SHOW US YOUR PATTERDALES

1 hour ago, foxdropper said:

It’s not until you read posts like the last half dozen or so that you start to think about those terriers you never bred which maybe should of had a chance but all too late now .Good steady digging dogs  ain’t mediocre either ,they are what we strive for .Those that supposedly shine ,probably do so for other reasons than digging ie just a good dog to have around ,breed  decent stuff but we subconsciously link it all to digging .If it stays to be dug to time after time ,then any dog shines in my book .

Lost a bitch 4 seasons ago at 7 year old that should have been bred from, realised it the day I lost her and have been kicking myself ever since. Was one of those terriers you kind of take for granted and went about her business without much fuss, not a superstar by any means but just a good honest reliable terrier that should have been given a chance to pass those traits on. One of the biggest mistakes I’ve made from I started out in dogs. 

• Like 6

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, howdeeposxxt said:

I'm not here to criticize anyone  but would you not breed from your best dog I would and I think I respect my other terrier by digging them as often as possible but I will always stand by breeding form the best in my yard. I will never look down on my dogs but no 1 will be put over number 1 not number 2 but as you said once there in the end you could class them all number 1 but when I look at a terrier a particular one probably just takes my fancy maybe the next man would prefer the dog in the next kennel it all comes down to opinion.

I agree totally with you mate .Ive always put best to best IMO but looking back there have been a few that maybe should have had a litter .No regrets on dogs used at all just a few bitches I never lined .

It’s personal opinion, I have a couple of dogs I rate highly, but the older one is my favourite. They’re both basically the same dog on paper. But 2 of my mates have always said they’d love a pup from the younger one. So who’s right, me or them?

Edited by Rabbit Hunter
  • Like 1
6 minutes ago, Rabbit Hunter said:

It’s personal opinion, I have a couple of dogs I rate highly, but the older one is my favourite. They’re both basically the same dog on paper. But 2 of my mates have always said they’d love a dog from the younger one. So who’s right, me or them?

If they’re good dogs then both are right get a good bitch and see which produces

25 minutes ago, foxdropper said:

I agree totally with you mate .Ive always put best to best IMO but looking back there have been a few that maybe should have had a litter .No regrets on dogs used at all just a few bitches I never lined .

Unfortunately that comes with the game it's a game of its and buts what I can't stand is the boys breeding for money and using this excuse """o well his brother is bred the same way so it should prosper " the way I see it breed your best dogs in the yard ya can't do any better than that.

• Like 5

If it was as easy a 2+2 = 4 we'd all have a yard of legends,  it's all a gamble,  you're just shortening the odds in your favour. 

I've had the privilege of owning some fantastic terriers over the years, some that outshone their siblings and anything else on the bank. I've found in this line ( the only one I've got experience of ) there's no 100% guarantee that you'll get the best from the best. Perhaps that's a poor way of putting it but without writing a book I'll have to keep it simple.  I've had two or three examples in my lifetime where the lesser of the two siblings ended up being the better producer. That's the joy of keeping a line, you see the same traits popping up and you can keep breeding to the extended family. I would always breed from the best, we've only got one lifetime so you'd be daft not to BUT ...don't discount the brother or sister to the apple of your eye, same blood and in the grand scheme of things it has the exact same chance of throwing what you're looking for. 

It's all a gamble,  genetics is a lottery with no guarantees, and no, before you ask I wouldn't breed from a shite hound, but maybe from a good dog that's not quite the legend his brother, sister, father  or mother is.

Edited by dillydog
  • Like 9
35 minutes ago, howdeeposxxt said:

R.H I only breed from the best in my yard I don't have a covahor belt of pups every year so to me it makes sense to breed from my best terrier  but if a man feels the need to breed every year he ain't producing to a high standard

Could be said that to find your best producers you need to breed ,test then breed some  more .Once the ingredience  are there  then it’s time to breed selectively and with a goal in mind .Which brings us back to good mates and trust ,an issue that seems greater than just breeding the right stuff .

• Like 4
28 minutes ago, howdeeposxxt said:

R.H I only breed from the best in my yard I don't have a covahor belt of pups every year so to me it makes sense to breed from my best terrier  but if a man feels the need to breed every year he ain't producing to a high standard

That’s a load of ? ?⚽⚾️  you need a litter coming through every year...

so what happens if you lose a few dogs real top class dog and bitch say six year old and you’ve nothing off them your yard will not be long taken a serious hit 

• Like 1