Stopper pad injury, will not heal

Ok, my bitch cut along side, and under her stopper pad at the end of december. The vet stitched it, left it 10 days, then stitches were removed. She was then lead walked for 10 days. As soon as she ran on it, not working, just basic excersize it opened up again. Went back to the vet and this time it was stapled and she was given a course of antibiotics, left it 2 weeks and took the staples out on 6th feb. Since then she has been lead walked. Today threw the dummy for her and she ran to get it, again not all out just playing, and the f*cking thing has opened up again!

i've just rang the vets and they say she needs it stitching again, this seems a bit daft as it hasnt worked yet. i've heard of dogs having their stoppers removed, is this an option and how does it affect their running? i want the best for her especially as she has lost all her condition and suffers from what i can only describe as canine depression when out of work and unable to excersize for so long. On top of that we have missed most of this season due to this and other injuries which is driving me crazy!

Any useful advice or suggestions apprieciated.

Ok, my bitch cut along side, and under her stopper pad at the end of december. The vet stitched it, left it 10 days, then stitches were removed. She was then lead walked for 10 days. As soon as she ran on it, not working, just basic excersize it opened up again. Went back to the vet and this time it was stapled and she was given a course of antibiotics, left it 2 weeks and took the staples out on 6th feb. Since then she has been lead walked. Today threw the dummy for her and she ran to get it, again not all out just playing, and the f*cking thing has opened up again!

i've just rang the vets and they say she needs it stitching again, this seems a bit daft as it hasnt worked yet. i've heard of dogs having their stoppers removed, is this an option and how does it affect their running? i want the best for her especially as she has lost all her condition and suffers from what i can only describe as canine depression when out of work and unable to excersize for so long. On top of that we have missed most of this season due to this and other injuries which is driving me crazy!

i no a few lads that use superglue mate might be worth a try all the best.

Guest little lurcher

super glue a clean wound only leaving a small drain hole

i had a bitch do this a few times , never went lame on it after 2nd time but bled like a b*****d!!! i tend to cover it with vet wrap when i start exercise again , just to support the healing , takes 2 mins to put on and no lame bleeding dog ?

super glue a clean wound only leaving a small drain hole

i had a bitch do this a few times , never went lame on it after 2nd time but bled like a b*****d!!! i tend to cover it with vet wrap when i start exercise again , just to support the healing , takes 2 mins to put on and no lame bleeding dog ?

Once the injury is resealed (by whatever means) use some stopper protectors to protect them for a few weeks. You can buy them from www.countrymun.com

WHEN YOU WALK YOUR DOG THERE WILL BE NO PROBLEM AFTER A FEW WEEKS OF REST, WHEN YOU RUN HIM HIM HIS PADS ABSORB THE SHOCK OF HIS BODY WEIGHT !! ITS A GOOD KICK UP THE HOLE YOU BOTH SHOULD GET = YOU AND THE VET, REPLACE THE DOG WITH ANOTHER DOG AND LEAVE HIM REST FOR TWO MONTHS, EVEN THIS MIGHT NOW CURE HIS PAD, WHEN PADS GET CUT THERE OPEN TO EVERY GERM THATS ON THE GROUND, DOGS SWEAT THROUGH THERE PADS AND ALSO LICK THEM SO HEALING TAKES LONGER, FOOT PAD, FOOT TUFF ARE FINE FOR PADS THAT ARE SKINED OR SCRAPED, NOT STICHED !!! ITS A DOG NOT A MACHINE !! YOU MIGHT BE OFFENED BY THIS POST, BUT I HAVE BEEN THERE AND DONE IT APPLY COMMON SENSE !!

WHEN YOU WALK YOUR DOG THERE WILL BE NO PROBLEM AFTER A FEW WEEKS OF REST, WHEN YOU RUN HIM HIM HIS PADS ABSORB THE SHOCK OF HIS BODY WEIGHT !! ITS A GOOD KICK UP THE HOLE YOU BOTH SHOULD GET = YOU AND THE VET, REPLACE THE DOG WITH ANOTHER DOG AND LEAVE HIM REST FOR TWO MONTHS, EVEN THIS MIGHT NOW CURE HIS PAD, WHEN PADS GET CUT THERE OPEN TO EVERY GERM THATS ON THE GROUND, DOGS SWEAT THROUGH THERE PADS AND ALSO LICK THEM SO HEALING TAKES LONGER, FOOT PAD, FOOT TUFF ARE FINE FOR PADS THAT ARE SKINED OR SCRAPED, NOT STICHED !!! ITS A DOG NOT A MACHINE !! YOU MIGHT BE OFFENED BY THIS POST, BUT I HAVE BEEN THERE AND DONE IT APPLY COMMON SENSE !!

Not offended at all mate, shes not been worked since she had the injury and has only been walked on lead when it was, supposed to be, healed. This has been going on since december so its been near on 2 months and still splits. Are you saying 2 months from now? its not the end of the world for me as i have another dog to run but not being able to go out seems to have a bad affect on the bitch, she mopes about and isnt interested in her food and is loosing condition.

Asto glue i think its too big a hole. i will get a pic up later, got to go to vets now though. Thanks for the replies

........racer,s normally use ,, vet wrap , on there dogs stopper,s to protect them,,get vet wrap from any vet,s,,small roll works best, wrap it round about several time,s ,,when ur working ur dog.

depending on ground,,,should help to protect stopper a little better

Hate to put a damper on things mate, but i had a bitch with the same problem, and to be honest, nothing worked for me, i eventually had both stops removed and the skin still split, i wasted months nursing the dog each time the stopper split which would always happen on the first slip, sometimes both stops at once! f***kin nightmare good luck to ya, hope you find something to help, i reckon get a new dog :(

Hate to put a damper on things mate, but i had a bitch with the same problem, and to be honest, nothing worked for me, i eventually had both stops removed and the skin still split, i wasted months nursing the dog each time the stopper split which would always happen on the first slip, sometimes both stops at once! f***kin nightmare good luck to ya, hope you find something to help, i reckon get a new dog :(

i hope your wrong, i will be gutted if she ends up like yours. Luckily shes insured so i can try everything to get her sound again.

You can buy stopper protectors in leather or waxed,they fasten with velcro ,alternatively vet wrap, a friend of mine uses this all the time.I once had a dogs stopper taken off ,it gave no trouble after that ,surgical spirit will help harden the skin up.ATB.