SHOW US YOUR PATTERDALES

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, Dig-deep-draw-charlie said:

They are dogs, not robots, they will do it when they are ready not when the owner “thinks” they are 

A good terrierman has a good idea when they are ready but you are right they are not machines 

• Like 1

My 2p worth if I bring out a youngster and he or she doesn't enter or show much interest then no harm done terrier either not ready or not going to do the job in hand but at this stage it has done nothing wrong.now if I bring one out and it enters and finds and works its quarry for a time then comes away well straight away there is a question mark over said dog but will be given a chance to prove me wrong but not many chances if it continues the same its bye bye.

• Like 7
On 23/01/2019 at 19:43, Glyn..... said:

Ryan i have no idea what you know , what i can see is those of you who keep terriers from the same family have the same opinion so at least its consistent, i don't over face a terrier pup , but i don't fanny about with them neither, mine are walked stock broken all will have been walked up to and had a sniff in holes from 3 months , if i can i'll wait until they are around 15 months to start them others earlier  but once a pup has meet his quarry started baying i don't expect it to come off , the words once its meet/ found and that is the only way in which i allow them to progress is in the finding in larger places    each to there own i won't be keeping your stuff anymore than you would be mine , which is a good thing 

Yeah definitely a good thing, that’s something I will agree on 

• Like 1
On 23/01/2019 at 20:07, dillydog said:

You're welcome to a day out whenever it suits Glyn, I've got nothing to hide or fear. Just because I don't expect instant results or legends from day one doesn't mean I don't own one, they all have to have hours in the classroom to make the animals they become. 

Absolutely right 

12 hours ago, Rabbit Hunter said:

I’ve seen a young dog come away at 14 month old and bounce out of a hole playing with the other dog that was tied up as if it was some sort of game, the same dog made it into old age as a good digging dog. Maybe a better terrier man would have put the dog down immediately?

Macho bullshit results in empty kennels, I’ve seen a dog that was wanting work from 10 months old turn out a coward and on the other hand a dog that never entered until he was 19 months old be the hardest dog I’ve ever seen. There’s too much of a grey area to be making rash decisions with first season dogs.

Absolutely right 

5 minutes ago, Apache... said:

After having a dig wth another terrierman a month ago we were discussing how many chances do you give a dog before your resigned to the fact they ain't gunna make the grade, we both said the same thing funnily enough.

And how many chances is that lol

• Haha 1

They shouldn't get chances, they should get time to learn and time to mature.

If however after they've been given time and experience and they're still a piece of shit then you've just got to take it on the chin and start again.

Edited by dillydog
  • Like 3
7 minutes ago, Apache... said:

After having a dig wth another terrierman a month ago we were discussing how many chances do you give a dog before your resigned to the fact they ain't gunna make the grade, we both said the same thing funnily enough.

How longs a piece of string 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1