lamping advice

hi

I am in desprate need of some advice on how to go lamping for rabbits. I have two whippets that are from excellant working stock , but it's me that is clueless. Any advice would be greatly appriciated like how to approach,time of day, weather, or if you can recommend any books.

The fields i take the dogs on have plenty of rabbits but they always seem to have thier backs to me or see me first and leggit well in advance. So where am i going wrong?

hi

I am in desprate need of some advice on how to go lamping for rabbits. I have two whippets that are from excellant working stock , but it's me that is clueless. Any advice would be greatly appriciated like how to approach,time of day, weather, or if you can recommend any books.

The fields i take the dogs on have plenty of rabbits but they always seem to have thier backs to me or see me first and leggit well in advance. So where am i going wrong?

Wait till it's dark.

i aint an expert

tho get a lamp an dog

try an get inbetween the bunny an its holes

then sweep the field with your lamp, watch for a rabbit thats quite far away fae cover

an if it squats tight against the floor, then better

then walk your dog up as far as you can to the bunny

as soon as it gets up an runs,

if the dog sees it, slip him

keep going out an its like everything the more you do it the better you will be

hope this helps

true true mate thats the best way and take your time dont just slip your dog on the first bunny you see good luck
Guest 1 man and hiz dog
i aint an expert

tho get a lamp an dog

try an get inbetween the bunny an its holes

then sweep the field with your lamp, watch for a rabbit thats quite far away fae cover

an if it squats tight against the floor, then better

then walk your dog up as far as you can to the bunny

as soon as it gets up an runs,

if the dog sees it, slip him

keep going out an its like everything the more you do it the better you will be

hope this helps

true true mate thats the best way and take your time dont just slip your dog on the first bunny you see good luck

get your lamp and get out there mate and learn off your own mistakes you will learn ha ha
hi

Where are you? The best thing to do is find someone experienced who will let you tag along.

Guest Catcher
hi

How much do you know.Or are you just begining

Guest Gavkent
hi

first try late, past midnight preferably windy night, be quiet take only one dog at a time until your confident, wait till in field then lamp up, find a sitter and keep lamp bang on it and walk calmly to it preferably down wind of it. get as close as possible if still sits steady your dog so it can see, then pssstt!! or kick it, the dog should chase straight away and remember lamp the rabbit and not the dog. if it catches get to rabbit as quick as possible to stop it sqealing, turn off lamp, pet your dog, and put on lead for next one. thats what i was told when i were young.

hi

im just begining

hi

first try late, past midnight preferably windy night, be quiet take only one dog at a time until your confident, wait till in field then lamp up, find a sitter and keep lamp bang on it and walk calmly to it preferably down wind of it. get as close as possible if still sits steady your dog so it can see, then pssstt!! or kick it, the dog should chase straight away and remember lamp the rabbit and not the dog. if it catches get to rabbit as quick as possible to stop it sqealing, turn off lamp, pet your dog, and put on lead for next one. thats what i was told when i were young.

thanks for the advice.

Guest Catcher
hi

im just begining

I must admit and it gets on my tits to say it .(But Galkent) has gave :clapper::clapper: you some good advice.Would tell you a bit more myself but i will give way this time. ATB catcher

hi

Where are you from,is there no one that is willing to take you out on here and show you some tips,I would be more then willing, [essex area] good luck

The best advice I can give you is to forget internet forums, just get out there with your dog and your lamp and have fun. Everyone has their own little ways of doing things and experience and trial and error are the best ways to learn them. If you want some tips to be more successful I would say

1) walk the ground you intend to lamp during the day and suss out where the buries are and which way the rabbits are likely to run to reach sanctuary

2) increase your chances of rabbits feeding further from their buries by going on a dark, drizzly, windy night

3) dont slip on no hopers (rabbits the dog has little or no chance of catching) all your doing by that is making the rabbits lamp shy and knocking the dogs confidence. Get it easy runs to begin with and build up to the harder ones as the season goes on.

4) early season is the best time to start a dog off lamping, september time when the fields have been cut and there are plenty of uneducated young rabbits around which will be more likely to squat down

5) Try to get between where the rabbit is and where its going to run, and over time increase the distance your slipping the dog from to intercept it. For example, you would start off by walking out to the rabbit and slipping the dog as soon as it rises. Once its had a few runs and catches like this, start slipping the dog a few feet off, and then further and further until you get to the stage where you just spot the rabbit in your beam and then send the dog and he knows to go down the beam until he gets to the bunny and either take it from its seat or nose it up and chase it.

I cant think of any more offhand but theres loads of little tips like that which everyone has, I never learned mine from books, or watching others I just went out and did it and we never had the internet so you couldnt ask, never did me any harm to learn from trial and error so I would say get out there and do a bit and then once you have your dog to a reasonable standard, then go out with someone else and pick up extra tips from them or ask anything your not sure about, and fine tune your technique.

Ive seen people do things which I wouldnt do when out lamping, for instance some folk stand stock still rooted to the spot and lamp the quarry without moving, say you went out with someone who did that, you might think thats the way your supposed to do it. I prefer to move around with the dog, aiding it as best I can, if that means running then I run, or if the rabbits coming running towards me I use my body and the lamp to goalkeeper it away from its course and back towards the dog. Some people see lamping as the dog being some kind of tool and its entirely up to the dog to make the catch, I see it as a partnership and team work, I enjoy helping my dogs out as much as I can to increase the bag. Ive also seen guys who turn the beam off and then slip the dog and turn it back on as the dog nears its quarry. I have enjoyed watching this as it seems to work for them, but its not the way I would do things, I prefer it to be light on, dog goes down the beam, makes a catch or misses and the light goes out and the dog comes back. But like I say everybody does things their own ways.

We have some good weather for it right now so get out there and Happy Lamping :clapper: