Salmon & trout

maybe you should probs get some instruction and do some fishing on stocked stillwaters first. salmon fishing is pretty hard and you might go for 5 days without a salmon. for trout on rivers i'd say probs a 4-6 weght rod and line and a light reel. for salmon fishing (depending on the size of the river) you will need:

fly fishing:

massive rivers:13-15ft large DH rod and weight 11-13 line

large rivers:11-13ft DH rod and and weight 9 11 line

med river: 9-11 SH rod with fighting butt and a 7-9 weight line

small rivers: 8-10 SH rod with fighting butt and a 6 to 8 weight line.

also check out the seasons for your river.

if your going for seatroot a single handed rod between 9 & 11ft any line rating 7 to 9 this will also do for rainbows you can catch salmon with this rod too BUT you would be better with a 15 ft rod most of these are line rated 10 or 11 all these depend on what water you have available to you there :hmm: if there chalk streams only a 6 to 8ft rod with a line rating 3 to 7 but that will probably be for wild brownies or grayling as for catching salmon or troot it could be months or even years before you catch any :wallbash: seatrout fishing is better to do at night but would advise you to do during the day as a beginner learn how to overhead cast with the troot rod first the double handed salmon rod is a totaly different ball game all about timing the best chance would to go to a stocked pond resivoir at least you know there are fish in them if you have the £££££ get some expert tuition :rolleyes: then you know roughly what you need to do could be here all day trying to explain things but would be endless as im still learning after 27 years ;):clapper:

if your going for seatroot a single handed rod between 9 & 11ft any line rating 7 to 9 this will also do for rainbows you can catch salmon with this rod too BUT you would be better with a 15 ft rod most of these are line rated 10 or 11 all these depend on what water you have available to you there :hmm: if there chalk streams only a 6 to 8ft rod with a line rating 3 to 7 but that will probably be for wild brownies or grayling as for catching salmon or troot it could be months or even years before you catch any :wallbash: seatrout fishing is better to do at night but would advise you to do during the day as a beginner learn how to overhead cast with the troot rod first the double handed salmon rod is a totaly different ball game all about timing the best chance would to go to a stocked pond resivoir at least you know there are fish in them if you have the £££££ get some expert tuition :rolleyes: then you know roughly what you need to do could be here all day trying to explain things but would be endless as im still learning after 27 years ;):clapper:

Well said Auld Salmon, that pretty much sums it up, before a new angler buys any tackle i would suggest that you view any potential waters that you may be fishing / wish to fish and assess your tackle needs for those waters, buying tackle can be a minefield for a new angler and it can be very easy indeed to recieve conflicting advice and spend your hard earned on totally unsuitable tackle, do you have a friend who fishes the waters that you intend to fish ?, if so i would recommend that you pester him for a day out borrowing some of his tackle and seeing if the water in question is for you

all the best

Fin & Fur

• 2 weeks later...
i want to fly fish for salmon & trout, i have fished most of my life mainly Sea.

what is the best time to fish for salmon in land. and has anyone got any tip for fly gear for a new beginer

Get yourself a lesson with a GAIA instructor. Worth every penny, in fact, it will save you money in the long run............Good luck!

• 5 months later...