Lure coursing machine

bored on the internet so was looking for some useful things i could make a s project and i thought about a lure coursing machine and thought it would be benaficial for me and my dog. So i was wondering if anyone on her ever made one ? or knows somewhere i can get instructions to make one. I had a little look myself cant really find anything but i know you need a motor whick will pull the lure about 30 - 40 mph but that can easily be changed by the size of the wheel. the tricky part is where do i get a starter motor from for cheap good enough for this ? can anyone help ? Adam

You can find them on ebay, but try your local scrap yards/ car brokers first.

Just asked my dad because hes made a few. He said that the best lures are from non pre engaged starter motors. We used mini metros, early land rovers are ideal.

I will post a picture for you tomorrow so you can see what you think, also try and dig some instructions out from another site.

You can find them on ebay, but try your local scrap yards/ car brokers first.

Just asked my dad because hes made a few. He said that the best lures are from non pre engaged starter motors. We used mini metros, early land rovers are ideal.

I will post a picture for you tomorrow so you can see what you think, also try and dig some instructions out from another site.

• 1 month later...

I've made up something simular, but unsure of the electrics part, have it running ok, just too fast, and was

wondering what people do electric wise ?

I just basically have an on, off switch, but suspect theres something more to it all ?

How much too fast do you think it is running??

Could it be reduced with a chain drive or belt drive with a larger pully on the Driven pulley and a smaller puller on the drve side. The ratio in circumfrence will reduce the speed accordingly.

If you knew the current rating of the starter motor, you could find a variable resistor to reduce the voltage slightly. But it would be something bloody big and industrial to do the job...but it is possible :D

cheers mate, I think I've sussed it, and it was pretty obvious lol.

Basically the reel core diameter was about 8" so to run twice as slow, it needs to be about 4"

So i just need to attach a strimmer cable drum i have.

Doh!

I've made up something simular, but unsure of the electrics part, have it running ok, just too fast, and was

wondering what people do electric wise ?

I just basically have an on, off switch, but suspect theres something more to it all ?

Apparently on some starter motors you can only have the on/off, on the lures we use, theres a relay/?solinoide? switch which works when being pushed. Abit like a larger version of cigrette lighter.

ATB

Tom

take the tyre off the rim of a car and jack it up!

wrap around your cord and you have 5 gears and reverse aswell as varible speed!

OR

be normal like me and cut the side out off a washing machine(not mammys) and wrap around your rope and Bang bobs your uncle!

hope this helps! :icon_redface:

we did that the oter day works a treat great craic