SHOW US YOUR PATTERDALES

Is it finding when others can't or staying when others won't, locking when others don't or using their brains when others didn't? We all have different views on what a good or very good dog is, and dilIy I wouldn't work a dog slightly sore no matter what the situation is pal. ?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Rabbit Hunter said:

It’s personal opinion, I have a couple of dogs I rate highly, but the older one is my favourite. They’re both basically the same dog on paper. But 2 of my mates have always said they’d love a pup from the younger one. So who’s right, me or them?

Your mates

• Haha 1

I would personally have young stuff coming on every season, if your digging a lot you need stuff coming on, anything can happen at any time I'd rather have one too many than be short, my pal lost his best dog this season another lad lost one, another walked so there's 3 between 3 of us.

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, Apache... said:

I would personally have young stuff coming on every season, if your digging a lot you need stuff coming on, anything can happen at any time I'd rather have one too many than be short, my pal lost his best dog this season another lad lost one, another walked so there's 3 between 3 of us.

I agree Apache but it can be a fine line, I feel over dogged during the Summer and then in the middle of the season I feel under dogged?

• Like 5

At the start of the season I had 4 bitchs1 was  going 9 year old 2 going 7 and another going 4.my plan was to breed the old bitch mother to the other 3 and the youngest daughter but unfortunately I lost the young bitch and that has put a big dent in my kennels.now hopefully I will still breed the old bitch but will also have to breed 1 or both of the others as I can't rely on the old bitchholding or raring pups as last time she had  2 and both died.hopefully I will get at least  1 litter and pups will be split among g ourselves and the man who has the stud dog.its funny but by just losing g 1 it f****d up my kennel so better to be looking at them than looking for them IMO.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

here is one for the well practical and the  theorists , Brian Nuttall ( amongst other) sells terriers to the USA  "If" they are worked they are worked on groundhogs the odd raccoon and  fox , 30 plus years pass and this blood is sold to europe , where they have been worked to the legal quarry of badger fox and raccoon dog and they have worked well , that's 30 years were maybe some have been lightly worked how can this happen ? 

7 hours ago, Rabbit Hunter said:

I agree Apache but it can be a fine line, I feel over dogged during the Summer and then in the middle of the season I feel under dogged?

hey RH if you ever feel over dogged this summer give me a pm lol

• Haha 1

Because the  "force"  is strong in them ?

If they're the only blacks out there and presumably they're mating like to like,  IE  two Nuttalls together then they're going nowhere further genetically than Brian did.  It's just the same genetic make up going around and around,  once they're back in Europe the lads could sort the wheat from the  chaff again..........

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, dillydog said:

Because the  "force"  is strong in them ?

If they're the only blacks out there and presumably they're mating like to like,  IE  two Nuttalls together then they're going nowhere further genetically than Brian did.  It's just the same genetic make up going around and around,  once they're back in Europe the lads could sort the wheat from the  chaff again..........

so some new blood is needed.so lads say breed tight.father daughter breeding.mother son.so when do you know when is the right time to inject some new blood.into the line.

to add new vigour etc.and when do you know the line is going stale so to speak.

watching the dogs perform etc.but if you are new to that line of dogs how do you work out when the line needs a bit of new blood.