• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There as bad as rabbits some of the places I go, I shoot the odd one with a shotgun, a few with the rifle, if anyone wants them.... other than that I'd prefer watching a good dog on them anyday..

• 3 weeks later...

loads of upland hare shooting, driven as well, in the grampians. They are a different species that the lowland hare but they taste as good and they can run fast when they want to. Plus, in some areas they can get in extremely high densities. I dont support the eradication you get in some places but a cull every now and then helps reduce tick borne diseases....apparently!

SundayBain, sometimes I feel like that about Brown hares, I limit myself to one per season and only when I get the chance, I dont seek them.

Remember again that there are two species of hare and each has strongholds in the UK where harvesting is feasable but yes there are other areas where shooting them risks local extinction. I guess that is why we should never pull the trigger without thinking about these kinds of questions

T

Edited by tom1cameron
SundayBain, sometimes I feel like that about Brown hares, I limit myself to one per season and only when I get the chance, I dont seek them.

Remember again that there are two species of hare and each has strongholds in the UK where harvesting is feasable but yes there are other areas where shooting them risks local extinction. I guess that is why we should never pull the trigger without thinking about these kinds of questions

T

Hare shoot near me last weekend, they shot 80:icon_eek: and this is in north yorks. Saw one of the poor buggars crossing the field trailing a badly shot up leg :no:

• 2 weeks later...

hi

i used to go on the hare shoots round us, I've been on days where we shot 450 hares. there a nightmare in some parts of Lincolnshire, worse than rabbits. but i don't go on the shoots any more because of the unsafe shooting and also people who cant shoot and shoot at them too far away annoys me as they end up wounded and not dead, although if you hit a hare where i used to go you had to follow it until you had got it, then call the tractor to come & pick you up. as i said earlier there are hare shoots in Lincolnshire if you want to go on them.