Sporting chance for such an athletic creature!

Hares are 'lagomorphs' and are not rodents or pests...

Shooting Hares is NO NO for me anyway..

No mate they are pests in certain areas, thats a fact. If 1000 hares can be shot in 2 days on one farm then they are sure as hell a pest, if a farmer is making large losses to a large hare population then they either need to 'earn there keep' which used to happen through the money legal coursing meets would generate or be controlled by one means or another, and like it or not when it comes to pest control for hares the hare shoot prove there worth. But your right about them not beeing rodents, rodens only have 2 incisor teath, logamorphs have 4.

I personally feel i respect the hare greatly, but as much as i wish it wasnt the case, in lage numbers on farmland the hare can eat a shite load of crop. People accept the fact that rabbits can be a pest, so why not hares. Just because there may not be many hares round your way doesnt mean there arnt in other areas, have a look around lincs.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have lot's of hares in my area and some of my farms are over run by them i dont shoot them or let clients shoot them as i have always classed them as another man's sport.

These are the finest out there and as all say's only way they should be took is by man and dog.

To be honest nothing better than watching them box each other in a open field

Regards

And this is the reason that i couldn't be bothered coming on to THL for a while because of this nonsense. As it has alredy been said the hare is a pest when it is in these mass numbers and has to be controlled. There is a ban so get over it..................................everything will be banned shortly with the views of some on here :angry:

Your right there lads but unfortunatley its done regular these days due to the ban i went on a spot not so long back that youst to be littered with hares your lucky to see one these days and if i do see one i dont really bother touching them its a crying shame its comre to this in some places :no:

Its a shame that a man with a gun can go out and kill as many hares as he has bullets but a dog cant catch 1 :thumbdown: .... whats more naturalistic?:protest: :thumbdown:

100% correct :thumbs:

Why is it when somebody mentions shooting hares the lurcher lads are up in arms about it.You still get 1 for the pot weather its shot coursed or snared.Why is it most people think the only way to catch a hare is with a dog??

because its fair

Fair, get with the show man. Who cares if it is fair, does that make stalking unfair if they did not see you coming, or fishing unfair if the fish cant tell the fly is an imitation and just fancies it's luck!

Get real. A hare shot is a hare in the pot.

Not that I would, but it could be argued that the stress hormones that go into the meat of a hare that is coursed and caught by a dog make the meat of inferior quality to one that is flushed and shot or stalked.

Just for arguments sake of course!

Can someone clarify the ban on hunting hares with Dogs?

i thought you could send your dog to kill vermin? Are Hares not Vermin in the case or agri pests?

You cant do it without permission or for sport of course.

If it is illegal you chaps should be very careful as the police have powers to sieze the IP address of users "bragging" about illegal activities!

T

Can someone clarify the ban on hunting hares with Dogs?

i thought you could send your dog to kill vermin? Are Hares not Vermin in the case or agri pests?

You cant do it without permission or for sport of course.

If it is illegal you chaps should be very careful as the police have powers to sieze the IP address of users "bragging" about illegal activities!

T

Im in Ireland mate....:yahoo::drink:

Why is it when somebody mentions shooting hares the lurcher lads are up in arms about it.You still get 1 for the pot weather its shot coursed or snared.Why is it most people think the only way to catch a hare is with a dog??

because its fair

Fair, get with the show man. Who cares if it is fair, does that make stalking unfair if they did not see you coming, or fishing unfair if the fish cant tell the fly is an imitation and just fancies it's luck!

Get real. A hare shot is a hare in the pot.

Not that I would, but it could be argued that the stress hormones that go into the meat of a hare that is coursed and caught by a dog make the meat of inferior quality to one that is flushed and shot or stalked.

Just for arguments sake of course!

A hare shot or 1 caught with a dog,tastes the same too me when its curried and cooked in a slow cooker

• 1 month later...
I dont.. But a hare shot is a hare wasted in my opinion :thumbdown:
well your opinion is also mine a waist of a beutiful animal never looking better than when being persuide by an equaly fine looking lurcher.
Hares in some areas are pests FACT

Lurchers would not be a affective way of controling such numbers FACT

Shooting them , like it or lump it is the only effective way FACT

Pointless trying to argue mate. Shooting hares has been going on for as long as guns have been around, they still haven't been wiped out, and there's always plenty left for the dogs. The way some folk go on on here you'd think that shooting hare is a new thing that's going to decimate the population.

• 1 month later...

The only legal ways to kill hares here in Ireland is under liscence as a Beagling club or Coursing club and shooting by shotgun if you have a game liscence. But it's an unwritten law of the land here in Ireland that you don't shoot hares. A big NO NO. To course a Hare with a lurcher is illegal.

The Hare here is regarded as a beast of the chase.

In Britain Hare shooting is as much a tradition as Coursing and Beagling so why try and stop a tradition???

Although they can be a pest in places am I right in saying in England they're also shot to keep lurchermen away?

The only moral question IMO about hare shooting is ,is it right (although perfectly legal) to shoot Hares in the Summer months???

As for the Hare being tasty ? It is, but I wonder how the majority of lurcher men over here know that as most hares are thrown in the ditch or if bothered to be carried is used as dog food.

JMHO.

The only legal ways to kill hares here in Ireland is under liscence as a Beagling club or Coursing club and shooting by shotgun if you have a game liscence. But it's an unwritten law of the land here in Ireland that you don't shoot hares. A big NO NO. To course a Hare with a lurcher is illegal.

The Hare here is regarded as a beast of the chase.

In Britain Hare shooting is as much a tradition as Coursing and Beagling so why try and stop a tradition???

Although they can be a pest in places am I right in saying in England they're also shot to keep lurchermen away?

The only moral question IMO about hare shooting is ,is it right (although perfectly legal) to shoot Hares in the Summer months???

As for the Hare being tasty ? It is, but I wonder how the majority of lurcher men over here know that as most hares are thrown in the ditch or if bothered to be carried is used as dog food.

JMHO.

over in england we dont have game licences any more! :clapper:

the reason hares are shot to keep dog men away is to keep the land quiet so that the game birds wont be ditrurbed and in turn, the game shoots ruined, i think.

hares can legaly be shot in the summer months but cannot be sold, but the can be sold in the game season.

Id like to see more Hares where I am, reading all this about them being as thick as rabbits in some parts..............I know of one Hare on any ground Im allowed on and thats it, my home area used to be plagued, But now its years since I have seen any there