SHOW US YOUR PATTERDALES

i'm pretty sure they know how deep they are and it doesn't bother a good terrier the longer it takes you the better as far as they are concerned and as far as the dog getting a reward , if i have time with a pup , i get to them as fast as i can , shot the quarry and let them rag it hopefully to the point they are lay on top of it knackered , after that a good terrier needs no reward, some people portray the terrier as if its lassie helping its owner , a good terrier would f**k off on its own and kill itself working , they are not doing it for us they do it for themselves , when they lock on and hold at the end they are doing to stop you taken it from them or worst still as they see it f***ing things up and letting it escape , they are in it for themselves little b*****ds :) 

Edited by Glyn.....
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

30 minutes ago, Glyn..... said:

i'm pretty sure they know how deep they are and it doesn't bother a good terrier the longer it takes you the better as far as they are concerned and as far as the dog getting a reward , if i have time with a pup , i get to them as fast as i can , shot the quarry and let them rag it hopefully to the point they are lay on top of it knackered , after that a good terrier needs no reward, some people portray the terrier as if its lassie helping its owner , a good terrier would f**k off on its own and kill itself working , they are not doing it for us they do it for themselves , when they lock on and hold at the end they are doing to stop you taken it from them or worst still as they see it f***ing things up and letting it escape , they are in it for themselves little b*****ds :) 

true that glyn i had a russel years ago proper escape artist used to f**k of regular an come back peppered that terrier new where every den in a ten mile raduis round our scheme the wee b*****d haha

• Like 1

I don’t agree with that Glyn. I think the odd terrier that is totally mute and reckless will maybe do what you say. But the average working terrier is in some way working for it’s owner as much as itself. 

I think that’s the main idea of digging pups in easy spots, to get them in to the routine of entering, working, being dug to (repeat, repeat and so on). Until it’s second nature to them and they have total trust in you that you’ll be digging them whether they’re in 10 minutes or 5 hours.

Edited by Rabbit Hunter
  • Like 6

Have to agree with Glyn when he says a terrier knows how deep to ground it is (roughly), an experienced terrier is all about itself and sod the owner haha when I try to grab my terrier they put their tail under there arse so u can't grab them or tuck their legs in tight, (I'm not coming out, is what there thinking).

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Rabbit Hunter said:

I don’t agree with that Glyn. I think the odd terrier that is totally mute and reckless will maybe do what you say. But the average working terrier is in some way working for it’s owner as much as itself. 

I think that’s the main idea of digging pups in east spots, to get them in to the routine of entering, working, being dug to (repeat, repeat and so on). Until it’s second nature to them and they have total trust in you that you’ll be digging them whether they’re in 10 minutes or 5 hours.

Spot on RH.I personally think even the best of digging dogs would soon start coming off quicker and quicker if you was to keep allowing them to go to ground without digging them.Im not saying they do it to please their owner but i difinately think they see you as a teammate.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Rabbit Hunter said:

I think that’s the main idea of digging pups in easy spots, to get them in to the routine of entering, working, being dug to (repeat, repeat and so on). Until it’s second nature to them and they have total trust in you that you’ll be digging them whether they’re in 10 minutes or 5 hours.

We'll have to agree to disagree RH most of my terriers have been and are at the moment bayer mixers , some almost total out and out bayers until just before daylight , i have like most had mute and reckless ,but reckless dont last long enough to be counted,

next time you put daylight on their backs  ask them to step back pretty sure they won't , it's a bit like being able to call a dog out some people rate such dogs i don't , i usually have a wrestling match until its back  on couples   as far as i'm concerned they do it for themselves   

• Thanks 1
26 minutes ago, Rabbit Hunter said:

So Glyn, by your way of thinking, would you say then that a terrier when entered as a youngster should stay until dug no matter what the depth as they are working for themselves?

i've been at this long enough that i only enter a pup where i'm   in full control which means no great depth , which as much for my  benefit so i can stay in control if a pup enters finds engauges  i expect it to stay yes , i find with the very best  when entering them you are often trying to save them form themselves , if a terrier is working i'll leave it there for some time if getting a rough deal i step in , just because they are selfish little b*****ds doesn't mean i have to be , because i'm the Brains or to hope to be of the operation there to rescue my terrier if he gets him sevles in difficulty   ...

i had a day out tracking no joy i stopped to take a photo hadn't tied my pup properly and she went into some rushes and flushed a hare , it took me a hour to cut her off and catch her around and around we went and i hate running now to old , but she was doing it for me she most of thought i needed the exercise :) 

DSC_0729.jpg

DSC_0751.JPG

Edited by Glyn.....
  • Like 5

I understand your viewpoint on this Glyn, but say you had an unentered pup that went to ground in an earth that you thought was only shallow but ended up say 8 foot deep. Would you expect the pup to stay there until you dug it out? 

Don’t get me wrong, I know there’s some terriers that are born naturals that just work and stay from day one but IMO they are a small minority. 

RH i'm lucky i have some great tiny puppy places , but i have f****d up , once entered a 12 month old pup on a hunting day in to a tight little place the reason i used the pup , it was only 3 foot but 3 foot of sand and sand stone seems took 6 of us 3 hours to get to him, he hadn't had it all his own way he didn't want me to take him out when i got to him he worked in to old age and plenty saw him go  

No two dogs are the same, I've had some that work for themselves,  mainly dog rather than bitches. I was once sent a dog that was way to hard for a well know terrier man from down south.  The dog was dug to on the morning he landed and he was just as daft as I'd been told, although he'd got away with it on this occasion.  When I got back to the kennels (you'll know the place Glyn) he got into it with my lurcher, long story short he ran off and went to ground in a big badger sett at the top of the field. This place is right on a footpath,  no chance I could of quickly had him out, no harm done. It took me three f***ing days to catch that dog in a fox trap, as I said,  he was mute and very head strong. He had the choice to work for himself but chose not to, strange place, his world had just collapsed and so on, but that taught me there and then that they're more of a team player than a one man operation. 

• Like 5
8 minutes ago, dillydog said:

No two dogs are the same, I've had some that work for themselves,  mainly dog rather than bitches. I was once sent a dog that was way to hard for a well know terrier man from down south.  The dog was dug to on the morning he landed and he was just as daft as I'd been told, although he'd got away with it on this occasion.  When I got back to the kennels (you'll know the place Glyn) he got into it with my lurcher, long story short he ran off and went to ground in a big badger sett at the top of the field. This place is right on a footpath,  no chance I could of quickly had him out, no harm done. It took me three f***ing days to catch that dog in a fox trap, as I said,  he was mute and very head strong. He had the choice to work for himself but chose not to, strange place, his world had just collapsed and so on, but that taught me there and then that they're more of a team player than a one man operation. 

Yes Dilly i know it , all i can say is i've never had  a dog in soil , i haven't got to , so i cant say if they would of given up in the end had them in Rocks for days  but that's another game , and the terrier is very often on its own anyway , but they keep going to work , the longest ever had a terrier working not trapped in soil was 22-23 hours, we entered him in the afternoon only 7 foot mark dug hit  slabs of rock carried on for a few hours were told by the farmer to f**k off as we were keeping his dogs barking and he had to be up for milking , we left the dog there for 7-8 hours before we started to dig again got the dog about mid-day he could of come out any time ... so i'm not sure what you are all saying , is it your dogs only stay if they hear you digging , what happens when you work them in really deep rock piles ?

I'm not saying that at all Glyn,  what I'm saying is that you can have terriers that live to work, that are driven to work and come hell or high water they'll stay no matter what. Then on the flip side and no lesser of a dog you'll have the intelligent dog that wants to please you and works with you to get the job done.

I've still got the two litter brothers here that I showed you by message, ones not wired up right, intelligent and biddable but still not right once he's switched on. The other brother is steady as a rock, very biddable and a pleasure to own, he's the dog I dug through rock to last week at 11 ft. Once I broke through I was expecting the worst but he'd got one little knock on his chops, to me the perfect dog.  Both from the same litter but completely different animals,  we've all got our own opinions formed from different things we've seen over the years mate.

• Like 1