the fastest

Hi folks,as I understand it the hare is supposed to be Brittains fastest land mammal but after seeing the roe deer round about me taking flight I wonder over 1000yrds of flat open ground just what would be the fastest a big buck hare or the roe deer.opinions please.

Hi folks,as I understand it the hare is supposed to be Brittains fastest land mammal but after seeing the roe deer round about me taking flight I wonder over 1000yrds of flat open ground just what would be the fastest a big buck hare or the roe deer.opinions please.

1000 yard is quite a distance so to be honest i think the deer would prove to be the fastest as it seems to me it would have the greater stamina, and after scaring one the other day whilst beating they really can shift

From what ive seen with my own eyes id say terrain plays alot and the dog needs to put a lot more effort in to to push a deer to turn i.e. it runs faster, over most terrain . but then id say the shorter legs of a hare gives it a disadvantage in most terrains, on turf or grass fields ive never seen anything leave a dog like a hare can. I think giving both, ideal conditions the hare, but life aint ideal

In my opinion if you really want to test a dog on staying power and stamina also speed in a straight line you can't get better quarry than the hare or deer. Let's be honest the fastest land Mammal in the British isles is the lurcher.

If you were to put the deer against a hare I suppose it would depend on terrain to. There's no telling which one would be faster. The Hare is definitely quicker off the mark though. :D

Both can and do straight line the fastest of dogs when there heading for safety. IMO deer are capable of the fastest burst of speed in a straight line. I would be worried about the dog if it couldnt put a bend in over 1000 yards though!

Edited by joe ox

gota be a deer!! hare are quick (and get quicker the faster the dog) but a deer is more inclined to go in a straight line more so it must know something!!! hares are faster excelarating but not by much. but then i've never seen the fen hares go in person so maybe they are faster?

scotty