Long Range Shooting

I think you might want to have a think about exactly what you want out of this rifle. You said originally targets and small ground game.

Are you thinking of shooting rabbits at a thousand yards? Hell of a shot to do it, and not worth spending money over.

if you're thinking 500 yards for the small furry ones, then your 22-250 will do that anyway, the Yanks do it all the time.

In terms of deer, you need to get in relatively close, as it's the Done Thing. Also, tbh, not really fair on a deer to be used as target practice - bunnies are OK, you either hit them or you miss them, with the big CFs.

Which basically leaves the paper trail. Now, in terms of heavy barrel 243s, well, some exist. Remington SPS Varmint - out of the box likely to be .75MOA, new stock improves that I should think. If you're shooting half-ish MOA to 800 yards, you're doing pretty well, and for the money it's going to be a good introduction. Get a good scope, then keep that when you upgrade rifle.

If it's JUST targets, then something like a 300 Win Mag would do nicely, or dare I say it a 308. They're not the best for the long range target stuff, but they're cheap, ammo is plentiful and they do work. So you end up pushing the boundaries of both guns, should be fun, surely?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tend to agree with Mr L above..the 22-250 is very capable to 600 yards with the right ammo and shooter!

Obviously has deer issues but I understand the Shetlands is short of deer!

.308 hits a lot harder but is not necessarily a longer range tool, the 300 Win Mag is longer range whilst at the same time hitting pretty hard..but it ain't cheap!

The usual issue is,.. what do I want to do and how much am I prepared to pay to do it!! :hmm::hmm::thumbs:

Snapshot is spot on regarding effects of wind at distance, believe it or not 4-600yrds is considered mid range when target shooting,but shooting paper doesn't leave wounded animals, although my preference would still be 6Br for this distance(limited factory ammo is available) .243 Win is an excellent calibre and varying components are easily purchased.

Edited by provarmint

i am not planning on any 1000 yard rabbit or deer shots jsut targets out to that distance and yes deker there is a severe shortage of deers in shetland so a trip out of the island will be in order for the deer stalking part. it seems everyone is stuck on the .243 idea, i should of stayed quiet then i wouldnt have this problem haha.

liam

i am not planning on any 1000 yard rabbit or deer shots jsut targets out to that distance and yes deker there is a severe shortage of deers in shetland so a trip out of the island will be in order for the deer stalking part. it seems everyone is stuck on the .243 idea, i should of stayed quiet then i wouldnt have this problem haha.

liam

I agree with you on the .243 situation BUT; and there is a BIG BUT....243 is gentle on the shoulder, fast, powerful, it will stop any deer easily at long range if you can shoot, it's legal, relatively lots of choice, relatively cheap, accurate...so it become a popular deer round ....and a lot use it for fox too!! :thumbs:

I also seem to recall a .243 won the world 1000 yard target in 2007 or 2008, says a lot all round for the calibre!!!

the 6mm remington is a better cartridge than the .243win just no where near as popular.

atb karl

Chap..it is a matter of definition what is best, an ATOM Bomb is pretty effective, as is a .5 Barrett, lots of things add up to what is the best calibre for any given quarry, and I make no suggestion the .243 is the BEST Deer/long range round, it simply ticks a lot of boxes!! :thumbs:

well they are the same size calibre (6mm) but the 6mm remington has a slightly larger case capacity and a longer neck which makes it better for reloading. so in my book that makes it the better of these two 6mm calibres.

Edited by karlp86

There are better 6mm calibres than the 243 for long range target, but none which offer the same availability of good quality factory rifles, and also have a decent choice of factory ammo if required.

The 243 is a great all-rounder, because it's actually pretty good at all the bases it covers.

dont get me wrong, i'm not discrediting the .243 at all. i think it is a fantastic all rounder. it's hugh popularity throughout the world is testiment to that fact. i just thought lgray88 was looking for something it little diffferent to the mainstream so i suggested the 6mm remington.

out of interest would a .270 be a good 1000yrd calibre? dont hear of many f-class shooters using it.

atb karl

i dont understand , could you enlighten me ?

Thats the safest way to use a .50BMG, Light the Blue touch paper and retire" :D

There was a cracking clip on youtube a while back. 2 guys, 1 shooting a .50 cal at a target in a quarry, the other is set well back from him on the camera.

Right handed he takes a shot, the lead comes straight back at him and takes off the lefthand earpiece of his shooting defenders, which flew straight at the camera man.

Never scratched either but they didn't try it again

dont get me wrong, i'm not discrediting the .243 at all. i think it is a fantastic all rounder. it's hugh popularity throughout the world is testiment to that fact. i just thought lgray88 was looking for something it little diffferent to the mainstream so i suggested the 6mm remington.

out of interest would a .270 be a good 1000yrd calibre? dont hear of many f-class shooters using it.

atb karl

I wouldn't necessarily say so. Yes it's got plenty of punch, but doesn't have the speed compared to .243.

I'd say the .270 is more a dedicated hunting calibre, when you need energy as opposed to outright range.