SHOW US YOUR PATTERDALES

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Glyn..... said:

Cheers 35 year before that  they were line bred to the Breay/Buck line  via Brian Nuttalls Worry , my terriers all had lines back to her l've just bred the best I've had I like the choc color and if all else was equal I bred from a choc stud although I'm interested in a black dog at the moment 

So when did the chocolate gene appear Glyn? As I’m guessing all Brians terriers will have been black back then?

1 hour ago, Rabbit Hunter said:

So when did the chocolate gene appear Glyn? As I’m guessing all Brians terriers will have been black back then?

A couple of generations or 15 years I mated half brother sister both out of my bitch Rags , and a dog from That litter mated back to another daughter of Rags , produced the first two, then my cousin mated two terriers same way bred and produced  4 more from 2 litters , all blacks come from choc blood but you won't read that In  the fell terrier :)

Edited by Glyn.....
  • Like 4

I know that some of Cockers blood  originates back to Breays stuff and  my dogs have a lot of Alan's blood in them and they produce the odd pup with chocolate legs and have been for years, I know it's heavily diluted but the blood must still be there after all this time. I've heard that Breay bred the odd chocolate pup now and again.

19 minutes ago, Rabbit Hunter said:

I always thought the chocs appeared from mating blacks to black and tans? The choc being a dilution of the black and tan?

much of our knowledge comes from the likes of plummer and the fell terrier ,  plummer wrote most of his stuff on a linear footing backed up or helped along by people  with vested interest for whatever reason and that is how history is written  , other authors fell in line , but i've been obsessed by these dogs for most of my life and have read tons and tons of books for little snippets, plummer was so close at one point but with his self importance mixed with a good helping of asslicking missed it , he was spoon feed a history , but what i call the patterdale type didn't suddenly appear from a mishmash of cross breeds  types , the type had been around for at least a hundred years before that date as smooth liver or as we call them   choc 's   , read plummers accounts of patterdales in his working terrier book , its f***ing sad, 3 years later he knew it all  :)  

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Rabbit Hunter said:

The cover drawing on the Fell Terrier is a copy of a photo inside, and I’m sure it says underneath the photo something like ‘Chocolate fell terrier, sold for a record fee at that time’ or something similar.

4E37B6E9-00F6-4F3E-BF1B-4A508C2ECC90.png.b57bcf6da06e38583ace875cc1a68b7b.png

i've not seen that before my copy has J.Park on it , plummer was obsessed by money i think he wrote somewhere a pair of bullhead blacks sold for £500 ! he was also obsessed with crossing bull blood  into everything two things that influenced his writing and like most scribe's they write books  for a living  , so much writing when did they ever get out with the dogs ? i forgot he didn't :) 

Edited by Glyn.....
  • Like 7