Taking fox

Right I had a dog pre-ban :whistling: and when he was 14 months I entered him doubled up to foxes. The first fox he coursed he was first to take hold and started to rag the fox but on the other dog jumping in he let go and jus wandered back to me. I thought nothing of it and put it down to inexperience. He never got bit.

Upon leaving it a month and then trying him again he took hold first once again and the fox grabbed him straight on the snout. The dog wouldn't let go but on the other dog taking hold to help he let go once again and just wandered back.

Once we had removed the other dog and shook the carcass to egg my dog on he took hold and shook it sick for a few seconds but realizing it was dead just released it.

I find it strange that he won't keep hold of the fox when another dog is present. What would you guys have suggested if you were in my shoes "back then" :whistling: as I think he is to young to try on his own.

Cheers

Picture of dog at 13 months

post-3764-1234860209.jpg

Edited by cymruguy69

Guest miller1989

If he/she was taking a good hold and trying to rag then he was likelys ready to do it himself!

Not always a good idea to run doubled up at first we done it with to pups doubled up at about 17-18months my dog pulled it and his got the back end and mr fox was straight on my dogs nose,wouldnt let go for a good minute i was worrying didnt want to ruein her but it didnt help haveing a stronger dog ragging the back end pushing the fox harder,i egged my bitch on she forced in and fox unlocked,turned and grabbed a mate dog,hard to get in amoungst it when the flying about so fast,pinned fox dispatched and they ragged the fox showing promise!

All worked well after that!

Run the dog on his own it's as simple as that. Some dogs just don't like sharing their catch. Some growl and become aggressive, and some just walk off. No problem there at all that I can see.

My personal opinion is that a single dog without another dog in the way will always kill a fox quicker in any case.

As for him not being interested in dead foxes or whatever, that's completely normal and shows he's got a brain if nothing else.

Just run the dog on his own................ SIMPLE ! :thumbs:

Edited by Brummy
Run the dog on his own it's as simple as that. Some dogs just don't like sharing their catch. Some growl and become aggressive, and some just walk off. No problem there at all that I can see.

My personal opinion is that a single dog without another dog in the way will always kill a fox quicker in any case.

As for him not being interested in dead foxes or whatever, that's completely normal and shows he's got a brain if nothing else.

Sounds good to me. Should I wait until next season or try and get him out before the end of the season? I was thinking of getting on the cubs in August. He'l be 19 months then. What you reckon?

I've not got a Lurcher of my own, but I go out Lamping with friends quite regularly for someone who hasn't got a Lurcher, and from what I've seen I agree with what you're saying 100% Brummy.

Back in the day pre ban :) when you had dogs doubled up it seemed to me it took longer for them to dispatch of it because they ended up playing tug of war with it, instead of just getting the job done. I also agree with what you're saying about the dog walking away from the dead quarry as well, thats a good thing IMO.

At 14 month old the dog is still a youngster, and I reckon he's walking away when the other dog grabs it because the other dog is the more dominant one and thats why he's backing off when the other dog grips the quarry up.

Run the dog on his own I reckon, he might not even need the back up, its up to you though.

Best of luck with him.

my dog is like that on the lamp with a mates fdog, but him and skip do not get along always getting into brawls, he'd rather fight skip than fetch me my rabbit, on fox he's great and is more than happy to share his kill or catch :) him and sasha (pittyXgrey) are the best team. she takes the frount he handels the back :)

I agree with alot of what these lads are saying iv worked alot of lurchers to fox and alot of the time it might be that the dog is still to you young to start and on the other hand it cud be that your dog is still wiery of your mates dog which isnt that uncommon id keep him on the bunnies for abit then try him next season all the best mate he looks a crackin dog :thumbs: