SHOW US YOUR PATTERDALES

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

32 minutes ago, Rabbit Hunter said:

Nightmare mate, seems a common thing in these types? I had 8 with only 4 surviving ??

I've lost 2 litters to the same sire and dam recently, really hit me for six, busting pups then just start fading and fck all can be done, sickening

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, Bakerboy said:

I've lost 2 litters to the same sire and dam recently, really hit me for six, busting pups then just start fading and fck all can be done, sickening

What do you think is the reason? I recently heard of 2 lads that used the same dog and lost their litters once born, the stud dog in question is about 12/13 I think and similar related.

And again with my litter, it was a father/daughter mating and the dog is getting on for 11 year old so was his age and/or closeness a factor??

2 hours ago, dillydog said:

I'll wait until he vaguely resembles a terrier,  he may not be staying,  puppy fading syndrome surviver,  he's one left from eight 

Wat you think causes that puppy fading syndrome you think it's from keeping line tight or other reasons. Just curious

They reckon it's canine herpes. A pal who keeps a very decent line and knows his dogs won't breed off an old stud. He believes they won't produce sound, strong, quality pups. Not sure do I agree. I've asked several huntsmen.. none agree with him. Any thoughts?

19 minutes ago, turkish said:

Wat you think causes that puppy fading syndrome you think it's from keeping line tight or other reasons. Just curious

Not a clue, never had it before and never want to see it again.  Read loads of information on the Internet,  everything from canine herpes to cold pups in the first four days, long story short, I don't think they know either.

I bred a good bitch in the hopes of getting another bitch pup and she had one dog, I gave him to a mate, I'm determined to keep a yard of bitches and no dogs.

I bred this bitch in the hope of getting my bitch and again got nothing but a dog......life's a bitch. 

God in his infinite wisdom is determined to keep a dog in my yard, who am I to go against him.

3 minutes ago, Evil knievil said:

They reckon it's canine herpes. A pal who keeps a very decent line and knows his dogs won't breed off an old stud. He believes they won't produce sound, strong, quality pups. Not sure do I agree. I've asked several huntsmen.. none agree with him. Any thoughts?

The dog I used is in his prime, the bitch I used him on is also in her prime, it was cold when she dropped but she was indoors under a lamp. I've got no idea mate, I've read loads of articles and I'm still none the wiser.

• Like 1

I might try again in the summer, I took a chance and lined the bitch in the season because she's literally never stood or flagged for any dog, I came in from hunting and she stood, I didn't want to miss what could be my only chance...........bit me on the ass

Edited by dillydog
  • Like 1
24 minutes ago, dillydog said:

The dog I used is in his prime, the bitch I used him on is also in her prime, it was cold when she dropped but she was indoors under a lamp. I've got no idea mate, I've read loads of articles and I'm still none the wiser.

Had the same from two in their prime and in the summer, thriving for the first 10 days then one by one they faded and died, it's a hard watch that's for sure. 

• Like 2
12 hours ago, dillydog said:

Not a clue, never had it before and never want to see it again.  Read loads of information on the Internet,  everything from canine herpes to cold pups in the first four days, long story short, I don't think they know either.

I bred a good bitch in the hopes of getting another bitch pup and she had one dog, I gave him to a mate, I'm determined to keep a yard of bitches and no dogs.

I bred this bitch in the hope of getting my bitch and again got nothing but a dog......life's a bitch. 

God in his infinite wisdom is determined to keep a dog in my yard, who am I to go against him.

Have you had your terriers tested for canine herps one of the most common causes of fading pups, (but not the only one)

Would maybe giving the dam and sire a little course of antibiotics before lining them,not help? had a  patt bitch that would catch then lose them around 40 days in, happened twice  3rd time I gave her a course and she went full term...gave birth to pups,but put a hole in the tops of their heads and killed them all second day in?

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Daniel cain said:

Would maybe giving the dam and sire a little course of antibiotics before lining them,not help? had a  patt bitch that would catch then lose them around 40 days in, happened twice  3rd time I gave her a course and she went full term...gave birth to pups,but put a hole in the tops of their heads and killed them all second day in?

course of synulox wouldnt do any harm. can help prevent pyometra too. just a bit of safe guarding imo.