when to work ferrets?

just taught I'd have a quick look at this post.

You boys is taking the piss ain't you?.

tiercel you have been reading to many Plummer books (ferret walking to heel)if your ferret has never killed in 3 years It's crap, get rid.

cwmamanroughshooter its a wonder anyone talks to you having to write that lot out.

what they call you for short "Pinocchio" drags the bunnies out and puts them in it's box.

Well my ferret guts them for me and hangs them in a tree to cool.So there.

A GOOD LAUGH ANYWAY... bushcraft.... Ha Ha

:clapper: :clapper:

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you need to learn A LOT more about ferreting first my friend.

Ferrets will NEVER come back to YOU. They will however come out of the burrow when they have had enough of being in there, but there are some times when a ferret either won't or can't come out.

Do you have a collar to find them?

Do you know how to use it?

Do you have a spade?

Do you know when to use it?

Wise up BEFORE you go and lose a ferret.

fluc sake some people need to have their blood pressure checked before they turn the PC on. what would your reaction of been if you got an answer like this when you stared Halfinch! we should all be glad that someone is starting hunting in this day and age protect our sport and also the people starting.

I do though agree with you and Jenski87 should try and tag along with someone to show him the ropes.

HTS

I think locators are absolutly fine if you think you need one.

like tiercel i only use jills only had one hob when i was first starting (was really my uncles but anyway) and he would drag rabbits out if they wouldnt bolt then go and get the rest of em. i personally have not the wealth of experience that tiercel but i did start when i was 3 (so 14 years experience) but i was taught by my uncle who been ferreting since god knows.

im presumining tiercel thats the dog you was talkin about, is it a GWP beacause it dont half look like my GWP X Britanny spaniel.

i think going ferreting without a locator is bad form imo. ferrets work the burrows for you, its your job to make sure it gets back home ok. if your not prepared to spend the money to safe guard his return dont put it down to work.

Why is it wrong???

How did the old poachers ever survive using ferrets without a locator,Or did ferreting only evolve since the birth of the locator.I have to admit I have been ferreting for over 30 yrs plus and have never used a locator in my life,I have sat and waited until my ferret has had its belly full and have used all kinds of methods to move it on and try to get it to come out of the warren.

The locator is a great additional tool,but don't be fooled/misled or even intimidated by those who do use one to buy one.

Listen and learn,watch how your dog, if you take one, reacts ,it watches and listens to the ground,feel the earth or soil around you,be quiet have patience.and you will get to know with experience were to dig,if you need to

As I stated earlier the Locator is a great additional tool but don't be fooled/misled or even intimidated by those who do use one to buy one.

Why do people keep harping on about the good old days??? And we used to do this in the good old days!! Lets put this into perspective.......... Was it not in the good old days that they used to sew the ferrets mouth together? Was it not in the good old days poachers used to poach for the pot? Was it not the good old days that gave us myxy??? How many of the people blowing on about fieldcraft and no need to use locators have a mobile phone or a flat screen TV? I'm not saying that good things didnt happen or come out of the olden days but as with everything technology developes so why should we not use it in the field??? One final thing how a dog marking holes fieldcraft??

Why do people keep harping on about the good old days??? And we used to do this in the good old days!! Lets put this into perspective.......... Was it not in the good old days that they used to sew the ferrets mouth together? Was it not in the good old days poachers used to poach for the pot? Was it not the good old days that gave us myxy??? How many of the people blowing on about fieldcraft and no need to use locators have a mobile phone or a flat screen TV? I'm not saying that good things didnt happen or come out of the olden days but as with everything technology developes so why should we not use it in the field??? One final thing how a dog marking holes fieldcraft??

:clapper::clapper:

:clapper::clapper::clapper:

first time Ive looked in here, dont you just love "the old days"

well done to all those old timers who never used a locator, but knew all about fieldcraft and would wait for the ferret, the reason you never used locators, I presume was, the wernt invented, or cost way too much money back then, we move with the times, years ago, you did'nt need a driving license, but could still be a good driver, :hmm: so should we tell all these youngsters that a license is not needed, no, because TIMES HAVE CHANGED, wer've moved forward, ferreting is NOW a pastime, where as way back when, I doubt very much it was done for fun, people had to work long hard hours to survive, popping out for a few hours ferreting, was to put meat on the table, not to get rid of your stress over the working week,

so, to all you old timers out there, I applaud you for your memories of life gone by, they would be great to listen too, on a sunday afternoon down the pub with a glass of cider, but just because it was done that way, when you were kids, does not mean you should instill it on the youth of today, they should be taught, the way it is now,

lets be honest here, if you lost a ferret years ago, would ferreters be that cut up about it like they would now, ferrets are cared for 100% better, or are all those stating that "in the old days" locators wernt used, are also recomending that these newbies should feed bread and milk :hmm: after all, dry food wernt invented, and the low catch rate meant rabbits went in the pot, rather than being fed to the ferts

cheers hunting-top-shot. yes i am new to all this and really want to get into it but unfortunately i have nobody that can show me the ropes or teach me anything. thought i would ask a few questions on here and try and find things out that way. not really much point though when ive got bellends snapping my head off for askin. maybe i will find out somewhere else??????

I've ferreted since I was eight, I'm 47 next, most of my ferreting was done with out a locator, since locators were invented and dropped in price I've had one, does this mean that I traded my fieldcraft in for a locator, I think not, if my locator broke down I would still take the ferrets out, but I would still get another locator, on most of the well known warrens I do the locator hardly comes out of my pocket, on new warrens I use it to plot the size and depth of the new warren, I can't understand anyone who would'nt want that sort of information, information is on quarry is feildcraft. :)

cheers hunting-top-shot. yes i am new to all this and really want to get into it but unfortunately i have nobody that can show me the ropes or teach me anything. thought i would ask a few questions on here and try and find things out that way. not really much point though when ive got bellends snapping my head off for askin. maybe i will find out somewhere else??????

Get yourself a bit of drainpipe and play with your ferrets in the garden till your comfortable there coming out ect then try them in a burrow mate

i think going ferreting without a locator is bad form imo. ferrets work the burrows for you, its your job to make sure it gets back home ok. if your not prepared to spend the money to safe guard his return dont put it down to work.

Locators are for wimps and people with no field craft. Whoops, and pro rabbiters who do not have the time to wait for the ferrret and one that kills consitently cuts down on the time factor, by having a quick dig, after all that is what they are getting paid for. There my friend is the crux of the matter, pest control persons are paid to get results so they have to get them or go out of buisiness.

When all you hobby ferreters (of which I am one) keep banging on about locators and you cannot leave home without one and a spade. Make me think, god for Feck sake learn some fieldcraft, then you would not need your locators, spades and any other unnesseccery items that you carry. If you learned all there is to learn about your ferrets before you used them. Then learned a bit about the wind and how it affects rabbits, then perhaps maybe pehaps you would become a halfway decent ferreter. When I see posts about those bloody locators and how you cannot ferret without one, one thought comes to my mind that person should not be ferreting, as he knows feck all about ferreting.

I have been ferreting for 45 years and never used one. In that time I have lost one ferret, that fell down a limestone crevis in the Brecon Beacons and even if I could find it it would have taken dynamite to get it out. I will quite happilly enter a single Jill into a 30 hole warren in the knowledge that she will come out even if she kills. It will take a bit of time. 20 to 30 mins on average So what! I am doing it for sport not gain.

Or are all the locator gangs trying to keep up with the numbers got by the pro's. Think about it why are they getting paid to clear a piece of land? Because there are a lot of rabbits there!!! Of course they are going to get more rabbits than you. Anyone who cannot see that needs a kick up the arris.

To Sterry.

Dont let them grind you down mate. You are the true ferreter who has field craft, knows his dog, and can work out which end of the warren to put the ferret in and knows roughly where the rabbits are lying just by looking at your dog. The rest are just sheep who follow the latest trends.

Just out of intrest how many days do you ferret in a week a month and how many rabbits do you average monthly mate ????????????

Sorry mate listen, I and many others are here to help the beginner,Just because this post got sidetracked doesn't mean there is no help available.

Ok first of all we need some idea were about you are.

Do you have permission anywhere to go in your area.

when is suitable for you to go

Get back on here and dont be so hasty yes there are bellends on here,but there are alot more in other hobbies aswell

jon

Edited by akton

Stick with it mate, you'll get the anwers you want, there are some very usefull ferreters on this site, but like you say, bellends too.

Get yourself a bit of drainpipe and play with your ferrets in the garden till your comfortable there coming out ect then try them in a burrow mate

cheers pal. i went out with my hob today and he had no problem coming out of the burrow but he only stayeddown for a couple of minutes. we did a couple of sets but the same thing happened o each. i dont know wether its my inexperience or wether they were empty?? it was however his first time. could this make a difference as it seemed to me he was just entering and moving to the next hole to surface and not having a proper look round