SHOW US YOUR PATTERDALES

The difference with small places and shallow places is the dog in question knows the cavalry is on the way. One of the first things I was taught by the old boys around me is if you want a dog out sooner rather than later is to walk away and be quiet.  The dog that stays and does the job through to the end when he can't sense you one way or the other is by far the better animal.

• Like 8

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had this just before dark a few days ago,  it was over and hour before I even started as I was waiting for reinforcements lol. The dog sat and worked the quarry nice and steady but had no idea if I was still there, I've seen plenty over the years that would walk just to see if you were still there !

IMG-20190115-WA0003.jpg

• Like 7
10 hours ago, dillydog said:

The difference with small places and shallow places is the dog in question knows the cavalry is on the way. One of the first things I was taught by the old boys around me is if you want a dog out sooner rather than later is to walk away and be quiet.  The dog that stays and does the job through to the end when he can't sense you one way or the other is by far the better animal.

Had a terrier years ago you could drop anywhere and if he didn’t get a bolt in a deep place he’d be out in a half hour lol. Did a hell of a lot of digging to that terrier in shallow places and he never came away if he could hear you moving about above him. He wouldn’t of been for everyone but that terrier accounted for a shit load of foxes.

• Like 5
21 hours ago, dillydog said:

I had this just before dark a few days ago,  it was over and hour before I even started as I was waiting for reinforcements lol. The dog sat and worked the quarry nice and steady but had no idea if I was still there, I've seen plenty over the years that would walk just to see if you were still there !

IMG-20190115-WA0003.jpg

Most common mistake that I've seen over the years imo is a lot of people want to dig their dog out straight away,  as soon as they hear them yap in a spot they have the shovel out . Sit back keep calm and have a cuppa then check out the state of play . Years ago we never had the pleasure of pin pointing the dog before on top , we had to search for the dog after a period of time . We still then after finding the dog had a cuppa and then start to dig to the dog . Makes for a better dog I'd say . 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, chilli said:

Most common mistake that I've seen over the years imo is a lot of people want to dig their dog out straight away,  as soon as they hear them yap in a spot they have the shovel out . Sit back keep calm and have a cuppa then check out the state of play . Years ago we never had the pleasure of pin pointing the dog before on top , we had to search for the dog after a period of time . We still then after finding the dog had a cuppa and then start to dig to the dog . Makes for a better dog I'd say . 

Nowdays ppl like to login to fb then upload pics then dig 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
17 hours ago, chilli said:

I wouldn’t say it makes for a better dog as they’re gunna do what they’re gunna do regardless of when you start digging, it just saves you digging loads of holes ? last week we went out with the dog and realised the collar wasn’t charged. Rangey place but let him in anyway, had great craic finding by ear, doesn’t do any harm to keep the box off every so often.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, rob284 said:

I wouldn’t say it makes for a better dog as they’re gunna do what they’re gunna do regardless of when you start digging, it just saves you digging loads of holes ? last week we went out with the dog and realised the collar wasn’t charged. Rangey place but let him in anyway, had great craic finding by ear, doesn’t do any harm to keep the box off every so often.

Agreed as when tech fails unless yer deaf then you can get to your dog