Cocker breeding any advice?

Hi Guys

I have a great little working cocker spaniel which i hope to breed from next time she comes into season. She will be just over two and a half years old and is having a fantastic season beating and picking up.

The advice i'm looking for is what do i look for in a stud dog? How far should i be looking back in the pedigree to make sure they are not too closley related?

She was sired by Argyll warrior and dam was Warren sake.

She is a compact cocker weighing in at 11KG (Great in the high seat) and would really like the offspring this fairly small size.

She is a very popular dog and have had many people asking about pups from her, so would like to do her justice in finding the right stud dog and lines to cross her with.

This will be the first litter i have bred so sorry for the questions but would like to get it right.

Any advice on this subject from more experienced people would be great.

Thanks

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what I would do is take it on what suits you. you may have a trial dog that you dont like the look of, or a hard working common dog that pushes your buttons

the most important thing that comes to mins when planning and also when choosing a sire,is to only use a stud who has been BVA/KC eye tested and tmake suer your own bitch has been also.

Trick would be to use something that you have seen working/trialling yourself and liked the look of, also we sometimes think there aren't any but find what the weaker points are with your bitch and then pick a sire that has strong points in those areas and try and compliment each other, or find a sire that you have seen the offspring of work or trial.

Nic

Trick would be to use something that you have seen working/trialling yourself and liked the look of, also we sometimes think there aren't any but find what the weaker points are with your bitch and then pick a sire that has strong points in those areas and try and compliment each other, or find a sire that you have seen the offspring of work or trial.

Nic

[/quote

Yes that makes sense to build on the weaker points.

Cheers for help

In Gloucestershire but dont mind travelling.

Thanks

If you are looking to keep many of your bitches qaulites it might be an idea to consider FTCH Timsgary Barlow he is sired by Argyl Warrior and was also the 2007 cocker champion. I know this is close but you can outcross next time if you keep a bitch pup back.

I can highly recommend Barlow I have a son of his and he's a cracking wee dog with the emphasis on wee as he's a proper sized cocker with a nice strong dog head and thick chest but is tiny in size big in heart

Simons website :

http://www.hawcroftgundogs.co.uk/

Nic

Agree with Nic

I've a Barlow bitch pup. very small, strong head & double thick coat for some reason!!!!

Edited by butcherboy

A good piece of advice I was given some years ago was if you like the look/work ability of a dog then breed from the dog that produced the one you like, advice I took on board when I got my current ESS. I really like FTCH Deepfleet Jay so got a pup out of his sire , FTCH Rytex Ragamuffin.

I also managed to get a Cocker pup from a repeat mating that produced FTCH Timsgarry Barlow, so I know the mating works and it is to be the last litter FTCH Timsgarry Kelly would have, I believe.

Also find out what you can of any offspring from the dog you intend to use and see how they have turned out.

Even with all the best laid plans and research it will not 100% guarentee you will get what you want but you may stand a better chance.

• 5 months later...
A good piece of advice I was given some years ago was if you like the look/work ability of a dog then breed from the dog that produced the one you like, advice I took on board when I got my current ESS. I really like FTCH Deepfleet Jay so got a pup out of his sire , FTCH Rytex Ragamuffin.

I also managed to get a Cocker pup from a repeat mating that produced FTCH Timsgarry Barlow, so I know the mating works and it is to be the last litter FTCH Timsgarry Kelly would have, I believe.

Also find out what you can of any offspring from the dog you intend to use and see how they have turned out.

Even with all the best laid plans and research it will not 100% guarentee you will get what you want but you may stand a better chance.

In Gloucestershire but dont mind travelling.

Thanks

If you are looking to keep many of your bitches qaulites it might be an idea to consider FTCH Timsgary Barlow he is sired by Argyl Warrior and was also the 2007 cocker champion. I know this is close but you can outcross next time if you keep a bitch pup back.

Barlow does produce some excellent dogs, but I am pretty certain that Simon would not allow half brother to sister matings from him.

It is just a bit too close.