smithfield lurchers

nearest breed to a smithfield collie is a catalan sheep dog,there,s a few workers left in spain. these are droving sheep dogs that carefully drive sheep across mountain ranges to new pastures, not rounding them up.they are the spitting image of the the old smithfield prints and work the same way and very clever. my own belief is that they are of the same breed taken across the channel driving sheep to feed wellingtons army fighting nepolians army.the dogs where then traded with local farmers.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I agree that drovers would have moved around the country all over, especially down to Smithfield in London as it was a bit market. However lots were local folk, who would work particular droves or run

somebody give him Jeff Burrell's number....he breeds smithfields talk to him

I am not keen on Moderation,...I've never done what convention dictated I do,...and that is how I still run, what is left of my life...in short, I am a great believer in letting folk do what they want

Posted Images

does anybody on here run smithfields and whats your views on this breed
i run smithfields and not had no probs :drink: and getting to ask people on hear is like :wallbash:

al soon av 1 art a cruz nd zef. zef the rapest they should b good pups

whos zef mate ?

• 12 years later...
14 hours ago, Sas said:

Does anyone have a proven Smithfield type for stud? I am pondering as to a deerhound or Smithfield type to put over my bitch 

somebody give him Jeff Burrell's number....he breeds smithfields talk to him

• Haha 8
14 hours ago, Sas said:

Does anyone have a proven Smithfield type for stud? I am pondering as to a deerhound or Smithfield type to put over my bitch 

Think the closest you get to a smithfield today is a beardy lurcher type or you could ask Jeff b who breeds so called smithfields ,lots of folk take the piss out of Jeff but he as kept this line for 50 year at least and they do breed true to type ,he trys telling  folk he can trace his dogs hundreds of yrs but he as no need to do that .

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Moocher71 said:

Think the closest you get to a smithfield today is a beardy lurcher type or you could ask Jeff b who breeds so called smithfields ,lots of folk take the piss out of Jeff but he as kept this line for 50 year at least and they do breed true to type ,he trys telling  folk he can trace his dogs hundreds of yrs but he as no need to do that .

800 years 

13 minutes ago, Black neck said:

800 years 

I don't no why he as to say hundreds of yrs when he can say he's kept this line for at least fifty and I dont no many others who can say they been breeding same line of lurcher for 50 year do you?