tale's of the gypsy/poacher

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I guess some people might find this spooky but it's not to me  When was a kid a childhood friend who started me in Hunting ,fishing died while out with his dog. not going to say how he died

i met my grandfather earlier very much a country man a true romany this thread isnt to start an argument its for who are interested in old storys and old ways i showed him my dogs he said i like the

most of the tales i get told are of the marsh(romney marsh)years ago when my old man was a boy,listening to him remember those days you can see the excitement in his eyes,tales of hares that never got

a could listen to the tales of men that have been on the road all there lives all day when you listen to these men it brings home just how much you do know about dogs and poaching /coursing and just living off the land . i have spent many a time round a camp fire on different horse fairs around the uk listening to these stories

:clapper::clapper:

the story about the dog forund at the site of the road made me :cry::cry:

digzy ,im a 42 year old man and [bANNED TEXT] ma olders r about around a camp fire l sit n listing to all the old storys,iv been to many a fair and many a fires lol l sit all night n listing ,but l think bigdan as said it all not just is familys background,it goes for every gypsy family background wott there fathers and grandfathers did just to feed us,but u got admit fellas its the way they tell,em lol l love a good fire ,but todays genaration gone mad lol they go n raid a cash point with a jcb ,just to get to the curry shop pmsl,its like l said we havent read no books its in a gypsymans blood and always will be ,good thread dan

Martini you will find the lads who did all the cash points from around the country with the jcb were not gypsys ;)

they were travlers alright i know there relations they must have forgot there bank card bless um

a could listen to the tales of men that have been on the road all there lives all day when you listen to these men it brings home just how much you do know about dogs and poaching /coursing and just living off the land . i have spent many a time round a camp fire on different horse fairs around the uk listening to these stories

digzy ,im a 42 year old man and [bANNED TEXT] ma olders r about around a camp fire l sit n listing to all the old storys,iv been to many a fair and many a fires lol l sit all night n listing ,but l think bigdan as said it all not just is familys background,it goes for every gypsy family background wott there fathers and grandfathers did just to feed us,but u got admit fellas its the way they tell,em lol l love a good fire ,but todays genaration gone mad lol they go n raid a cash point with a jcb ,just to get to the curry shop pmsl,its like l said we havent read no books its in a gypsymans blood and always will be ,good thread dan

Martini you will find the lads who did all the cash points from around the country with the jcb were not gypsys ;)

they were travlers alright i know there relations they must have forgot there bank card bless um

nice thread" dan!! lovely idear....? it would be nice to here somemore stories"and i think people should start there own thread..? if thay want to talk about something else..? :(
Guest mickyrichardson

like i said earlier in the thead bigdan there was two different jobs ;)

lol yes l no

they were travellers they were the johnston family

2 different jobs we on about then mate i wont say names as its not the right thing to do on a forum

you are probably correct should not put any names up on a forum. The family i was talking about were a travelling family they were stealing jcb of local workmens sites then going up to a auto bank and digging it out the wall lol then stealing it . They got a few banks and the poliece couldnt convict them of it for years then they got all 7 of them red handed and they are now behind bars

woo wooo wooooooo plz lets get back to the old storys then ,but a few off my cousins r also behind bars for the same thing

my wife s sister type in the post code on her birth certifacate into the sat nav ,were she was born in kent on a hop farm ,in a waggon ,and the farmer is still alive and can remember her being born ,she was there alday chatting to him ,she is 46 now

Edited by martini

not a gypsy well not for two generaitions or more ,but ill tel a tale or two during the strike of 85, as i was brought up in the miners strike, we used to go along the main a1 railway they had concrete boxes for cable troughs, we used to go along block one end send a big dog ferret in some nites at the block iend we caught several sold them to the greyhound men 2 pound a rabb , other things like netting estuaries at nite with dinghy and net still do and catching the old salmos or folding four ten with silencer and airsporter rifle or webley getting the phesis in 85 theybwere 5 pound a brace or setting snares for game and running woods pushing beasties in an snareing them ,good clean kills ,or coursing were ever , things have never changed much just the laws have etc cheers

• Like 2
Guest davethehunter
most of the tales i get told are of the marsh(romney marsh)years ago when my old man was a boy,listening to him remember those days you can see the excitement in his eyes,tales of hares that never got caught for season after season, lung busting courses,and bets that turned into fist fights and ended with everyone in the boozer.my favourite is of one of his old dogs,sam,unknown breeding and was found on the side of the road.my dad always says that everytime he ran it was like he put in the extra effort as if he were repaying him in some way,one morning on the marsh he was even with another bloke 3 apiece with 100 quid on the line,the outhe bloke says one more slip each should do it your old dogs had it,sam being a fair age by now was looking a bit worse for ware.up gets a hare the bloke slips his dog twistin n turnin old long ears straight lines him and is gone.the old man looks at sam and feels the last of his money in his pocket,long time til we get paid sam my boy he says make this run your best,hare up sams slipped up n down they go hare straight lines him but old sam finds another gear and pulls straight to him picks him up and fetches him to the old mans feet,the old man turns to the bloke who gives up the cash,but when the old man turns round old sam has laid down closed his eyes and slipped away.never had another like him he says.

sounds like ur old man loved that dog and it loved him

• 8 years later...

When I was a teenager my mate kept and worked ferrets, it is a warm day, we have a Jill down the warren, nets over the holes, we are on the common, or so we thought. 

Nothing concentrates the mind like hearing the hammers on a shotgun being cocked behind you, we jumped up and there was this old man, pointing a shotgun at us. 

"What the bloody hell are you doing?" he asked.

"Ferreting on the common!" We replied. 

"This is not the bloody common!" He said, "That bloody fence should have been replaced, this is my lower pasture, and there are no bloody rabbits down that warren. Seeing as you are trespassing I am sentencing you to clearing the bloody rabbits out from the warrens that they are in."

So we got the Jill out, cleared up, jumped on the back of the tractor and he took us up deep into his farm and set us to work clearing rabbits. He took a couple for himself and said we could have the rest.So every week for a few months we were back, turn up at the farm, get a lift out to where the rabbits were, clear the warrens, let him have pick of the catch. Then back to the farmhouse for a drink of coffee and back to the village, dropping most of the catch off at the butchers! 

• Like 1