Long range scope

I am toying with the idea of spending a vast sum of money I don't have on a scope I don't need.

It will be used to shoot foxes (night) at unfeasibly long ranges, and targets as far as the rifle (243, don't own it yet, I will be changing my rifle) and I can shoot accurately.

I was thinking:

Nightforce

Schmidt

Swaro

Zeiss

or possibly Meopta.

If needs be I might be persuaded to spend £1300-odd, but I would like to do it for less because it makes the chances of actually buying the damn thing higher. Right now I don't know exactly what I want, so your experiences are welcome.

The big question mark for me is Meopta's Meostar R1 4-16x44, because it appears to be a good plan - mildot, good glass, tactical turrets without being too big. And it's not too bad price wise at all, at around half an S&B. I don't expect the glass to be as good, but how big is the difference? Has anyone used both?

I am toying with the idea of spending a vast sum of money I don't have on a scope I don't need.

It will be used to shoot foxes (night) at unfeasibly long ranges, and targets as far as the rifle (243, don't own it yet, I will be changing my rifle) and I can shoot accurately.

I was thinking:

Nightforce

Schmidt

Swaro

Zeiss

or possibly Meopta.

If needs be I might be persuaded to spend £1300-odd, but I would like to do it for less because it makes the chances of actually buying the damn thing higher. Right now I don't know exactly what I want, so your experiences are welcome.

The big question mark for me is Meopta's Meostar R1 4-16x44, because it appears to be a good plan - mildot, good glass, tactical turrets without being too big. And it's not too bad price wise at all, at around half an S&B. I don't expect the glass to be as good, but how big is the difference? Has anyone used both?

forget meopta any of the rest will do the job me swarozki ive been using them for many years top notch stuff

Swarozki mate.

If you want something that little bit special.

and if as you say "toying with the idea of spending a vast sum of money I don't have on a scope I don't need."

Go all in and buy a Swarozki.

The clarity is world class, a top bit of glass.

Cheers

It will be used to shoot foxes (night) at unfeasibly long ranges,

What do you class as unfeasibly long ranges at night ?

Be very very careful long shots at night 350 + is at the limit of identification fox/muntjac/ badger and dogs all look like one another at night. And all but one will take your ticket !!!!!!!!!

Spend more effort on field craft rather than taking a long and risky shot.

Scopes for night time shooting and scopes for range work are like chalk and cheese !

S&B have some nice working scopes

Swarovski are very like S&B but with extra quality

Not had a Nightforce [ to bulky ] or Ziess and as for Meopta the price gives the game away.

I have two Nightforces and a Swarovski - to be quite honest they are all very good and in my opinion will do the job you have in hand.

My advice would be to find someone local and get to look through a few of the scopes on your list to see how YOUR eyes see through them.

i would get the zeiss diavari if you got the money to spend. or the zeiss conquest if you want a top scope with out spending over a grand. you could get one for £500 so you would be saving alot of cash plus if you get the right recticial you can use it for foxing and on the target range.

key is something that dont get lost in the lamp but then not to thick for range shooting. i would say the zplex would be perfect for that or what about the rapidz recticial.

you can sse a fox clear in the lamp at 300 yards even with the conquest and that is half the price of the other top scopes.

a lad looked through my mates conquest the other day and he has had all the top scopes like swaro,s&b and now has a number of nightforces. and he really liked the conquest and couldnt believe the price difference in them to his nf scopes.

donbt forget this is coming from a 25mm tube to not a 30 or 34mm like most the top end scopes are ! so its light to ;)

I have a Leupold VX-III 8.5-25 x 50 (about £650.00) which I am really pleased with. It has a very clear and bright image at 25x mag. I've used it on targets at 600yds on a .223. It has 1/4 MOA turrets which I keep zeroed at 100yds. If I go fox shooting I go up 4 clicks which puts me 1" high which covers a 2" vital zone out to 200yds or if I go target shooting I go up 70 clicks which normally gets me to within 4" of the V-bull at 600yds with my first shot. At the end of the day I dial back to my 100yd zero and I know that whether I go foxing or target shooting next, the scope will always put the bullet in the right place.

This may sound like an ad for Leupold, but I am very impressed with it.

P.S. Forget to say that I have the fine duplex reticle which doesn't cover up the V-bull at long ranges but is still visible on a fox at 100-200 yds.

Edited by silver_fox

IOR used to be a poor quality scope back in the day but things have changed the scope build is excellent, and they should be a contender on your list as also the zesis conquest should be, As said any of the other well known brands also will do you proud,

i use a leupold LRT 6.5x20x50, and find it excellent....if a bit pricy, the IOR will be equal if not better if i'm honest..... ;)