SHOW US YOUR PATTERDALES

Can’t disagree with that but that’s more to do with the abundance than the need to educate anything in the first place .These dogs that do work the educated stuff ,how often do they  see the inside of an earth .Once or twice a month or do you work them sore .

Id rather a dog out every chance i get than sat back smuggly thinking I had a good un in sick bay .Just an observation .

• Like 3

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, foxdropper said:

Can’t disagree with that but that’s more to do with the abundance than the need to educate anything in the first place .These dogs that do work the educated stuff ,how often do they  see the inside of an earth .Once or twice a month or do you work them sore .

Id rather a dog out every chance i get than sat back smuggly thinking I had a good un in sick bay .Just an observation .

It all depends on how many dogs u keep and knowing ur dogs and what to use and where to use it and how much work to give each dog and where u work them in the so called country england and knowing u will get a result  with the dog u have used be cause u have all way got other dogs to use so u dont get stuck wih out a dog to use.

30 minutes ago, Mixedgrill said:

I’ll tell you why rob any English man yea meet all sing from the same hymn sheet they don’t make it to see a dog ever again 

Well I’m an Englishman and nearly everyone I know in England would let them go. I hate stereotyping because it happens on both sides of the water. Believe it or not it isn’t an Irish thing, it’s a thing you do if your brought up with it. I remember my father telling me of stories when he visited Ireland back in the day and he couldn’t believe his eyes when the irish lads brought the shotgun out at the end of a dig. There’s both types of lads on both sides of the water. It’s more to do with the company you keep. I for one wouldn’t kill a fox, as I find more enjoyment watching them run away.

• Like 5
22 minutes ago, foxdropper said:

Only Richards work dogs sore. thing I don’t like about the baying terrier is on educated game they have a tendency to let game pass then creating a running match around an earth and I find a lot of them get bored and come away can’t finish the job 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, rob284 said:

Well I’m an Englishman and nearly everyone I know in England would let them go. I hate stereotyping because it happens on both sides of the water. Believe it or not it isn’t an Irish thing, it’s a thing you do if your brought up with it. I remember my father telling me of stories when he visited Ireland back in the day and he couldn’t believe his eyes when the irish lads brought the shotgun out at the end of a dig. There’s both types of lads on both sides of the water. It’s more to do with the company you keep. I for one wouldn’t kill a fox, as I find more enjoyment watching them run away.

I wish I could agree with you rob

7 hours ago, Mixedgrill said:

Only Richards work dogs sore. thing I don’t like about the baying terrier is on educated game they have a tendency to let game pass then creating a running match around an earth and I find a lot of them get bored and come away can’t finish the job 

I totally agree about pure baying dogs mate and the notion that one can dig educated stuff with it seems odd ,either that or the dog sits back so you have to trench on .The stuff dosnt have to be educated to produce good dogs either but just my opinion .

13 hours ago, rob284 said:

I’ve learnt that ‘educated game’ can earn that title because the lads that dig them have dogs that will take hold and work hard. Last season I’ve seen some dogs come off very worse for wear and we’ve all agreed that the game must be very educated. We’ve then tipped a steady dog in which knows the score just baying away nothing stupid, and we’ve dug the game without a scratch on the dog. Now if you keep hard dogs and you come across game which won’t submit your gunna call that game educated as you will see the outcome with the dogs wounds but there’s every much chance you will dig it with a steady dog which doesn’t overpressure the game. I’ve seen it a few times this season. There’s a lot of hard dogs in Ireland and you claim there’s a lot of educated game. Coincidence? I don’t know where this thing of educated quarry is only in wales and Ireland. The nastiest lot I’ve seen have been in the north of England where they’re sparse and you meet them frequent. 

Great post mate. 

• Like 3
22 hours ago, stop.end said:

lol...? was just thinking very same thing myself... the foxes over there must have no teeth ffs...

Educated stuff should mean the one thing to all but it clearly doesn't. Some people are a mile of which is a blessing thank god. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Right lads just to switch it up a bit, show a pic of your smallest Patterdale that you’ve had staying until dug, I know size isn’t everything but I’ve a very very small dog here and am looking for a bit of hope?  he’s showing all the right signs, will get a pic up as soon a so can??

7 minutes ago, BIG TRG said:

Right lads just to switch it up a bit, show a pic of your smallest Patterdale that you’ve had staying until dug, I know size isn’t everything but I’ve a very very small dog here and am looking for a bit of hope?  he’s showing all the right signs, will get a pic up as soon a so can??

You first ?

• Like 1