Stopped by the police

it should have bn in a case/sliup in boot.

as for copper shiten himself u sure it wasnt doin his job SAFE distance.

gun was out of case and on front seat so it was his own fault(nothing bad meant there)

I was just joking with our freind mike when i said the copper shite himself, if you knew my fella you'd realise why! lol

He knows it was his own fault for being lazy and not putting the gun in the case even though it was only a few seconds drive to the next farm entrance, he defiately wont be doing it again.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My fella got stopped 2 nights ago at 2.00am. He was driving one of the back lanes travelling to a neigbouring farm where he has permission. The air rifle wasnt in its case, it was down the side of the front seat, barrel pointing at the floor. The magazine was out and seperate. The police stopped him and took his gun out, with the night vision on infront of the police car lights which he is not that impressed about! The copper said it is illegal to carry the air rifle in this way an it should be at all times in a case in the boot. Is this right?

i would keep my gun in a case to not damage it but i think as long as it is not armed it's alright. i'm not sure wether it's legal or not but i do know it's not a good idea to have your gun out of it's case as pepole do get alarmed naturally when they see a rifle.

pigoen plucker

He normally has it in the case but it was 2.00am and it was a back lane where there are only about 4 farms and he has permission on all of them, was just driving from one where he had been shooting to the next one, just his luck that the police were there!

me an my mate had are guns out at the side of a main road a few years back an the police pulled up just give us a quik search an said get the guns in the bags an take them home but then we just f****d off down the railway

guys

quote from northern ireland fac- firearms and ammo being conveyed in a vehicle must be hidden from view and should be secured to an anchorage point or contained in a securely fixed and locked box within the said vehicle.

think that spells it out for us across the water

sean

you say that he didn't have the magazine in the rifle which, was good do you know that even if your mag isn't in the rifle but you have pellets in the mag that is illegal in its self!

You must always have your rifle in a case when you transport it, but judging by the amount of replies you now know that ;)

Was the Stop Legal - my View Yes

Especially around Farms in Early Hours

Out of interest do you report you are out at night Shooting ?

In which case they normally advise patrols in Area - to look out for you

Helps when others report seeing people with Gun's on Land

Aware of a Few Shooting Buddies which are armed Police that might

have been tired and had a accident in a similar case :o

Reminds me of a guy involved in a Car accident - taken off to hospital head injuries

Police watch car awaiting recovery

Guy breaks in a Steals Air Gun's - from boot of damaged Car

Police See and catch villian

Fire Arms Officer checks Gun's believes over Sub 12FP - Get's chronoed

Guy wakes up in hospital - to find he was going to be arrested for Fire Arms Offences

Had No legal reasons to be carry Guns in Car before Accident

Or a FAC License

In other words these day's do not temp fate ................

BOB/R

the only legal way to move any gun air gun/rifle fac or sub 12ftp, and any firearm on the public highways ie any public road

is to have it eather! in a gun case hard/soft, with no ammo in the wepon or covered ie with a cloth and then a boot cover. if on the back seat of a car i would only ever move a wepon in a gun case.

the police man was well with in his rights to stop and pull over your better partner, To many people have ago at the police for doing what they see right. as fare as he knows hes seen a driver maybe acking in a way he though to be abit dogy or seen the rifle.

at that point has to think the worst, the fact that he only stoped him and took the rifle out ( moving it away from the drive incase the driver was a nutter ( not say he is u undestand ) to make this situation safe him self ( the police man ) the face the NV scope didnt have a light limiter on it was well your partners folt lol.. and cant blame the police man for not knowing.

and you said your self he let him go ( he was lucky ) he could have at worst spent the night in a sell and have alot of questions to answer then face a fine..

so to asnwer is it legal what your parter did no it was not, he did brake the law and i would advise any one moving any kind of rifle / pistol / shotgun even if u only drive 10 yards on public roads cover it over or better USE A GUN CASE!!!

not just for the protection of the wepon but for your own safty, last thing u want is for someone to see u at the lights and try and take it from you :-( not good..

Just think on befor you act :p

everything we can do as hunters to keep plod off are backs the better. but if u dont do anything wrong in the 1st place then u dont have anything to worry about

remember the police are not anit hunting/ anit guns just ANIT fools with guns

the only legal way to move any gun air gun/rifle fac or sub 12ftp, and any firearm on the public highways ie any public road

is to have it eather! in a gun case hard/soft, with no ammo in the wepon or covered ie with a cloth and then a boot cover. if on the back seat of a car i would only ever move a wepon in a gun case.

the police man was well with in his rights to stop and pull over your better partner, To many people have ago at the police for doing what they see right. as fare as he knows hes seen a driver maybe acking in a way he though to be abit dogy or seen the rifle.

at that point has to think the worst, the fact that he only stoped him and took the rifle out ( moving it away from the drive incase the driver was a nutter ( not say he is u undestand ) to make this situation safe him self ( the police man ) the face the NV scope didnt have a light limiter on it was well your partners folt lol.. and cant blame the police man for not knowing.

and you said your self he let him go ( he was lucky ) he could have at worst spent the night in a sell and have alot of questions to answer then face a fine..

so to asnwer is it legal what your parter did no it was not, he did brake the law and i would advise any one moving any kind of rifle / pistol / shotgun even if u only drive 10 yards on public roads cover it over or better USE A GUN CASE!!!

not just for the protection of the wepon but for your own safty, last thing u want is for someone to see u at the lights and try and take it from you :-( not good..

Just think on befor you act :p

everything we can do as hunters to keep plod off are backs the better. but if u dont do anything wrong in the 1st place then u dont have anything to worry about

remember the police are not anit hunting/ anit guns just ANIT fools with guns

tbh i think its just how the police man/woman is feeling at the time like if there gona get off there shift in half an hour they wont be botherd 2 take you in an do the paper work an [bANNED TEXT] not ive been pulled a few times an never had anything happen 2 me never had a rifle took up2 now touch wood

ok..your the copper... you stop this guy with a gun ont front seat wwith the night vision on? hmmmm no mag in it though.. i know, he was looking at the floor whilste driving?

then again... two farms close togehter it would make sense to me, but alas... gun out of case.

i've read a few times it's worth logging in with the local station, that way they know when and where you go, in that situe maybe they wouldnt have stopped him at all..dunno.. i try and avoid it tbh, legal or not the NV in a car bulb thing will happen weather your legal or not, either they dont know or they got a problem... i've had 'two problem' guys stop me in the past...NOT NICE knowing theyre there to give you a licking, if you hit back it's your word against theres.. hense i just avoid!.......

(yeh i know..i've met more nice coppers than bad... bad those two incidends bring it home nicely... it's like meeting the guy with axe, same diference!.)

this is what i dont understand . for someone who seems to be so up on there hunting your husband should of bloody known that while in transport the firearm needs to be in a slip !!!

next time he might not so be lucky and will have a little red dot put on his chest.

why didnt he set that proper bullx that plays with the cat on the copper or maybe the game chicken ? he could of PROPER shit himself them .

posts like this are complete junk

this is what i dont understand . for someone who seems to be so up on there hunting your husband should of bloody known that while in transport the firearm needs to be in a slip !!!

next time he might not so be lucky and will have a little red dot put on his chest.

why didnt he set that proper bullx that plays with the cat on the copper or maybe the game chicken ? he could of PROPER shit himself them .

im not sure what we have ever done to upset you but you seem to have a few issues with us? :blink:

Well anyhow to clear things up we have just phoned the police firearms unit.

They said that in a public place the air rifle needs to be inaccesibe to be fired. They said to be in the safe side its best to have it in a slip in the car as it is dependant on the officer at the scene as to how he deals with it.

But that was never the issue the issue was he was adament that it go in the boot, this is what we were asking, is it the law that the air rifle must be in the boot.

im not sure what we have ever done to upset you but you seem to have a few issues with us? :blink:

Well anyhow to clear things up we have just phoned the police firearms unit.

They said that in a public place the air rifle needs to be inaccesibe to be fired. They said to be in the safe side its best to have it in a slip in the car as it is dependant on the officer at the scene as to how he deals with it.

But that was never the issue the issue was he was adament that it go in the boot, this is what we were asking, is it the law that the air rifle must be in the boot.

:o Well in my experience of this place you've come to the right forum to get a personal attack too many people like to get on their soap boxes here. I think they read too much air gun world magazines etc :D

the copper let him go... in all fairnes it has to be left to the discresion of the copper at the time, or else it ends up like a judge dread movie.. chances are the two shoots were paralel.. or so close as to warent a quick move etc, no harm done in the middle of no where going 50 yards up a road... but 5 miles a trip int it.

saves time and money and saves putting inocent people away on a quirpy 'letter of the law' situation.. but best of all removes that mouthy twat with the attitude prob with infumous coments like 'you cant do this!' or 'you cant arest me' then the verbals... the guys doing a civic duty to protect you from criminals.. a cival tongue isnt to much to ask is it..

he was lucky this time... yu cant beet knowing the coppers.. they know you, nearly back to the old bobby on the beet dragging the kid home and confuntingthe parents.. makes the parents do something and gets the kid directly involved.. and doesnt cost a grand a pop to take it court to hand out petty puney fines for stuff that shouldnt even be in court waisting time and efert and public money...

on the other hand... a glue sniffer.. lol would you exspect the same copper to do nothing? i would hope the gun was gone along with the sniffer... blah blah..

A lot of interesting quotes of the law here...

Which Act or Acts, and which sections are you all quoting from??

I'd kinda like to ask the same question as Deker here, just what laws are you guys quoting??

Discharging a weapon is one thing, being in legal possesion is an other.