SHOW US YOUR PATTERDALES

5 hours ago, rob284 said:

I wouldn’t call a dog a jacker off one dig, dogs can have a bad day and if they aren’t fit or they’re sick when facing good quarry it wouldn’t bother me as long as they showed they still had it the rest of the season and it’s not a reoccurring thing.

If he was with his quarry and came out he jacked if he couldn't get to his quarry why didn't he dig on and if he had an upset tummy why did he walk I wouldn't get a day of work for it   So many excuse lead to so many failures

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

tank, 3 years old

Just got him out, just over 8 hours...... home bath, pjs on then bed.....

Posted Images

29 minutes ago, howdeeposxxt said:

If he was with his quarry and came out he jacked if he couldn't get to his quarry why didn't he dig on and if he had an upset tummy why did he walk I wouldn't get a day of work for it   So many excuse lead to so many failures

Depends on the ground your working, a big dog will never dig on in some places, and those big dogs are of no use to lads in those areas. day off work ? hardly compares though does it. If your ill you can’t work, especially if it’s a taxing job. We are talking about animals here not machines, if you don’t have them in good health they won’t work hard forever. If my dog was to walk the first thing I would look at is myself, have I missed something that’s a bit off with the dog. If I’m confident that he is fit for the job, I’ll take him out again and keep a close eye on him. If it reoccurs I’d say the dog has had enough and Pts and I can sleep at night knowing I gave the dog a fair go. I’ve a dog there that’s done me 4 seasons of hard digging, he came off after 90 minutes to ground last season, I was devastated but decided I’d give him another go.  I dug him over 30 times last season, and I dug 7m with him last week on two digs On the Saturday and Sunday, I could have Pts but I’m glad I didn’t.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, howdeeposxxt said:

And many a good dog pts due to a fit of rage from a pissed of owner could counter that, for showing off in front of their mates. Ya will know a jacker from a stumble

• Like 6
7 hours ago, howdeeposxxt said:

So many excuse lead to so many failures

But do they? 

Just because a dog is a world beater, never missed a beat type dog, doesn’t mean that he’ll re-produce himself. How many times has it been the case that the superstar from a litter produces bugger all and his brother who’s an honest average digging dog has produced worker after worker? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, Rabbit Hunter said:

But do they? 

Just because a dog is a world beater, never missed a beat type dog, doesn’t mean that he’ll re-produce himself. How many times has it been the case that the superstar from a litter produces bugger all and his brother who’s an honest average digging dog has produced worker after worker? 

Still wouldn’t breed off an average dog but I get what your saying chum

I have a dog there this season he started to hard for his own good his first couple of digs were shaky he was rolling around trying to bully the game making mistakes nearly forcing the shift but he dug a couple and failed a couple and I wasn’t impressed by him I put him in a spot that was maybe to big a test just because I wanted to see what he was about and he showed after 1hr beat up and exhausted I made my mind up in my head he was finished only my digging partner convinced me to try him one more time so I healed him and gave him another go and he used his voice for the first time and has used it since he will still rattle him but uses his voice plenty  and has dug away since with no fails that’s not to say he won’t walk again because it’s always in the back of my head but sometimes it costs nothing to try them again 

• Like 4
19 minutes ago, aaron01 said:

I have a dog there this season he started to hard for his own good his first couple of digs were shaky he was rolling around trying to bully the game making mistakes nearly forcing the shift but he dug a couple and failed a couple and I wasn’t impressed by him I put him in a spot that was maybe to big a test just because I wanted to see what he was about and he showed after 1hr beat up and exhausted I made my mind up in my head he was finished only my digging partner convinced me to try him one more time so I healed him and gave him another go and he used his voice for the first time and has used it since he will still rattle him but uses his voice plenty  and has dug away since with no fails that’s not to say he won’t walk again because it’s always in the back of my head but sometimes it costs nothing to try them again 

An apprenticeship is for making mistakes and learning from them. Every dog is different in maturity mentality etc etc so patience is needed at the start and hope he makes the grade, now on the other hand a protestor at the hole is no good lol

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Rabbit Hunter said:

But do they? 

But still R.H if breeding you have too breed from the better worker otherwise it's all blown out the door if we all discard the grafter and just breed from the mediocre it will fade out eventually.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, howdeeposxxt said:

But still R.H if breeding you have too breed from the better worker otherwise it's all blown out the door if we all discard the grafter and just breed from the mediocre it will fade out eventually.

When I said average digging dog, I don’t mean it in any bad way, the dog is still being dug regular but his brother outshines him for some reason?

You must surely see it in your own dogs? Say you have 2 or 3 digging dogs in your kennels now, I’ll bet you have a favourite but the others are still good at their job, it doesn’t mean you won’t breed from the others does it? Or put it another way, if you and your mate have 2 brothers, yours is the superstar and your mates is JUST a genuine, honest worker, but he is the best dog in your mates kennel, then surely he would use him over a bitch?

It’s all hypothetical and difficult to get my point across on here but hopefully you get what I’m saying?

• Like 7
3 minutes ago, Rabbit Hunter said:

When I said average digging dog, I don’t mean it in any bad way, the dog is still being dug regular but his brother outshines him for some reason?

You must surely see it in your own dogs? Say you have 2 or 3 digging dogs in your kennels now, I’ll bet you have a favourite but the others are still good at their job, it doesn’t mean you won’t breed from the others does it? Or put it another way, if you and your mate have 2 brothers, yours is the superstar and your mates is JUST a genuine, honest worker, but he is the best dog in your mates kennel, then surely he would use him over a bitch?

It’s all hypothetical and difficult to get my point across on here but hopefully you get what I’m saying?

I do indeed unstand you R.H and I am positive I come across a one minded dope on here because I can barely understand myself at times if I'm real honest with myself my oldest bitch was bred the way you have stated and I do sure have a favourite but with the little breeding I do I probably only breed from my favourite/best dog and the others will be worked till they can work no more but I wouldn't be breeding so much to give them a look in unless god forbid something happens. I'll just enjoy them and be glad they where put together the right way and do what there bred ta do.

• Like 4

It’s not until you read posts like the last half dozen or so that you start to think about those terriers you never bred which maybe should of had a chance but all too late now .Good steady digging dogs  ain’t mediocre either ,they are what we strive for .Those that supposedly shine ,probably do so for other reasons than digging ie just a good dog to have around ,breed  decent stuff but we subconsciously link it all to digging .If it stays to be dug to time after time ,then any dog shines in my book .

• Like 7
12 minutes ago, foxdropper said:

It’s not until you read posts like the last half dozen or so that you start to think about those terriers you never bred which maybe should of had a chance but all too late now .Good steady digging dogs  ain’t mediocre either ,they are what we strive for .Those that supposedly shine ,probably do so for other reasons than digging ie just a good dog to have around ,breed  decent stuff but we subconsciously link it all to digging .If it stays to be dug to time after time ,then any dog shines in my book .

I'm not here to criticize anyone  but would you not breed from your best dog I would and I think I respect my other terrier by digging them as often as possible but I will always stand by breeding form the best in my yard. I will never look down on my dogs but no 1 will be put over number 1 not number 2 but as you said once there in the end you could class them all number 1 but when I look at a terrier a particular one probably just takes my fancy maybe the next man would prefer the dog in the next kennel it all comes down to opinion.

Edited by howdeeposxxt
  • Like 2