SHOW US YOUR PATTERDALES

Everyone has different opinions no right or wrong mate, I always let pups watch a couple of times listen and smell what’s going on, I would have done the same thing, different story if it had been dug many of times and had one bad day but if it has walked and won’t go near the hole again outcome would have been the same for me mate. 

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

tank, 3 years old

Just got him out, just over 8 hours...... home bath, pjs on then bed.....

Posted Images

I do exactly the same FD and I've never taken a youngster to watch a dig in my life. Taking youngsters with an adult dog IMO puts them off what they should be doing, they'll either get intimidated by the older dogs or distracted by them.

• Like 6
33 minutes ago, Mixedgrill said:

That’s balls 

Can only comment on what I do .If you’d like to give us an account of your own method I’ll be sure to read with interest rather than the few derogatory words you usually come up with .Understand if your a bit shy .

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, sid g said:

few weeks before a young dogs ready I have in the past pegged em out to get used to , being pegged out .being around a dig and the lads we dig with ,

If the dog is entered on its own in a calm manner and dug to with a result there is little need for pegging out of any sort .I hate multiple dogs at a dig  .

• Like 4

Always brought a pup along on a dig can't see the harm , as soon as I see it making a drive for the entrance I will try it the next outing. Often works and on the issue of a dog jacking if you happen to have another terrier on a dig which we always do ,and the dog jack's and you dig the same quarry with another terrier no excuses should be made but each to there own some will put up with it some wont

Edited by howdeeposxxt
  • Like 2
14 minutes ago, howdeeposxxt said:

Always brought a pup along on a dig can't see the harm , as soon as I see it making a drive for the entrance I will try it the next outing. Often works and on the issue of a dog jacking if you happen to have another terrier on a dig which we always do ,and the dog jack's and you dig the same quarry with another terrier no excuses should be made but each to there own some will put up with it some wont

I know of a bitch that was entered over 20 times and failed 19 of them that has went on to become a very very reliable bitch that has seen a serious amount of work and hasn’t put a foot wrong once she started proper. 

• Like 1
Just now, sid g said:

the bitch done well to get 20 chances

Indeed she did. Lol. It was actually more than 20 but I just rounded it off to that. Lol. I had her for half of the failed attempts and a successful dig then give her back to the man that breed her and he just persevered till she eventually clicked and she’s never looked back. 

1 hour ago, dogmandont said:

I know of a bitch that was entered over 20 times and failed 19 of them that has went on to become a very very reliable bitch that has seen a serious amount of work and hasn’t put a foot wrong once she started proper. 

That person has some patients I'm not for one second saying your lying but that's like winning the lotto. I'm glad it worked out but a cat with nine lives would have not got that. So dogman just curious was she on quarry 19 times and failed and then clicked after that 

Just now, Apache... said:

Experience and knowing your own stuff, that's what it's all about dmd.

AHH come on would you give a terrier 20 times to ground before you call it a failure experience also can show that can be an awfully waste a time and that time can be put into other terriers showing more sign.

15 minutes ago, howdeeposxxt said:

AHH come on would you give a terrier 20 times to ground before you call it a failure experience also can show that can be an awfully waste a time and that time can be put into other terriers showing more sign.

I personally probably wouldn’t but it would depend on the circumstances. To many lads try them once and get rid instead of giving them a few runs after all you have them for a year and a half what difference will an extra month make. If it works out all well and good if it doesn’t it’s only a bit of feeding. To many just to quick to pull the trigger 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1