hancock dogs

i had a first x hancock dog once its the only dog i grew to hate.... i gave it to some lads i know in the i.o.m. the loved him valued him highly. it all depends on what you want i suppose

if somthing has to much about it and is out thinking you you may grow to hate it too many times ive herd the term clever to see just the oposite.

i dont know whether thats an insult or not but i think your right

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all. I'm knew to the forum and spend most time over with the gundog guys. I don't want to hijack this thread. But, I have been wondering about Lurchers myself for a while. So, I have a question as well. First off, I understand that this fellow Hancock breeds Collie x Greyhounds on a large scale. That they are raised in good conditions and all that. But they are just that specific hybred. 1/2 x 1/2 or 3/4 x 1/4 etc.

Could you expect to get a dog that will work and be trainable? Or would it be a better bet to buy an Actual working Lurcher to Lurcher breeding?

Here in the states, it would catch mostly cotton tail rabbits, a few fox and maybe coyote's with other dogs helping.

I've got one and it will be the last i ever have,had it from 6 months and to be fare he has a really good nose and can hunt up a bit of rough as good as any lab can.He just hasn't got the killer bit in him and pulls up at hedges,doesn't give it his all and is the sort of dog that could break the spirit of a younger lad.I have put loads of work into him and if he did have that killer strike he would be all i would want,but he hasn't and it's frustraighting to say the least.He can be hissed down a beam to a squatter and is good around all stock,has been flushing snipe for fun this last week but it all means nothing when you need a dog to try for his game.The 4 40 yrd roe in the middle of a large field yesterday was a proper gutter when he watched them run off,my 12 week acd x gh pup was with us and she wanted to go with them and in her is my sport for the future.If your thinking of having a hancock then it's down to luck wether you get a good un,i didn't and you can't add whats not there to start with.

Ive got a 1x collie grey [ no hancock] and he is ok, he 24ins 60lb. The prob with colliexs is its what

grey and collie you use to start your lurcher x? My dog was bred form 26in grey 60lb 1000yds bitch

to a working 22in border collie, that works cattle+sheep on a farm by a mate of mine. With any

colliex you can get CRAP Temp, it dont matter Who bred it. The reason i dont like hancock's dogs,

i think they come up to BIG, my mate had two a 3/4 grey 1/4 collie=27ins and a 3/8collie 5/8 grey26 1/2 ins both heavy dogs. To me a 24in dog will catch any game in the U.K, lets face it [ rabbits,hares,

deer, foxes, all can it 30-40 mph, and you need a agile dog, before you say ive got a dog 26-27in

that can catch anything, yes ive had them as well, but a 24in dog will do it that Bit Better. Alot of

peole like line bred colliexgrey, but you have to start with your 1x, and thats why i would not use a hancock dog [ to big and the studs dont work.???]. Ive had lurchers 25 years, and found out Speed

yes, strenght yes, Agilty is a must, with out it you wont catch feck all :wallbash: and you get it more

from a smaller dog.??

had them got to the nlrc finals with one a good bitch but wouldnt have another quite fussy about my dogs and i prefer to see parents work, not in a pen shagging some second rate greyhound,, only way forward is to see parents or know guys who have, but genuine guys end off ,cant make purse out of a sows lineing , i realy think there a niche for somomne two sell good colli types or lamping saluki types and allrounders ,but hard work not for me

Have had two the first was a 3/4 grey 1/4 collie best dog i ever had and could still take a hare at age 9 and was still catching odd bunnies up until she died at 13 years of age.The second also a 3/4 grey 1/4 collie is a good dog her only faults are slightly timid with strange people (my fault) and that she doesn't show any interest in charlie but i personally cant fault them and will probably get another one in the future!