Heat lamps

LDR

Bought mine about 7 or 8 years ago near where i live (south wales) i paid £25 but i have been told there selling them in most countrywide stores was told there going for £20 .Or if you know any pig farmers they might borrow one.They are something i would no do without .

got mine at a country store for 20 quid.its served me well but this summer im going to build a kennel where i can install a heater or radiator,that way the rooms warm all round.heat lamps are great but i think they must cost a bit to run if its on for days at a time which can happen with bad injuries.......im always worried that the bulb might smash over the dog or even worse pups.ive never heard of it happening but i still fancy another way of keeping the dog warm....

PHIL ,

AT THE MOMENT ITS JUST IN THE PLANNING STAGE .....BUT A FRIEND FROM WAY DOWN SOUTH IS WANTING ME TO MAKE SOME INSULATED KENNELS WITH A FALSE BOTTOM IN THEM SO A TUBEULAR HEATING PIPE CAN BE FITTED IN THE SPACE , THUS HEATING THE SLEEPING AREA WITHOUT THE DOG HAVING ANYTHING TO CHEW , IT SEEMS LIKE A GOOD IDEA ... RATHER THAN HAVING A HEAT LAMP WITH A BULB WHICH CAN BLOW OR SMASH

ALL THE BEST

DUCKWING

Did see on onother forum talk of heat mats that go on the floor of kennels, will try find it put the link up,

You can get similar for under tiled floor, just electrical heat tracing cable... would be pefect on a thermostat.... don't know what power they pull though so could be costly if its over a long period...

that sounds like a good idea duckwing, ive had to bring my injured terrier in the house as i didnt think just a heatlamp in his kennel was sufficient.a purpose built,easily cleaned kennel would be great..........screwfix sell under tile heating,ive fitted it before but it only takes the chill off the tiles i dont think it would heat a room.

• 2 months later...

the tube heaters are ok if there is no drafts going into the kennels. the heat lamps are brilliant for direct heat to warm the dog up quickly but not good for long term use as they dehydrate the dogs. i paid £15 for the heat lamp and £35 for the tube heater which i got out of a bird magazine

Guest pikey

you can buy a good heat lamp bulb for €7.euros at a good electric/ trade shop then fit it in to a ceramic bulb holder about €2.50 euros, get a cheap time switch about €3.99, set it for hour on hour off, well thats what i do when there on pup or healing :) , i have read some were about the lads in the states making dog boxes from fridges cause there well insulated and you pick them up free!!!

Guest baldie

I did have a greenhouse catalogue somewhere, i,ll try and find it. They had some great oil filled[ i guess] stainless single pipes, in 2 or 3 sizes long, starting at around 12", very simple, about 2" in dia, and little bolt down feet, with a flex and plug, they werent dear, i remember thinking, they would be great for a kennel.