Long Range Shooting

i would love too get in shooting at extended ranges , targets and small ground game but would also like something for deer stalking in the future. i have a .22-250 at the moment which i wish too keep for work purposes. i dont know which caliber too choose for this type of shooting i do like my flat shooting of the .22-250 maybe its becasue im a lazy bugger, so i would like something that could be ballistically similar too the what i already have. what setup do you reckomend factory rifle or a custom job what type of glass? im limited too around £2k so i cant spend too much on the glass if im too add all the peripherals i want.

liam

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm just getting geared up for the longer range stuff, and the rifle is getting, a new stock, pillar bedding, new barrel, trigger worked on,

i'm shooting a .243, one thing you WILL need is good glass so don't skimp on it,

i've got my wind meter in the post today and my pda sohuld not be far away either to run exbal on.

you can achieve great results with tweeking homeloads, and good glass, check out long range shooting on you tube with a .223 at 860 yards.

nice to reach out there and touch something, but i've been shooting years, remember small mistakes at close range are big mistakes at 800 yards,

what range can you accurately place rounds now, then move it out a little get to know what your bullet does shift the range again,

thats the way i done it...

good luck.

I'm thinking a .243 with a light bullet myself. Couple that with reloading, even with a factory barrel, it should be capable of long range shooting.

light just won't cut the mustard mate, velocity, and BC hence the 87 grain v-max then you got a long range bullet, or the 105 A-max

should be a fun summer for me :D

i was hopeing too try somethin abit more exotic than .243 i mean if i got a .243 i may aswell sell the .22-250 or get it rebarlled in .243 and i do like too have more guns. i dont think i can afford anything huge on the scope side of things i was thinking a leupold , what sort of magnification do you need too reach out too these distances ?

liam

87 is still fairly light in scheme of things :D

I must admit I was thinking lighter but I was hung up on the flatness of the Trajectory :blink:

I plan to be doing a lot more shooting with the .222 this summer due to testing some new loads worked up for it, wonder where I got the information from :whistling:

i was hopeing too try somethin abit more exotic than .243 i mean if i got a .243 i may aswell sell the .22-250 or get it rebarlled in .243 and i do like too have more guns. i dont think i can afford anything huge on the scope side of things i was thinking a leupold , what sort of magnification do you need too reach out too these distances ?

liam

liam

You need as much Magnification as you can get if you plan to go really long range, stands to reason really. What sort of ranges are thinking? What do you consider long range?

i would like too do up 1000m in time obviously, i was under the impression that some of theses professinal snipers where only useing 10 power scopes , i was looking at the leupold range it seems in my price bracket and they seem too have some large power scopes

liam

i would like too do up 1000m in time obviously, i was under the impression that some of theses professinal snipers where only useing 10 power scopes , i was looking at the leupold range it seems in my price bracket and they seem too have some large power scopes

liam

I'm just trying to imagine the shake on any scope, let alone one over 10x @ 1000yds :icon_redface: In my hands anyway.

liam

They are also shooting at something 6ft high by 2ft wide :laugh:

If you want to be shooting Rabbits 1ft long by 4in high then you're going to be needing a bit more :laugh:

Leupold are good scopes. Buy as best as you can. The VX-III range are Long Range I believe. May be a place to start.

its great fun. ive fired at 600m with a .308 target rifle, no bipod, no scope, just iron sights. great fun and even better when it starts coming together. i was having a look around my permission today to find some spots with some relatively long range shooting. there are some great hills where i can do some target shooting up to about 700m once i get my variation back. best of luck to you mate