Do i really need a ferret finder???

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...
Hi chaps, i have to admit as Tiercel and Matty know i a fan of the spade and locater, have fieldcraft and seen the the changes brought about by it! (god now i sound like Ray Mears!). :D

The combo is a good tool, and coupled with a good strong hob on shallow warrens is dynamite! It works for me on a lot of our land, and even with the digs, it's pretty efficient.

Some people cannot work a spade though i must admit, if you don't like digging, then as stated earlier, use a few rules above ground, Keep quiet, keep downwind, keep out of sight as much as possible.

I would stilll never leave the house without a locater though if you have one, it can be done without, but better with the backup.

One last thing Tiercel, some rabbiters try to place a stone or sod over the tube top when backfilling to maintain the burrow, so as not to block it off mate. ;)

I,ve ferreted ,and dug some sets for thirty odd years,when ever we can ,we chuck the top divot into the hole before we backfill ,thats just a habit now,and i dont think it makes any difference,rabbits will dig were they want,and stop where they have to,i cannot see a bit of back filling holding a rabbit up much,as for locaters,both my grandfathers were lifetime ferreters ,[starting in the early 1900s],thought they were brilliant .This thread crops up on here every 3 months or so and what puzzles me ,is ,the people who write about doing it the old fasioned way ,i,e.feeding calling to hand,fieldcraft,and other poppycock ,never mention ,the old fasioned way ,the line ferret,when i see someone reply to this type of thread by saying,i dont use a locater,iuse my liner , i will start to take them seriously.

:thumbs: i was tought to ferret with liners and still to this day use the method on some setts.. i thought this method had been forgotten about.im 29 and never once used a locator

• 1 month later...

A liner is a big nasty ferret that will push any other ferret off it's underground kill. Usually a string is tied to the fezzer with evenly spaced knots to give an estimation of depth and it is only entered when it is believed the fezzer already in has laid up with a kill :thumbs:

I've not ferreted for a while now, but will get back into it very soon.

IMO:

string is a bit of a no no for me, why?. because it can get caught up on roots etc and you'll lose you ferret anyway! probably both.

locators were coming out as i packed up last time. I did buy one. but found that they would get caught up in the net, if the jill popped her head out she would drag the net back in with her.

They may have changed the shape sinse then but that is how they were for me.

when i start doing it again I'll be getting a locator though. I think too much of my animals to risk not getting them back.

olny my opinion!

Nah i dnt use a ferret finder. You dnt need one. Its just a waste of money. Dont get me wrong i have considered it but nah! I pick my times to go ferreting. A ferret will mainly lie up when there is young around in the warren i was luky today. One wee baby rabbit double holed itself and fortunatly the jill never caught it. But in the summer is when i must b more careful with ferrets and baby rabbits, they are one of the main reasons for layin up. Good luck anyway. Remember a good working ferret will always come back up. :D

Poor advice there i'm afraid matey, any number of variables will prevent a ferret returning, i.e tunnel collapse, blocked behind a rabbit, a vertical tunnel section, then there's the possibility of anaphalactic shock from bees, wasps, adders, injury from rabbit or rat. the list is very long, and after working ferrets for a good few years you may well come across one or more of these issues. A finder is the only way of being able to help your ferret. Things evolve for a reason, thanks to innovative technology we don't have to rely on the old adage of 'it'll come out eventually'. As i said, this is not always the case. Please see sense and use the tools available, even if it means you have to wait some months until you have the funds.

All the best in your hunting.

I've not ferreted for a while now, but will get back into it very soon.

IMO:

string is a bit of a no no for me, why?. because it can get caught up on roots etc and you'll lose you ferret anyway! probably both.

locators were coming out as i packed up last time. I did buy one. but found that they would get caught up in the net, if the jill popped her head out she would drag the net back in with her.

They may have changed the shape sinse then but that is how they were for me.

when i start doing it again I'll be getting a locator though. I think too much of my animals to risk not getting them back.

olny my opinion!

Spot On :notworthy: :notworthy:

Should not be ferreting without one!!!

rubbish.thats the prob far to many people shit scared of sticking a fert down a hole without a collar.can have a great day ferreting without a locator.dont bang about on top of the warren,be quiet no smoking around warren and you should be fine lad.i bought one after joining this site and got shot of the f*****g thing a cpl month later.worked ferts for years and never lost one yet.had to go back next day after blocking the holes up a cpl times,but that was on a very rare occasion.

just keep a line hob and he will soon move laid up jills.

Edited by scothunter

rubbish.thats the prob far to many people shit scared of sticking a fert down a hole without a collar.can have a great day ferreting without a locator.dont bang about on top of the warren,be quiet no smoking around warren and you should be fine lad.i bought one after joining this site and got shot of the f*****g thing a cpl month later.worked ferts for years and never lost one yet.had to go back next day after blocking the holes up a cpl times,but that was on a very rare occasion.

That's a shite piece of advice to give a newcommer, do you even know the true use of a Liner Ferret? and to advise a youngster to get one to move on jills is just ridiculous :censored: Why don't you tell him how to then get the hob back after it eats his fill then goes to sleep for three hours. Poor advise, really.

That's a shite piece of advice to give a newcommer, do you even know the true use of a Liner Ferret? and to advise a youngster to get one to move on jills is just ridiculous :censored: Why don't you tell him how to then get the hob back after it eats his fill then goes to sleep for three hours. Poor advise, really.

thats your opinion mate,the lad asked if he can go ferreting without a locator the answer is yes you can.never lost a fert yet and have been doing it 20 odd year.you can keep your noisy beeping locators.not saying they are useless but certainly not for me.

Edited by scothunter
  • 2 weeks later...