• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with a previous post you are looking for an arguement or you are an anti looking for info to throw back in the face of genuine lads on this site! Either way you should think about putting your brain in gear before starting your mouth!!!!!!

farmers and gamekeppers do not snare or shoot foxes.

Mate i think youl find that Gamekeepers will snare,trap and shoot foxes as much as they can !

I live on a farm and my dads a farmer we set out plenty of rabbit and fox snares catch a lot aswell :yahoo:

I dont think this kid has a fecking clue abought anything

And i read the bit abougt a 9ft fence with a 1 ft overhand You Said it cost £40 Ar you sure it wasnt £40 a meter

Edited by hiho

Your post, "Why would a fox kill for no reason" proved to me that this thread and your posts are just there to cause annoyance.

Every poster in this thread has asked you to consider your replies before you post, whilst conducting proper research. Yet you continue to ask questions which have clearly seen no effort on your part to try and find the answer.

If you asked the question in the proper way, instead of telling us why we shouldn't be shooting foxes, we would have been more receptive and willing to help someone less experienced.

That is why the forum is here in reality, at least one of its main functions, is to help. But taking the credibility away from members who have genuine answers to your questions and reasons to control foxes, is not going to get you anywhere.

Regards.

why do pepole shoot foxes? my chicken fence is 9ft and i have never had a fox attack for . i know that foxes are around as i see fox tracks ciculing the chicken fence. game birds and poultry can be easily protected by ading a few more feet to your fence. foxes are native to our country unlike rabbits or squirrels witch i hunt reguarly with air rifles. farmers and gamekeppers do not snare or shoot foxes. simply add a few more feet to your fence and an overhang.

pigeon plucker

I have just read the post is this guy for real :wallbash:

look guys this guy must be trying to wind us all up. ive read all these posts and i cant belive the bulls*"t that he comes out with. he obviously aint got a clue about foxes and the damage they cause. maybe he should stand in a room with about 50 gamekeepers and give a speech about why we should not kill foxes. i reckon he would last 2 minutes. this post should not even bin allowed on here. stick to your air rifle SON. and leave us big boys to worry about charlie.

CANT WAIT TO READ LOADS MORE POSTS ABOUT SHOOTING FOXES. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK LADS.

SNIPER 1 SIGHNING OUT. :bye:

Edited by sniper 1

Don't make the mistake of humanising a fox's decisions. No one who has any experience with foxes could seriously argue they don't kill more than they need to survive, but to suggest they kill simply for fun or evil isn't correct either.

Foxes lack a moral code, which is a necessary prerequisite for choosing to behave in a manner that could be called wrong. Foxes simply do what they do without ill will or premeditation and thus cannot be condemed for their actions which sometimes don't agree with our sanitised ideals.

However, as someone has already pointed out, the countryside is man made and we must control nature to keep OUR desired balance.

I shoot foxes because I keep chickens and occasionally they out smart my defenses (I forget to bring them in :( )

Chaps, as you will have seen the pigeon plucker is only 13 and as he sees it there is no reason to hunt foxes. Fine. You are lucky, I'm a bit like that, never had to shoot a fox and the farmers who own the ground where I shoot have more problems with rabbits that foxes, so they have asked me to leave them.

Pigeon Plucker, foxes, like squirrels cache food when food is plentiful for when times are rough. That means that when they come across several new born lambs or an easily accesible pheasant pen or during wild bird nesting season (waders/gamebirds/hen harriers i.e. ground nesters), they kill and take more than they would eat.

In a pheasant/chicken pen situation this means they get into the pen, kill everything, take what they can carry and then come back again. Problem is by then the farmer/keeper has turned up and they cant come back. But it was caught on camera and was on TV, Attenborough narrated it I think. Try YouTube?

There is an argument for not killing all foxes, on the long term they are mostly territorial and it is possible to change the behaviour of local foxes from taking lambs and young pheasants or chickens and only shoot non-territorial foxes passing through. Difficult but possible.

The problem is that it only takes one fox to change its' behaviour to cause a £1000 worth of damage!

An alternative way to deal with the "potential" damage is to kill any foxes on your land at particular times of the year, and have marginal control when it is less important. This is what most land managers do.

The last point is about balance. By introducing Rabbits to the UK (and most of Europe) from Spain, the romans have done the rest of the fauna a great dis-service. Rabbit populations allow fox populations to increase, all else being equal. When foxes should decline during hard winters or when rodent populations crash (every 5 -11 years) the fox populations should crash. But as Rabbit populations only have a 3 year cycle, if a cycle exists, the foxes dont decrease in number when the rodents crash, they can switch to a plentiful supply of rabbit. Combine this with 50 million gamebirds released in the UK every year and you have a lot of reasons why Humans have screwed up the balance of fox population dynamics. Concentrate gamebirds or poultry in high densities each spring and guess what, the foxes sniff them out! Fences cant work with game birds as you have to release them into the wild when they stay concentrated right through the summer.

Interstingly, despite all the fox control there is no evidence that the population is in any form of decline (they can take the hunting pressure, its sustainable).

I hope this helps you to understand why sometimes, fox control is either necessary or easier, when it comes to protecting Human interests, whether that be financial or sporting(fun) or both.

As for the chaps who actually sent you threats, dont worry about them, hopefully they will now send you new messages to apologise now they realise you are only 13 and your views, like everyone else's, are a consequence of your personal experience. Which is valid and welcome!

Best wishes

Tom

Guest miller1989
Chaps, as you will have seen the pigeon plucker is only 13 and as he sees it there is no reason to hunt foxes. Fine. You are lucky, I'm a bit like that, never had to shoot a fox and the farmers who own the ground where I shoot have more problems with rabbits that foxes, so they have asked me to leave them.

Pigeon Plucker, foxes, like squirrels cache food when food is plentiful for when times are rough. That means that when they come across several new born lambs or an easily accesible pheasant pen or during wild bird nesting season (waders/gamebirds/hen harriers i.e. ground nesters), they kill and take more than they would eat.

In a pheasant/chicken pen situation this means they get into the pen, kill everything, take what they can carry and then come back again. Problem is by then the farmer/keeper has turned up and they cant come back. But it was caught on camera and was on TV, Attenborough narrated it I think. Try YouTube?

There is an argument for not killing all foxes, on the long term they are mostly territorial and it is possible to change the behaviour of local foxes from taking lambs and young pheasants or chickens and only shoot non-territorial foxes passing through. Difficult but possible.

The problem is that it only takes one fox to change its' behaviour to cause a £1000 worth of damage!

An alternative way to deal with the "potential" damage is to kill any foxes on your land at particular times of the year, and have marginal control when it is less important. This is what most land managers do.

The last point is about balance. By introducing Rabbits to the UK (and most of Europe) from Spain, the romans have done the rest of the fauna a great dis-service. Rabbit populations allow fox populations to increase, all else being equal. When foxes should decline during hard winters or when rodent populations crash (every 5 -11 years) the fox populations should crash. But as Rabbit populations only have a 3 year cycle, if a cycle exists, the foxes dont decrease in number when the rodents crash, they can switch to a plentiful supply of rabbit. Combine this with 50 million gamebirds released in the UK every year and you have a lot of reasons why Humans have screwed up the balance of fox population dynamics. Concentrate gamebirds or poultry in high densities each spring and guess what, the foxes sniff them out! Fences cant work with game birds as you have to release them into the wild when they stay concentrated right through the summer.

Interstingly, despite all the fox control there is no evidence that the population is in any form of decline (they can take the hunting pressure, its sustainable).

I hope this helps you to understand why sometimes, fox control is either necessary or easier, when it comes to protecting Human interests, whether that be financial or sporting(fun) or both.

As for the chaps who actually sent you threats, dont worry about them, hopefully they will now send you new messages to apologise now they realise you are only 13 and your views, like everyone else's, are a consequence of your personal experience. Which is valid and welcome!

Best wishes

Tom

Thats one of the best replies ive heard on this site give yourself a pat on the back :clapper: