whippets & pheasants

just a quick question to those of you who work whippets. do they take readily to picking up pheasants? i've got permission on a couple of large farms in hampshire allowed to take a few pheasants with the rabbits. going to be getting a pup soon

just a quick question to those of you who work whippets. do they take readily to picking up pheasants? i've got permission on a couple of large farms in hampshire allowed to take a few pheasants with the rabbits. going to be getting a pup soon

:yes:

Trained well a whippet will pick up feather,mine would even pick up a can beer.

All in the training,and how you train it different dummies might help.

When im doing gun dogs i put wings on dummy,then progress to pigeon,as if they will carry a pigeon they will carry any bird.

several times an old whippet of mine would chase rabits into thick cover and come back with a pheasant, i used to have a hell of a job getting him to release rabbits but would just drop the bird at my feet!

had all sorts of lurchers take feather got its good pionts and bad at times , funniest thing my dog tyne caut a woodcock as a sapling he fetches it and drops it at feet it flew away ,i was not happy but though well no big deal hees a good bird dog so is mhirn lana , i learnt them on rabbit fencing the pheasants were slow to get up and they got nailed etc your whippet with the [bANNED TEXT] encouragment should do it

had all sorts of lurchers take feather got its good pionts and bad at times , funniest thing my dog tyne caut a woodcock as a sapling he fetches it and drops it at feet it flew away ,i was not happy but though well no big deal hees a good bird dog so is mhirn lana , i learnt them on rabbit fencing the pheasants were slow to get up and they got nailed etc your whippet with the [bANNED TEXT] encouragment should do it

my old colliex used to catch woodcock when out lamping do the same thing pity woodcock fav eating keep thinking to get collie lurcher again instead of whippet