Base breeds

Hello, from the states again.

More questions about lurchers. I've read about three make that four popular base breeds here on the forum.

No particular order.

1, Border collie

2, Bearded collie

3, Bull dog-english bull terrier?

4, Australian cattle dog. actually from here in the U.S.

For those who are particular. Why do you use the base that you do. I understand or at least think I do. That the base adds nose, brains and atleast some obedience. Along with a sounder structure more bone so to speak. So the dogs hunt for you and are less often injured.

Why no gundog bases? It seems that an english pointer with their excellent nose and stout frame, would add quite a bit. As for smarts, they can atleast learn to stand still. lol

All comments and answers are welcome

Thanks again.

Edited by Mickey Finn

More questions about lurchers. I've read about three make that four popular base breeds here on the forum.

No particular order.

1, Border collie

2, Bearded collie

For those who are particular. Why do you use the base that you do. I understand or at least think I do. That the base adds nose, brains and atleast some obedience. Along with a sounder structure more bone so to speak. So the dogs hunt for you and are less often injured.

Why no gundog bases? It seems that an english pointer with their excellent nose and stout frame, would add quite a bit. As for smarts, they can atleast learn to stand still. lol

Thanks again.

I dont think you could add anything else to what these dogs bring to the mix you forgot to mention saluki x. Collies have excellent noses, brains etc so a gundog wouldn't add anything better. All the above mentioned dogs bring enough to the mix so why bother adding something that aint gonna improve on what you have.

No particular order.

1, Border collie

2, Bearded collie

Thanks again.

I dont think you could add anything else to what these dogs bring to the mix you forgot to mention saluki x. Collies have excellent noses, brains etc so a gundog wouldn't add anything better. All the above mentioned dogs bring enough to the mix so why bother adding something that aint gonna improve on what you have.

fair and good point !!!

There was a cracking video of a GWP X Lurcher in the hunting video section on here a while back, catching rabbits bolted by ferrets. Looked a cracking worker, it didn't miss much on that video. :thumbs:

Quite surprised me to see you put a acd up but having just reared a litter of this cross i'm surprised more haven't been used to produce lurchers,the breed certainly opened my eyes to what they can do and i'll go as far as better than a collie in many ways.I allways thought there would have been more gundog types used as they do have a lot to offer,pointers gwp x does him allright and works well from what i've seen of it on threads.

Quite surprised me to see you put a acd up but having just reared a litter of this cross i'm surprised more haven't been used to produce lurchers,the breed certainly opened my eyes to what they can do and i'll go as far as better than a collie in many ways.I allways thought there would have been more gundog types used as they do have a lot to offer,pointers gwp x does him allright and works well from what i've seen of it on threads.

My point is not that gundogs arn't a good baseline just that they dont add anything to what the more established x's already have.