'll stick to steel for most of my ducks and hevi for the geese. Although I do have a few hevi 32grm #5 loads if I am expecting high flighting mallard/wigeon/pintail.

ive had what could be said as a good season with plenty of duck about all year but there seamed to be weekly fluctuations in duck species but the main stay were widgeon with alot of teal about but lower numbers of pintail just done my duck returns for grange and district wildfowlers were ive done most of my shooting and ive shot 57 duck 3 greylag but my duck total for the season is over 100 and 21 geese

In fairness guys I dont pay any ware near that much. I have a very good mate in the trade ;)

Have just got a 10 bore and will be firing, I hope, power shot home loads next year. If not I will get either some hevi or stick to the HD. Now through the 10 that could get real pricey!!! :blink:

Tom I cant agree with you. I have not seen anyone knock out ducks at 50yards+ with steel and I have shot a good few this year that I would have never put my gun up to with steel regardless of the type, size, load. I have seen to many take all 3 barrels and fly on and that to me is not acceptable. Maybe its my shooting?

Hi Tom,

The 69 was over Frodsham marsh,Didnt get to shoot the Dee.I also have a flight pond eleswhere where i probally totaled about 25 duck,although not as good as my 2007-2008 season.Alot of Teal about all season and pintail numbers seemed to be up around Jan.I use Gamebore 3" no 4 steelfibre 32grams,find them a good strong cartridge.Let the duck come into range and no probs.

Edited by DOLLSEYES
Tom I cant agree with you. I have not seen anyone knock out ducks at 50yards+ with steel and I have shot a good few this year that I would have never put my gun up to with steel regardless of the type, size, load. I have seen to many take all 3 barrels and fly on and that to me is not acceptable. Maybe its my shooting?

I never said I saw people take ducks over 50 yards with Steel!

What I said was the Remington HD is sold as being able to kill at greater range than lead or steel and that I cant afford it.

http://www.remington.com/products/ammuniti...ngmaster_HD.asp

Additionally I said that I have had no problem with steel as with the right product it is a lead equivilent.

I have had several 30+yard clean kills on duck this season with 38gram loads of 1's (My favourite steel loads are 36grm+ loads of UK 2's but getting 2's is a nightmare so I use 36grm 3's or 38gram 1's). This includes a 40yard wigeon, stone dead and a 35yard goldeneye, ditto. Of course these distances are all estimates. I also got a stone dead huge greylag with steel 1's at a "known" 25 yards which is further away that you think!

Having pattern tested my wildfowling gun this season at 40 yards I was so surprised by exactly how far away 40 yards is!

From these tests I can be confident that my steel loads (Lyalvale and Remington) can kill ducks at 40 yards providing I hit them!

T