SHOW US YOUR PATTERDALES

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Elchapo said:

Probably Summer time , if dog has thick coat helps clip them out , same as clipping a Wheaton out or Wheaton lurcher 

There’s better ways, dogs coats should be hand stripped not clipped there are exceptions like Bedlingtons and Wheatons but most rough coated terriers  should be hand stripped, hand stripped dogs coats grow flat to their backs keeping muck & weather out ideal for an earth dog or one that’s out all day in rain, plus in the summer a stripped coat keeps the dog cool. Clipped coats grow out and not flat to the dogs back which offers less protection against the weather and let’s muck reach the skin, continues clipping also softens the coat the only plus point is it’s easy to do.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Str said:

There’s better ways, dogs coats should be hand stripped not clipped there are exceptions like Bedlingtons and Wheatons but most rough coated terriers  should be hand stripped, hand stripped dogs coats grow flat to their backs keeping muck & weather out ideal for an earth dog or one that’s out all day in rain, plus in the summer a stripped coat keeps the dog cool. Clipped coats grow out and not flat to the dogs back which offers less protection against the weather and let’s muck reach the skin, continues clipping also softens the coat the only plus point is it’s easy to do.

Each to there own, it’s his dog mate he can clip or strip , me personal I clip because it’s easer and coat normally back to exactly the same as befor they were clipped , 

• Like 4
16 minutes ago, Str said:

Old wives tales

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Rabbit Hunter said:

I’ve heard that before STR but is it true or an old wives tale? I can’t understand how the cutting of the hair could alter how it grows?

It’s because with hand stripping you are pulling the dead hair out which promotes new hair growth which thickens the coat with clipping you are just shortening the hair that’s there.

4 minutes ago, dillydog said:

Old wives tales

No it’s not it’s just called that by folks who don’t or can’t hand strip there dogs, when I do mine I’ll put some before and after pics up, if you don’t fancy hand stripping your dogs rather than clipp buy a mars comb £30 ish it pulls and cuts the coat rather than just clip the coat, it’s not as good as hand stripping but much better than clipping.

0229470A-E8CA-4141-A556-DB5CA352C89D.jpeg

So it never grows back then ?

And why would clipping a dog change the direction of the hair growth or type of hair when all you are doing is cutting the hair ?

The hair grows from the follicle in the dermis, how do you imagine that cutting what's above the skin would change the genetics or process of growth under the skin ?

Surely it's more detrimental to yank out hair while hand stripping,  each to their own.

I've clipped every terrier I own since jesus was a kid, not a bad coat on the yard.

Shaving dogs however doesn't keep them cool, it has the opposite affect. 

gr1.jpg

24-0-c-flir-this-is-a-thermal-image-of-a-34534214.png

• Like 2

I don’t know about most patts as they don’t have the two coats a border has but a border that is clipped won’t keep its course outer coat and it will grow back soft. All the black dogs I’ve been around have been cut with the clippers and they don’t suffer the cold.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, gnipper said:

Shaving can/does make the coat softer.

Them furminators are good for raking out thick dead undercoat too for anyone with thick coated dogs that suffer in the heat.

No it doesn't,  how in Gods name could it ?

I always shave every terrier in the garden if they have a coat that needs it, NEVER ONCE has it made a coat soft.........it's a myth made up by show shit idiots

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1