Siberian Goshawks

Guest what a flight

Guest what a flight

A mates been breeding these for a couple of years from 2 lines,there like rocking horse shit to get hold of,he's getting offered silly money for the youngsters but won't sell any just yet,he's building up a viable breeding base before he does,loaning them to trusted friends to hunt with till they are mature enough to go back into his breeding chambers.

you get 2 colour phases,this one a male is a white phase.

This is a female blue phase.

a brancher blue phase female.

got some good pics on a disc of the blue phase female splatting hares,which she does for fun,seen her take some heavy kicks but keep getting up and having another go till she connects proper,i'll put them up when i find it......

W A F........

Guest what a flight
That top pic is a beutiful looking bird mate how do they compare to our goses size wise and hunting wise.ps and temprement.cheers.

Alright paul,for size ,not even the big finnish gos can touch them,there truly huge goshawks,that white phase male hunts at 2lb 5oz,and the blue female hunts at 3lb 4oz,he has a white female sister to the blue female that hunts at 3lb 14oz.Females coming out the aivery heavy over 4lb's plus and the males coming out round and over 3lb plus.Its not just there size and beauty,hunting ability that appeals to falconers even for a big hawk there very quick on gamebirds and ducks,and won't jib on hares even after taking heavy kicks,though the most appealing thing about them is there temprement,it can only be descibed as harris like,very laid back,none of the baiting twittering skittishness thats associated with our own european goshawks,they reckon this is down to them being so isolated in the huge northen russian forests,but at the end of the day how the hawk turns out will depend on the falconer flying it.As for costs to own one, :unsure: ,for a male,think top price for a finnish female then double it...... :icon_eek: out of my league mate... ;)

W A F.........

[WAF will they do anything extra a finnish female will do and they are nice but there feet look smaler than my male harris lmao. because at that price you would be looking for a bird that would put in a realy hard shift. :diablo:

Guest what a flight
[ but there feet look smaler than my male harris  lmao.

:rolleyes: @viz..i wonder who you heard that from :D ,you spend too much time on the phone,lets be honest hear..youv'e never seen either hunt on a daily basis or even owned a finnish or siberian gos so how can you make comparisons with the feet size of a harris and a gos :ph34r: anyway,i belive your harris hasn't seen the outside of its aviery for the last couple of seasons for you to see its feet,never mind wrap them round game :D keep it real feller......stick to your guns :good:

W A F............

Your wrong there WAF Storm has been out three times a week mate lol and is doing realy well But your right about me not seeing a goss work. but at the prices you said it would need to be special feck i cant even aford a german male. with regards feet i was looking at THE PICTURE OF THE BRANCHER its feet look very small. Spending to much time on the phone is a fact lmao 0898 numbers are costing me a fortune.

Guest what a flight

;) viz,i won't say how good at hunting they are,i'll put you intouch with mick whose flying the brancher in the above pic,he lives 25 minutes west of glasgow airport so i think you could make it to see for yourself how they hunt,but you'll probably have to wait till the moults over in the autumn,you might even know him,he's got good lurchers and is a top falconer too,he had bad luck before xmas though,had a cracker female peregrine electrocuted and killed,i'll be up north early this year myself to try and smoke a few of your grouse with my pere... :good: if its still stands.....p.s he's like me,hasn't got a pot to piss in and able to afford the askin price of a siberian gos,but he's good enough to be trusted with one,hunting it till its ready to breed from,hunting with it to the full,rather than being banged in a chamber from a fledgeling never being hunted at all by breeders who only see the ££££££ signs....

Regards,

W A F........

;) viz,i won't say how good at hunting they are,i'll put you intouch with mick whose flying the brancher in the above pic,he lives 25 minutes west of glasgow airport so i think you could make it to see for yourself how they hunt,but you'll probably have to wait till the moults over in the autumn,you might even know him,he's got good lurchers and is a top falconer too,he had bad luck before xmas though,had a cracker female peregrine electrocuted and killed,i'll be up north early this year myself to try and smoke a few of your grouse with my pere... :good: if its still stands.....p.s he's like me,hasn't got a pot to piss in and able to afford the askin price of a siberian gos,but he's good enough to be trusted with one,hunting it till its ready to breed from,hunting with it to the full,rather than being banged in a chamber from a fledgeling never being hunted at all by breeders who only see the ££££££ signs....

Regards,

W A F........

WAF

I'm sure thats the bird that your mate Joe had that was'nt making the grade, I remeber talking to him on the phone and he was disapointed with it which was the reason he took up the grey bird! I'll be Honest I see plenty of pic's and have some myself of German and Finnish birds doing the buisness in style weather it be Hares or whatever, Can't say I've heard any great reports on the siberians! the only reports I have either read or heard apart from the fact they have smaller feet than a good finnish bird :D is they're a bit lazy and take a bit of getting going, its no different than the Gyr's in this country! they have never proved themselves at game like a peregrine! its more of a status symbol to have a big expensive bird than a seriouse out and out Hunting machine! German birds will pull down hares no probs when they master the technique, in alot of cases its not the size its has the bird got the bollox to do it, there is no doubt a siberian can do it! but the thing is why pay a fortune for a bird that another bird will do for quarter the price and which is more suited to the english countryside.

The pure Gyr's have failed time and time again in this country only for the falconers to return to fly the trusted peregrine, I'm afraid if I had some siberians I would be one of the breeders only looking at the £££££££ signs! I certainly would'nt fly a bird that would pay the Mortgage for a year :D.

Cheers

Tony

Guest hawkaholic

are these birds in adult ploom or are they youngsters , theres no f*****g way i would pay that kinda cash for a bird , after all what are you realy paying for ? as jasper said the gyr hasnt proven itself in the uk and i think from after what ive heard about the siberian gos they will prove to be the same as the gyr , even though they look good will they make the grade ? no doubt in a few years time the flash astringers will all be out flying these birds and giving them all the prays they dont deserve ! a well another mony spinner hits the uk falconry sene :no: ...............

Guest what a flight

jasper,

the last time you spoke with joe,the brancher was still on the line ;),i didn't think much of it either at the time it was a big clumsy lump and was very slow to get going,but what you have to understand,is the way he cuts his birds,he's not into knocking lumps of them,and it was trial and error with the weight issue it being an imprint,wanting to avoid vocals and bad habits on top of mannerisms youv'e never seen in any gos,he got given the blue female also to hunt that he took a shine too,and the young bird went north to a falconer with a bit more of a mean streak in them regarding the approach to weight control,and bang the spark was ignited and the sleeping giant was awoken ;) ,his tally of hares,mostly brown and gamebirds,mostly pheasant and some ducks for the few months he flew her is testament to there flying / killing power,and also his skills as a allweather everyday hunter,not a fairweather weekend hunter :angel: ,.Jasper,give joe a ring ,and maybe if he'll talk to yer after you handing us numerous invites down to hunt throughout the summer,then hiding all winter to pop up with a p.m arn't you coming down the seasons nearly ending,with just 1 week to go :ph34r:,he'll tell you how his siberian female flew all season against berneys pure ,not half or quarter finnish female,you know he wanted to bring it down with his falcon,and me with mine,you had your chance to see it hunt and make up your own mind,but i think you would of been more made up seeing smokey tipping over into a full tuck,seeing as you bred her......... :good:

cheers,

W A F.........

Waf

You had Invites two years ago but due to work commitment you did'nt come over, you had Invites last year up to the end of the game season this year and did'nt come over, there was a few lads over that also wanted to see this bird of yours fly, but Instead the both of you decided to go down lincolnshire for the day on Mike Kelvins land :D, I still have the pm's on smoochers I sent to you In december and January asking you when you're coming and whats happend to the telemetry set you offered me, the land was layed out for you as was a few other falconers who did turn up for a week from down stoke, The last time I spoke to Joe he told me he was coming and also planning on doing a bit of trout fishing, as far as I was concerened it was all planned, the last thing that was said was give us a bell when you want to come but I heard nothing.

If I had known you was going to Lincolnshire I certainly would have made a effort to go and see her fly, to be Honest I could'nt understand why you went there when I could put game under both your birds all day every day! plus the hospitality would have been better :D, but then again it was your choice not mine, I would love to see her do the buisness just as much as I would like to see the video of her in full tilt that you was going to send me :good:, to be Honest having people down gave me a bit of enthusiasm again as like I said to you I was pretty pissed off with the birds! after breeding and rearing birds right upto the end of October it has this effect on you, the last thing I wanted to do at the time was fly anything but I flew the Spar on and off for a while and now she back in the wild where she belongs, I have no problem at the least with people staying over and having some sport! I certainly don't hide from anyone which is why the lads from stoke stayed over in their Caravan up the driveway for the week and I'll be Honest we had some great sport not only with birds but shooting and fishing, I won't be ringing Joe as to be Honest I have no problem weather he speaks to me or not.

Cheers

Tony

• 2 weeks later...