when to work ferrets?

cheers lads thanks a lot. know of a few sets at the side of some allotments that everybody is complaining about rabbits getting on so i'm off up there friday. gunna leave the dogs behind this time tho as there only pups and seem to be spending more time walking over the nets i have just set than listening and picking up scents. got a plummer x jrt and i take my father in laws bedlington x whippet and my mate comes with his jrt. there all around the 23week mark. will let u know how i get on friday. thanks again for helping me lads. by the way does anybody know of any clubs near me? bin looking on websites and am struggling to find one.

Try your loclal library, for some odd reason clubs like to register with them.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

name='tiercel' date='Jan 28 2009, 09:31 PM' post='882973']

name='The one' post='882888' date='Jan 28 2009, 09:02 PM']Sorry mate you put a extra 0 on your count and thats where im sitting i will agree you dont NEED a locator but im bloody glad of mine as some days it put a quarter to a half of all the rabbits dug out in the bag .

I dont see where my post count comes into it? Surly it should be the content of the post that counts. And as you have agreed with my agument after intial resistance to it. That is what counts not the number of posts.

Im NOT talking about your post count im talking rabbit numbers theres no way i'd go ferreting as much as i do with out a locator but each to there own

i think going ferreting without a locator is bad form imo. ferrets work the burrows for you, its your job to make sure it gets back home ok. if your not prepared to spend the money to safe guard his return dont put it down to work.

Locators are for wimps and people with no field craft. Whoops, and pro rabbiters who do not have the time to wait for the ferrret and one that kills consitently cuts down on the time factor, by having a quick dig, after all that is what they are getting paid for. There my friend is the crux of the matter, pest control persons are paid to get results so they have to get them or go out of buisiness.

When all you hobby ferreters (of which I am one) keep banging on about locators and you cannot leave home without one and a spade. Make me think, god for Feck sake learn some fieldcraft, then you would not need your locators, spades and any other unnesseccery items that you carry. If you learned all there is to learn about your ferrets before you used them. Then learned a bit about the wind and how it affects rabbits, then perhaps maybe pehaps you would become a halfway decent ferreter. When I see posts about those bloody locators and how you cannot ferret without one, one thought comes to my mind that person should not be ferreting, as he knows feck all about ferreting.

I have been ferreting for 45 years and never used one. In that time I have lost one ferret, that fell down a limestone crevis in the Brecon Beacons and even if I could find it it would have taken dynamite to get it out. I will quite happilly enter a single Jill into a 30 hole warren in the knowledge that she will come out even if she kills. It will take a bit of time. 20 to 30 mins on average So what! I am doing it for sport not gain.

Or are all the locator gangs trying to keep up with the numbers got by the pro's. Think about it why are they getting paid to clear a piece of land? Because there are a lot of rabbits there!!! Of course they are going to get more rabbits than you. Anyone who cannot see that needs a kick up the arris.

To Sterry.

Dont let them grind you down mate. You are the true ferreter who has field craft, knows his dog, and can work out which end of the warren to put the ferret in and knows roughly where the rabbits are lying just by looking at your dog. The rest are just sheep who follow the latest trends.

ahh thank god someone else who also thinks there is life beyond locators i have been ferreting 30 years and although i have a locator i very very rarely use it a lot of ferreters put the hob or jill in wait 5 mins then cant wait to start digging holes ?

give the ferrets chance to work the warren out properly and keep the noise and talking down and far more rabbits will bolt on there own without having to dig at all im sure some ferreters just seem to love to use these locators and dig unnessaseraly GOD ONLY KNOWS WHY try giving the ferrets a fair chance to shift them 1st you will be surprised what a bit of patience and keeping the noise down will produce RABBITS NOT WHOPPING GREAT HOLES

i think going ferreting without a locator is bad form imo. ferrets work the burrows for you, its your job to make sure it gets back home ok. if your not prepared to spend the money to safe guard his return dont put it down to work.

Locators are for wimps and people with no field craft. Whoops, and pro rabbiters who do not have the time to wait for the ferrret and one that kills consitently cuts down on the time factor, by having a quick dig, after all that is what they are getting paid for. There my friend is the crux of the matter, pest control persons are paid to get results so they have to get them or go out of buisiness.

When all you hobby ferreters (of which I am one) keep banging on about locators and you cannot leave home without one and a spade. Make me think, god for Feck sake learn some fieldcraft, then you would not need your locators, spades and any other unnesseccery items that you carry. If you learned all there is to learn about your ferrets before you used them. Then learned a bit about the wind and how it affects rabbits, then perhaps maybe pehaps you would become a halfway decent ferreter. When I see posts about those bloody locators and how you cannot ferret without one, one thought comes to my mind that person should not be ferreting, as he knows feck all about ferreting.

I have been ferreting for 45 years and never used one. In that time I have lost one ferret, that fell down a limestone crevis in the Brecon Beacons and even if I could find it it would have taken dynamite to get it out. I will quite happilly enter a single Jill into a 30 hole warren in the knowledge that she will come out even if she kills. It will take a bit of time. 20 to 30 mins on average So what! I am doing it for sport not gain.

Or are all the locator gangs trying to keep up with the numbers got by the pro's. Think about it why are they getting paid to clear a piece of land? Because there are a lot of rabbits there!!! Of course they are going to get more rabbits than you. Anyone who cannot see that needs a kick up the arris.

To Sterry.

Dont let them grind you down mate. You are the true ferreter who has field craft, knows his dog, and can work out which end of the warren to put the ferret in and knows roughly where the rabbits are lying just by looking at your dog. The rest are just sheep who follow the latest trends.

ahh thank god someone else who also thinks there is life beyond locators i have been ferreting 30 years and although i have a locator i very very rarely use it a lot of ferreters put the hob or jill in wait 5 mins then cant wait to start digging holes ?

give the ferrets chance to work the warren out properly and keep the noise and talking down and far more rabbits will bolt on there own without having to dig at all im sure some ferreters just seem to love to use these locators and dig unnessaseraly GOD ONLY KNOWS WHY try giving the ferrets a fair chance to shift them 1st you will be surprised what a bit of patience and keeping the noise down will produce RABBITS NOT WHOPPING GREAT HOLES

read the whole thread!!!! :blink: