SHOW US YOUR PATTERDALES

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

tank, 3 years old

Just got him out, just over 8 hours...... home bath, pjs on then bed.....

Posted Images

44 minutes ago, aaron01 said:

You either have a yard full of world beaters or an empty yard with that view to me there’s no right or wrong way to enter a young dog your opinion is based on the outcome if he digs it in your mind it’s the perfect start if he doesn’t you are downhearted from day one the truth of the matter is a great dog isn’t born great it takes time effort and lots of work you have got to allow for hiccups along the way and any man that tells you that he has got everything he’s put the dog too I’d take with a pinch of salt ?? I’ve been lucky enough to see some top class dogs both hard no reverse types and rock steady away with no damage and none are any better than the other it’s just personal preference to your style of hunting and the land you hunt 

There's hiccups and there is walking away from your quarry.   Ill stand by what I said I've no place for walkers. I would allow for hiccups for a young dog too make mistakes below ground but once he is there in the finish thats a result and a good start for a young dog, but to walk to me is the worst start possible 

• Like 1

I’ve seen a young dog come away at 14 month old and bounce out of a hole playing with the other dog that was tied up as if it was some sort of game, the same dog made it into old age as a good digging dog. Maybe a better terrier man would have put the dog down immediately?

Macho bullshit results in empty kennels, I’ve seen a dog that was wanting work from 10 months old turn out a coward and on the other hand a dog that never entered until he was 19 months old be the hardest dog I’ve ever seen. There’s too much of a grey area to be making rash decisions with first season dogs.

• Like 9

Nothing Macho about it RH , its how alot of terriermen do it and with great result and have good standard of terriers to show for it, we all have own ways I for one couldnt live with a walker some can and also get a good outcome from them ? I would feel alot more confident with a young dog that stays too making the grade than one that walks. There is a fierce difference in a young dog thats not ready and a young dog that walks  . I wouldnt let a young dog in until i feel he is ready and if on quarry and walks it surely is not something I think terriermen should be so placid about.

Edited by howdeeposxxt
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, howdeeposxxt said:

There's hiccups and there is walking away from your quarry.   Ill stand by what I said I've no place for walkers. I would allow for hiccups for a young dog too make mistakes below ground but once he is there in the finish thats a result and a good start for a young dog, but to walk to me is the worst start possible 

There’s a big difference in a green pup losing game or something happens underground and it doesn’t have the experience to work it out and walking away from the quarry it’s being able to spot the difference I’m no fool they don’t all make it regardless of breeding but just because they didn’t dig the game doesn’t always mean they walked either it’s a matter of personal opinion how you view the dog 

• Like 5

Ain’t nothing macho about being disappointed about a young dog coming away, I was gifted a bitch pup 5 seasons ago reared and entered like every other terrier dug her on the 4th attempt she then went on to walk away from stuff not be able to find in the easiest of places till I could persevere no more and give her back to the lad that bred her and she continued to do the same till one day it all clicked for her and she’s now his main digging bitch so I understand that with some you have to stick at it. 

• Like 5

So this is how I see it in my little brain. Hypothetically speaking if I was to keep 4 out of a litter.  One morning I decide to take all young dogs out at 18mth and I have 4 digs of similar dept and time, again like I said Hypothetically speaking . So the first terrier goes in and works his quarry and the dig is perfect one hole  I lift him and im very pleased he worked a treat . We move on to the second terrier he goes in and gives it a bit,  works away but I have to dig a couple a holes to get him out but he is there in the end so I lift him im still chuffed he stuck to it. The 3rd terrier goes in meets his quarry I try to locate a spot but he is fannying about not settling then comes out after half hour not looking keen to go back in and looks abit sorry for himself, what goes on in my mind -is ok this guy is taking the piss and i drop an experienced dog and we get the quarry. 3rd terrier im not f***ing happy at all. 4th terrier is brought to a hole he has no interest all he wants ta do is hump the dog beside him or be petted but thats ok in my mind ill give him more time. Bottom line when I go home ill keep the 1st terrier the second terrier and the 4th terrier.  If someone else wants the 3rd one they would be more than welcome to em. Im done now on the subject to many ifs and buts 

Edited by howdeeposxxt
  • Like 2

It’s an open forum for discussion, everyone has different opinions, there’s no need to get so hot under the collar about it. 

Back to your post HowDeep, what I’m trying to say is some terriers can start flying and slowly fade away to rubbish whereas a spooky starter or one that doesn’t look too keen can end up a world beater once the penny drops. Lads are too quick to judge a young terrier on one or two digs, I’d always say give them a until the end of their first season before making hasty decisions IMO.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, Rabbit Hunter said:

It’s an open forum for discussion, everyone has different opinions, there’s no need to get so hot under the collar about it. 

Back to your post HowDeep, what I’m trying to say is some terriers can start flying and slowly fade away to rubbish whereas a spooky starter or one that doesn’t look too keen can end up a world beater once the penny drops. Lads are too quick to judge a young terrier on one or two digs, I’d always say give them a until the end of their first season before making hasty decisions IMO.

We should all no that I agree with most of that but if I had a terrier that was of  starting age and came out after working its quarry for me its something I just dont like in a terrier. Im 100% sure im not the only one its how we keep are kennels going it works for us may not for someone else. On too many occasions men where more than glad to take terriers of us in the past with the knowledge that they had walked from an early age and none of them came to a good standard . Half decent but not of a high standard if it aint broke why try to fix it.

Edited by howdeeposxxt
  • Like 2
48 minutes ago, howdeeposxxt said:

So this is how I see it in my little brain. Hypothetically speaking if I was to keep 4 out of a litter.  One morning I decide to take all young dogs out at 18mth and I have 4 digs of similar dept and time, again like I said Hypothetically speaking . So the first terrier goes in and works his quarry and the dig is perfect one hole  I lift him and im very pleased he worked a treat . We move on to the second terrier he goes in and gives it a bit,  works away but I have to dig a couple a holes to get him out but he is there in the end so I lift him im still chuffed he stuck to it. The 3rd terrier goes in meets his quarry I try to locate a spot but he is fannying about not settling then comes out after half hour not looking keen to go back in and looks abit sorry for himself, what goes on in my mind -is ok this guy is taking the piss and i drop an experienced dog and we get the quarry. 3rd terrier im not f***ing happy at all. 4th terrier is brought to a hole he has no interest all he wants ta do is hump the dog beside him or be petted but thats ok in my mind ill give him more time. Bottom line when I go home ill keep the 1st terrier the second terrier and the 4th terrier.  If someone else wants the 3rd one they would be more than welcome to em. Im done now on the subject to many ifs and buts 

I’d agree with you ? per cent but that’s not how your first post came across