SHOW US YOUR PATTERDALES

Once a type or line is settled upon the entering becomes a blur ,it’s almost a given and failures a surprise .These threads on entering sometimes have me thinking about what exactly I do to enter the young terrier and the answer is apart from chauffeur them from hole to hole ,absolutely nothing ,it’s all on them .Ive been all over the place digging and I’m no longer surprised by the antics some get up to just to get a dog started .

Keep calm and let them do their thing is my advice .Forget all the old fail safes and last chance remedies .

I think the older you get the more relaxed about time you get ,there is no panic to get a dog working .

When  I was mid 20s I’ll admit I wrote off a few dogs a bit hasty but the flip side was confidence in what I was doing producing stuff I could take anywhere .

I think attitudes have changed a lot in entering tbh and for the better as I see it .

• Like 2

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bitch is well gone but her first time in rock an found she got a good seeing to she would not look at an earth or rock pile when she was right lad did loads of bushing an ratting over summer time she got couple of cubs in cover , come next season he tryed her again she made a very good rock bitch who bolted a lot of fox from big piles , she was lost in rock never tobe seen again same pile she worked a good 8 season's 

• Like 1

I gave up overthinking and analysing terrier work years ago simply because one day your digging to ur dog you've bred thinking its a goodun then your 5 feet down you look up and it's staring down at you?????? I stick to the basics now and what the dogs have taught me over the years ( which is more than any dogman has ).

• Like 4
11 minutes ago, dillydog said:

If someone's looking down at you while you're 5 ft down you should try digging in heels ?

That's reminded me of something the owner of a small coal quarry I worked at did once.

His daughter was building a house on his land out of stone.

The owner turned up with his daughter her husband and his wife and were picking stone of the bunds on the side of the haul road to build the house his wife had high heels on she was about 60.

He had her doing a shift fair play to him ?

The same owner wouldn't pay for toilets on site we had to shit in the forest.

I questioned him he said.

Have a shit before you come to work lol.

So I ripped into him.

How the feck can I train my arse to shit at a given time you daft fecker.

He still wouldn't pay for toilets right old git

• Haha 1
18 minutes ago, Apache... said:

I would need stilts to some of the places you dig you nutter, have you dug all the handy ones eh!! I hope Glyn has a good back. ?

I doubt  I'd ever get round to it I've just got another big patch of land  this season and after doing a tidy job for one farmer its had a knock on effect and after digging on my own for 5 seasons I've ask someone else to help me, but never say never and with a lack of terriers I may well be extending the invites myself 

• Like 3
5 hours ago, Apache... said:

I gave up overthinking and analysing terrier work years ago simply because one day your digging to ur dog you've bred thinking its a goodun then your 5 feet down you look up and it's staring down at you?????? I stick to the basics now and what the dogs have taught me over the years ( which is more than any dogman has ).

Probably the most sensible thing I’ve heard on the internet ? take a young dog to a live set on his own no other dogs people or distractions and you will learn a whole lot from them especially the type I keep are a little bit highly strung and it doesn’t take much to break there chain of thought of the matter in hand 

• Like 3
22 hours ago, Dig-deep-draw-charlie said:

This dog started after he was 2! Was getting to the point when I was leaving in the morning  even the thought of bringing him out put me in a bad mood! Then d day arrived and u would swore he knew, in he went and ain’t looked back since lol but this dog has more chances than enough!

AE651E6A-E10C-4A49-AA9F-4E125A51C71A.png

Is that the same dog that’s going over a bitch belonging to the hounds man your running with ?