bedlington x whippet training

i got a bedlington x whippet puppy to work as a rabbiting dog the mother is a pure bedlington which had been worked on foxes only and the whippet had been worked on rabbits and hares pre ban. the pup is 16 weeks it has sooty sam lines in its blood i was wondering if anybody has tips in training it

thanks for reading :thumbs:

In my opinion bedlington cross lurchers can be stubborn, don't give me grief bedlington owners as i love them but all terriers can be stubborn at times, so never give up with it. Their will be times when you wish you had getting a different cross. But with good working parents it shouldn't be too hard to train. You should keep it's training sessions short, 2 or 3 retrieves to start with, same for sit, stay and recall but always give it plenty of praise and it should come good in the end

i agree with smiles40,put the manners on it from an early age,they can be lil ba$*ards when they want and/or if you allow them(especially half crosses)...its in there blood,they got real character.but once they get the jist of wrong and right,there usaly loyal for life.............also if this helps a good fun game for a pup is to introduce it to a rabbit skin get it feelin the fur in its mouth,then (out of site of the pup) hide the skin somewhere in your house or garden and ask it to find it!its good exercise for the nose & will benefit later when working in the field.try not to over do it once or twice a day is ample,like bearanator says the terrier in them can cause them to lose intrest.good luck and would like to know how it progresses.

i have 2 beddy whippets (1/4 beddy)18 wks old now.apart from there play fighting getting a bit out of hand now and again.they are doing very well and im well chuft with there progress up to now...!they are learning the knack of marking very quickly :)

i got a bedlington x whippet puppy to work as a rabbiting dog the mother is a pure bedlington which had been worked on foxes only and the whippet had been worked on rabbits and hares pre ban. the pup is 16 weeks it has sooty sam lines in its blood i was wondering if anybody has tips in training it

I have got a Beddie/ whippet 1st cross, i know nothing about his parents or if they were workers, i got him as a pet 1st and if he catches........great.

what i am finding is, he is a VERY quick learner, had the hang of sit within minutes, now his balls are starting to drop he is showing a stubborn side every now and then, sometimes i can give him a command and he will either just ignore me completly or he just refuses to do it so i have to perservere untill i win :angry:

Having had collie Xs before he seems a little dim compared to them but his great personality and his character ride him through any dimness :yes: I am hoping that if he watches other lurchers work he will get the idea that certain things warrant chasing!!

Good luck with your pup, i hope he serves you well :thumbs:

I have got a Beddie/ whippet 1st cross, i know nothing about his parents or if they were workers, i got him as a pet 1st and if he catches........great.

what i am finding is, he is a VERY quick learner, had the hang of sit within minutes, now his balls are starting to drop he is showing a stubborn side every now and then, sometimes i can give him a command and he will either just ignore me completly or he just refuses to do it so i have to perservere untill i win :angry:

Having had collie Xs before he seems a little dim compared to them but his great personality and his character ride him through any dimness :yes: I am hoping that if he watches other lurchers work he will get the idea that certain things warrant chasing!!

Good luck with your pup, i hope he serves you well :thumbs:

thanks hollie