SHOW US YOUR PATTERDALES

2 hours ago, Rabbit Hunter said:

I understand your viewpoint on this Glyn, but say you had an unentered pup that went to ground in an earth that you thought was only shallow but ended up say 8 foot deep. Would you expect the pup to stay there until you dug it out? 

Don’t get me wrong, I know there’s some terriers that are born naturals that just work and stay from day one but IMO they are a small minority. 

I’d be very disappointed if a young dog came away on a 8 ft dig even if it was his first. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

tank, 3 years old

Just got him out, just over 8 hours...... home bath, pjs on then bed.....

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, dogmandont said:

I’d be very disappointed if a young dog came away on a 8 ft dig even if it was his first. 

If terrier was on his quarry and walked away from it to me that's a jacker and the worst possible start and a very quick end to his/her working life. From day one they need to be consistent.

2 minutes ago, howdeeposxxt said:

If terrier was on his quarry and walked away from it to me that's a jacker and the worst possible start and a very quick end to his/her working life. From day one they need to be consistent.

Come on lads seriously educated game in a big place could easily make a young dog look very foolish the gamble can pay of and he should stay and see it out but it can just as easy go the other way. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, Rabbit Hunter said:

I don’t agree with that Glyn. I think the odd terrier that is totally mute and reckless will maybe do what you say. But the average working terrier is in some way working for it’s owner as much as itself. 

I think that’s the main idea of digging pups in easy spots, to get them in to the routine of entering, working, being dug to (repeat, repeat and so on). Until it’s second nature to them and they have total trust in you that you’ll be digging them whether they’re in 10 minutes or 5 hours.

Totally agree 

So if a dog doesn’t need any encouragement to be dug from the off and they only do it for themselves why does it take longer to get some entered rather than others? It’s a team effort in my opinion and when a dogs confidence is sky high Because of how well he’s kept and educated he or she is more often than not going to be the best animal he can be, otherwise they’d all just be locked in the pen until 16 months old then hey presto another legend. Rabbit hunter I’m definitely with you on this one but hey what do I know Glyn ?!

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, chesney said:

Come on lads seriously educated game in a big place could easily make a young dog look very foolish the gamble can pay of and he should stay and see it out but it can just as easy go the other way. 

I would not hold onto a terrier that walked from its quarry that's just me. If I happened to meet educated stuff and had to dig an extra hole or 2 for a young dog  id be alright with that but to walk out and leave its game their I would not be happy. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, roundmouth86 said:

So if a dog doesn’t need any encouragement to be dug from the off and they only do it for themselves why does it take longer to get some entered rather than others? It’s a team effort in my opinion and when a dogs confidence is sky high Because of how well he’s kept and educated he or she is more often than not going to be the best animal he can be, otherwise they’d all just be locked in the pen until 16 months old then hey presto another legend. Rabbit hunter I’m definitely with you on this one but hey what do I know Glyn ?!

Ryan i have no idea what you know , what i can see is those of you who keep terriers from the same family have the same opinion so at least its consistent, i don't over face a terrier pup , but i don't fanny about with them neither, mine are walked stock broken all will have been walked up to and had a sniff in holes from 3 months , if i can i'll wait until they are around 15 months to start them others earlier  but once a pup has meet his quarry started baying i don't expect it to come off , the words once its meet/ found and that is the only way in which i allow them to progress is in the finding in larger places    each to there own i won't be keeping your stuff anymore than you would be mine , which is a good thing 

Edited by Glyn.....
  • Like 4

You're welcome to a day out whenever it suits Glyn, I've got nothing to hide or fear. Just because I don't expect instant results or legends from day one doesn't mean I don't own one, they all have to have hours in the classroom to make the animals they become. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, dillydog said:

You're welcome to a day out whenever it suits Glyn, I've got nothing to hide or fear. Just because I don't expect instant results or legends from day one doesn't mean I don't own one, they all have to have hours in the classroom to make the animals they become. 

Thanks for the offer Dillydog if i get a spare time i might take you up on your kind offer :) 

1 hour ago, chesney said:

Totally agree chesney and I’d never put a young dog in that situation well not knowingly anyway, I’ve seen good dogs get the run around in rangey places no deeper than 3 foot but if it was a straight forward place then yes I’d be disappointed, in my opinion it’s more important for a young dog to learn how to find and stick at it whereas the staying part should be completely natural. 

• Like 3
1 minute ago, dogmandont said:

Totally agree chesney and I’d never put a young dog in that situation well not knowingly anyway, I’ve seen good dogs get the run around in rangey places no deeper than 3 foot but if it was a straight forward place then yes I’d be disappointed, in my opinion it’s more important for a young dog to learn how to find and stick at it whereas the staying part should be completely natural. 

A young up n coming boxer has to learn his trade so he starts easy to get the feel, smell,sensations of what’s expected of him, he certainly isn’t put up against hw champ in his 1st bout, he should be put into situations according to his ability and the more he learns the higher and better he should progress, and keep winning, why should it be any different to dogs?

• Like 6
11 hours ago, howdeeposxxt said:

You either have a yard full of world beaters or an empty yard with that view to me there’s no right or wrong way to enter a young dog your opinion is based on the outcome if he digs it in your mind it’s the perfect start if he doesn’t you are downhearted from day one the truth of the matter is a great dog isn’t born great it takes time effort and lots of work you have got to allow for hiccups along the way and any man that tells you that he has got everything he’s put the dog too I’d take with a pinch of salt ?? I’ve been lucky enough to see some top class dogs both hard no reverse types and rock steady away with no damage and none are any better than the other it’s just personal preference to your style of hunting and the land you hunt 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1