my new breeding program but have a small problem

Guest thetruth

Guest thetruth

yes i know before you all jump on me that it is only a pup but it does come from good working stock but they are known not to retrieve very well so i would like to add a bit off springer to the mix for my next litter that i will hopefully be selling to good working homes.

the lurcher is sulukixgrey borzoixgrey bullx

the question is , the springer is a well fed dog but still wants to eat everthing it catches , i always feed it before i go out but he still has the same problem .

he is not too bad when i leave the other dogs at home but still a bit naughty.

well heres hoping the new litter will hopefully retrieve.

if anyone is intrested , the pups will be £200 geniune dog men only need apply

dsc02451vx4.jpg

dsc02452ta1.jpg

Edited by thetruth

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yes i know before you all jump on me that it is only a pup but it does come from good working stock but they are known not to retrieve very well so i would like to add a bit off springer to the mix for my next litter that i will hopefully be selling to good working homes.

the question is , the springer is a well fed dog but still wants to eat everthing it catches , i always feed it before i go out but he still has the same problem .

dsc02451vx4.jpg

dsc02452ta1.jpg

you need to go back to complete training basics and work on the good retrieves......taking him with others wont help as he will be protectiong "his kill" from his rivals.

Guest nitevision

feed the springer some cake and pie on top of its normal food then take it out,if that dont work try adding some rice pudding to the menu,has he sired many litters the springer,as for the lurcher nice cross,sounds like a tool. ;) good luck plenty of genuine dog men on here.

Guest thetruth

im hoping the springer will help on the retrieving side of thing's as the lurchers are known to be a little stubon . the springer is getting better slowly and i do give her a mini mars bar when she does well

Guest nitevision
think u might be right riohog, might get the worst traits from the different breeds. sure plummer wrote ;)something like that before
so you think he would end up with a mars bar eating non retrieving lump of a lurcher :angry:

dsc02451vx4.jpg

dsc02452ta1.jpg

Looking at that picture mate it looks as though there will be nothing left to retrieve by the time you get to it.

If you are going to do this breeding, then why not use a better retrieving dog to do it, and not one that eats and rips everything to pieces?

Then again I'm no breeder so best of luck with it.

So, one won't retrieve and the other eats the catch!..... Not unusual for a lurcher to have a retrieving problem, something we/most can live with...But! a gun dog that eats its catch!...Bad news and a training problem somewhere perhaps. Buy a lurcher pup if you really want another lurcher, plenty about. ;)