lamped hares back in the day

I know there was a bit of an ongoing argument on this subject but back in the day when we were aloud to coarse hairs how many of you lamped them and whats peoples feelings on this proberbly just set my self up for anouther long drawn argument and slagging off but hear we go some think it wasnt sporting and some love it. I have read on a couple of topics on hear about hares arnt lamped well hear were I live they used to be lamped by all.

thoughts on this please.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jbswildlife
I know there was a bit of an ongoing argument on this subject but back in the day when we were aloud to coarse hairs how many of you lamped them and whats peoples feelings on this proberbly just set my self up for anouther long drawn argument and slagging off but hear we go some think it wasnt sporting and some love it. I have read on a couple of topics on hear about hares arnt lamped well hear were I live they used to be lamped by all.

thoughts on this please.

got into lamping at the age of 13 had great fun doing it never owned a chase dog but was luvky to have friends that did, found it very exciting sport and it just made me more into the field sports. spent many a night carrying a car battery and a cibbe spot light(the ones you see on a rally car) when In my teens we used to gate net hares sell them on to greyhound men. if it waqs not for that sport and the education from my mentor I would be nowhere today

id rather save them for daytime and start young pups on lamped hares only :whistling:

How come mate? not being funny but it would take a good fit pup to take one even on the lamp I dont think a dog should see a hare till at least 15month lamped or not just my opinion though

doubled up i think mate as my first lurcher missed his first few hares and it took ages to get his confidnce bk :thumbs:

Edited by ferret boy charlie
Guest mickyrichardson
nice one jbs.

Now thats what im talking about micky well in mate good bag so I guess you find it sporting then :clapper:

spot on lads thanks for the replies more pics and replies any body?

Nought wrong with lamping hares where i go there more hares than rabbits and the farmer wants a PEST CONTROL job doing

who am i to refuse :thumbs: Forgot to say pre ban :whistling::whistling::whistling:

It seems to be bigger in england than in ireland alot of people over here would have you shot for lamping hares as they are seem to be much easier to catch at night compared to day and i was brought up to never slip on a hare out lamping and i never would but thats just the way it is around here its just something you dont do.

Guest mickyrichardson
It seems to be bigger in england than in ireland alot of people over here would have you shot for lamping hares as they are seem to be much easier to catch at night compared to day and i was brought up to never slip on a hare out lamping and i never would but thats just the way it is around here its just something you dont do.
Hares are easier on the lamp but if a farmer says he wants them off you get them off and the best way to get them in numbers is lamp them

can respect that bud nice one I have seen lads with dogs that make catching conney look hard so this is a bit inbeetween rabbit and daytime hares still takes a good dog to take a lamped hare ive heard storys of people picking them up with there hands with the lamp and that its just like the dogs picking up sitters to these people I say you have never lamped a hare or not so many any how.